• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Don't Ask Don't Tell going away

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get the feeling that DoD will try and fall onto a path of least resistance on DADT. That is, cease discharges for anyone involuntarily outed (sounds like this is already underway), make it really damn difficult for people to self-out so that it's not a free ticket out of your enlistment (already sorta the standard), and then 'study' the issue to death. Being gay will probably remain on the books as officially illegal, but seldom if ever prosecuted. Same way anything but missionary position with your spouse in a bed is still technically illegal.

Do it that way - sort of a "don't be flaming about it and we'll leave you alone" policy - and DoD gets to ignore all the "do Life Partners get SGLI?" questions, because it's not officially recognized.

Half-assed and unsatisfactory to anyone but basically functional policy...sound like a perfect government solution to me.

m26

Contributor
Half-assed and unsatisfactory to anyone but basically functional policy...sound like a perfect government solution to me.

Sounds good enough to me, but I get the feeling the far left won't be satisfied until there's a "diversity bonus" for openly gay servicemembers. :/

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
OK..... so We are a big social petri dish.....
I respectfully and vehemently disagree with Sec. Gates and ADM Mullen. I also have a hard time buying into that "all the Chiefs" are on board.
THIS decison has nothing to do with Nat'l Security. It has everything to do with cultivating a political base. I think I mentioned before that certain folks in DC see everything through a political prism. I'm not saying that gays can't be stone cold killers....but this pronouncement is not about operational prowess....it's stone cold pandering. I'm saddened by the dearth of leadership speaking for the troops.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I get the feeling that DoD will try and fall onto a path of least resistance on DADT. ...sound like a perfect government solution to me.

I think you correct. And Airman Recruit Jimmy Jones who dares complain to the CoC about the incident with that Torpedoman First Class while they were alone in the aft spud locer will get the shaft .. again.

But what do I know, I am old school.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I'm saddened by the dearth of leadership speaking for the troops.

So, your assertion is that the troops support DADT, and assuming that they do, that should dictate the advice of our leadership? I'm of a mind that doing what you believe to be right, regardless of the popularity, is leadership, but what do I know.

What he said was "you set the policy, we will execute either way, and I think we can and should shift the policy and we won't abandon readiness to do so"; well within his bounds as the CJCS.

And what the Chiefs are "on board" with is Gates' 1-year review of how to execute a lift of DADT. Fine distinction but an important one.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Because if it's AR Jenny Jones and that first class it's always handled appropriately, right?

Right?

Crickets?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... Right?
crickets?

No, not saying that at all. However, should the CJCS tell Congress that the military should not enforce UCMJ article 120, Jenny might stand a far less chance of being heard. However, the CJCS said, inter alia, that UCMJ article 125 should not be enforced.

My point is that SECDEF said this need to be done right. Right is to change the law, not ignore or selectively enforce laws. Just my .02c

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
So, your assertion is that the troops support DADT, and assuming that they do, that should dictate the advice of our leadership? I'm of a mind that doing what you believe to be right, regardless of the popularity, is leadership, but what do I know.

What he said was "you set the policy, we will execute either way, and I think we can and should shift the policy and we won't abandon readiness to do so"; well within his bounds as the CJCS.And what the Chiefs are "on board" with is Gates' 1-year review of how to execute a lift of DADT. Fine distinction but an important one.

No qualms with this....except that CJCS then proceeded to inject his personal views on the issue. And I'm sorry MMX...I don't think that CJCS represents the lion's share of service members on this issue.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
And since when does that matter? His job is to be an advisor, not a mouthpiece.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
OK..... so We are a big social petri dish.....
I respectfully and vehemently disagree with Sec. Gates and ADM Mullen. I also have a hard time buying into that "all the Chiefs" are on board.
THIS decison has nothing to do with Nat'l Security. It has everything to do with cultivating a political base. I think I mentioned before that certain folks in DC see everything through a political prism. I'm not saying that gays can't be stone cold killers....but this pronouncement is not about operational prowess....it's stone cold pandering. I'm saddened by the dearth of leadership speaking for the troops.

Holy Service Dress Khaki's Batman! Am I the only one that is surprised the Admiral is wearing SDB and not SDK??? Scrolling down the page I noticed that before I noticed anything else! Maybe because the SWO's won their push for it he doesn't feel he needs to wear it as much??

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy Service Dress Khaki's Batman! Am I the only one that is surprised the Admiral is wearing SDB and not SDK??? Scrolling down the page I noticed that before I noticed anything else! Maybe because the SWO's won their push for it he doesn't feel he needs to wear it as much??

That is prescribed uniform for testifying on the Hill

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
That is prescribed uniform for testifying on the Hill

aaahhhhhhhh, thank you for the correction HJ. With DC being his stomping ground, I thought he went everywhere in that uniform. Learn something new everyday!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

He stopped wearing it as much when he was CJCS. Since it just came out in message that SDK was an approved uniform, he wasn't authorized to wear it previously. While he was CNO he wore it all the time since it was his perogative to dictate unifrom standards to his service.
Now as CJCS he has no authority over the unform standards of the Navy so he needs to comply.

However now that SDK has been authorized, I would expect to see him in them more often.