• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

downside to jets

phrogpilot73

No, this thread is not dead! Only because I had to let you guys know that I send that sound file to my buddies on email with the subject line "How XX would sound if he was a jet pilot". I've got a buddy from the squadron that tends to shit himself on occasion. He's done it a couple times while flying. Funniest thing I ever saw was in the fuel pits in TQ, and I see him come running out of the cockpit, strip down next to his aircraft and toss his boxers. He still had 5 hours of flying left!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Long time to train. I have friends who commissioned a year after me who are already winged.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
If you gotta be talked into Jets... don't bother. Let someone whose dream is to fly no questions asked have your slot.

Go where you want. You can't lose with whatever you get.

Yep... don't go half-assed into jets (or any of the communities). It's hard, demanding (physically and mentally) work and looooong. Pick a community you really want... helo guys don't want someone who isn't excited to be there any more than jets or P-3 guys want that.

FLASWO

Hello, all:

Can anyone tell me what is the next step after Pro'Rec? How long is the wait and the chance of being final selected for the OCS? My recruiter tells me to stay out of the trouble and I'll be fine. The waiting is the hardest thing.

I'm up for any comments. Thank you!

gtg941f

pilot
FLASWO said:
Hello, all:

Can anyone tell me what is the next step after Pro'Rec? How long is the wait and the chance of being final selected for the OCS? My recruiter tells me to stay out of the trouble and I'll be fine. The waiting is the hardest thing.

I'm up for any comments. Thank you!

this thread is only about defication, what were you thinking when posting. :icon_tong

....anywhere from 1month to several. No set in stone time frames anywhere in the process. learn to wait... ;)

ip568

None
Pluses: great view of the scenery; goes fast; you'll look cool walking to the flight line in all that tacair jet flight gear crap; usually short flights; if you like Gs and aerobatics, you'll definitely get the blond surfer girls/dudes; it's cool; get to drop weapons and blow-up stuff; get nickname of "killer" or "hot monkey love" or "maverick;" aircraft look sexy; short transit time from launch to the scene of the accident;

Minuses: you are strapped in six ways from Sunday and can barely move your head; all that tacair flight gear crap is heavy and confining; no place to do a #2; all you can hear is the other guy breathing; it's cold in those things; seat feels like a saw horse; divorce rate is high; sea duty -- lots of it; more likely to be on CNN blindfolded with your hands tied behind your back while unpleasant people scream for your death; Martin Baker

You get the picture.

Chubby

ip568 said:
Minuses: ... Martin Baker
Dunno, think you have to put that one in the pluses column. I kind of like the idea of being able to get out, nothing sexy about the prospect of riding a helo to the deck when the Jesus Nut goes, or any of a plethora of other malfunctions brings you down. Not that ejecting is all that sexy of a prospect either, but that's just me.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Chubby said:
Dunno, think you have to put that one in the pluses column. I kind of like the idea of being able to get out, nothing sexy about the prospect of riding a helo to the deck when the Jesus Nut goes, or any of a plethora of other malfunctions brings you down. Not that ejecting is all that sexy of a prospect either, but that's just me.

I would have to agree with you there. This is coming from a guy who fly's aircraft with no ejection seats and had to ride one in off a touch-n-go gone horribly wrong. If I had had the yellow and black handle that day, would have pulled it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chubby said:

Never understood why some of my helo buddies would put forward that argument. One of my API instructors was actually a former HT IP NPQed with fused vertebrae after an actual auto gone bad. . . so the Martin-Baker Express isn't the only thing that can break your back!

Pags

N/A
pilot
nittany03 said:
Never understood why some of my helo buddies would put forward that argument. One of my API instructors was actually a former HT IP NPQed with fused vertebrae after an actual auto gone bad. . . so the Martin-Baker Express isn't the only thing that can break your back!
If it's the same guy, the situation was a little more than an actual auto gone bad. If I remember the story correctly, they were flying out by the beach and they got a high frequency vibe through the pedals. They decide to auto it to the beach, and at about 50 ft the tail rotor comes apart and the helo crashes do the deck. I think post-mishap had shown that a small balance weight on the tail rotor had come loose, the resulting imbalance in the rotor system basically destroyed the whole tail rotor. Due to this mishap there's now a high frequency vibration EP with a land immediately landing criteria in it. I think that this was the last mishap the HTs had that resulted in major injury.

We do actual full autos all the time in the Fam stage when we're flying -57Bs. The first few are a little dicey, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. And lord only knows when the last time a Jesus Nut came loose was. Those things are attached 3 ways from sunday.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
If it's the same guy, the situation was a little more than an actual auto gone bad. If I remember the story correctly, they were flying out by the beach and they got a high frequency vibe through the pedals. They decide to auto it to the beach, and at about 50 ft the tail rotor comes apart and the helo crashes do the deck. I think post-mishap had shown that a small balance weight on the tail rotor had come loose, the resulting imbalance in the rotor system basically destroyed the whole tail rotor. Due to this mishap there's now a high frequency vibration EP with a land immediately landing criteria in it. I think that this was the last mishap the HTs had that resulted in major injury.

We do actual full autos all the time in the Fam stage when we're flying -57Bs. The first few are a little dicey, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. And lord only knows when the last time a Jesus Nut came loose was. Those things are attached 3 ways from sunday.
I'll defer to you on the details, but I'll still take my NACES if I happen to have that bad of a day.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Minuses: you don't *really* get a cool callsign you can use to pick up chicks at a bar... more likely to get "Blumpkin" than "Iceman"...