• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Don't Ask Don't Tell going away

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
The second to last sentence of the linked article makes it sound like it's only up to the Pentagon to drop the ban. This is a common misunderstanding. The policy has been implemented by statute, and can only be reversed by Congressional action. What the brass is doing now is reviewing steps that will need to be taken within the military establishment in preparation for a possible change in the law.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The second to last sentence of the linked article makes it sound like it's only up to the Pentagon to drop the ban. This is a common misunderstanding. The policy has been implemented by statute, and can only be reversed by Congressional action. What the brass is doing now is reviewing steps that will need to be taken within the military establishment in preparation for a possible change in the law.

I beg to differ. The "statue" bans gays from serving. President Clinton campaigned on promise to repeal the law. When it caused a furor and he realized he could not deliver, he signed an Executive Order implementing a policy. That does not have the force of law. The policy implemented by DoD at behest of the then Commander in Chief is "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (and now joined by "Don't Pursue, "Don't Harass"). Two totally separate things. The second is use of policy in attempt to soften the first (law).

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I beg to defer. The "statue" bans gays from serving. President Clinton campaigned on promise to repeal the law. When it caused a furor and he realized he could not deliver, he signed an Executive Order implementing a policy. That does not have the force of law. The policy implemented by DoD at behest of the then Commander in Chief is "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (and now joined by "Don't pursue, "Don't Harass"). Two totally separate things. The second is use of policy in attempt to soften the first (law).

Right, and the statute was what I was referring to. I should have been more clear. The President or the Pentagon can't simply lift the ban; the law must be chaged for that to happen.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right, and the statute was what I was referring to. I should have been more clear. The President or the Pentagon can't simply lift the ban; the law must be chaged for that to happen.

That makes more sense. Your statement that the "The policy has been implemented by statute, and can only be reversed by Congressional action" isn't a matter of needing to be more clear, it is misleading as the Policy can be changed or revoked by stroke of pen by President with no need to consult Congress at all. If President revoked the Executive Order, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" would go away instantly (but the Ban would still have full force of Law) whereas the Statute enacting the ban (Act of Congress), which the policy attempts to negate does need Congressional Action and then Presidential approval to reverse.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Don't Ask, Don't Tell going away .... ???
va205patchsmall.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't see where any of this changes UCMJ Article 125.....

I always liked THIS portion of the UCMJ :D:D:D:D ... so many laughs, so jolly, so much ALOHA, however slight:

Penetration, however slight, is sufficient to complete the offense ....

It was right up there w/ 'extreme wretchedness' ...
:D:D:D:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Conversation started downhill... now, now... now.

Downhill ???

I don't do 'conversations' ... that's new age, PC bullshit code-word ..... but to the subject??? It went 'downhill' when homosexuals wanted to serve blatantly & openly. "IN YOUR FACE", so to speak ... and when those 'in power' accepted it, to the degradation of our society AND our military. THAT's when it went 'downhill' ...

Get real. Or are you so painfully PC that you just don't have a clue ... ???

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Downhill ???

I don't do 'conversations'

Sustained...
... that's new age, PC bullshit code-word ..... but to the subject??? It went 'downhill' when homosexuals wanted to serve blatantly & openly. "IN YOUR FACE", so to speak ... and when those 'in power' accepted it, to the degradation of our society AND our military. THAT's when it went 'downhill' ...

Like you and all Americans, I'm entitled to my own opinion. Obviously it's different from yours.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Downhill ???

I don't do 'conversations' ... that's new age, PC bullshit code-word ..... but to the subject??? It went 'downhill' when homosexuals wanted to serve blatantly & openly. "IN YOUR FACE", so to speak ... and when those 'in power' accepted it, to the degradation of our society AND our military. THAT's when it went 'downhill' ...

Gay or straight, flaunting your sexuality in a work environment is un-professional. Now if it happens to come out (ie: airman homophobe saw AD3 buttlicker at the OK corral holding hands with a dude and sent an email to AEC hater), that's a different matter, and I don't think the "fags" (sic) should be penalized for the way they are by separating a perfectly 4.0 sailor.

Not calling homosexuals fags and believing they should be allowed to serve if it HAPPENS to come out that they are gay in their own time.... doesn't mean you're PC. It just means you don't hate gay people.

jtmedli

pilot
Downhill ???

Agreed. I'm so sick of the PC/"let's be friends mentality and not hurt anyone's feelings". Something tells me that had we had our current leaders in 1775 then this Nation of ours never would have gotten off the chopping block or even had a chance to begin with. So yeah, I think the problem here goes a little deeper than just this topic.

Gay or straight, flaunting your sexuality in a work environment is un-professional. Now if it happens to come out (ie: airman homophobe saw AD3 buttlicker at the OK corral holding hands with a dude and sent an email to AEC hater), that's a different matter, and I don't think the "fags" (sic) should be penalized for the way they are by separating a perfectly 4.0 sailor.

Not calling homosexuals fags and believing they should be allowed to serve if it HAPPENS to come out that they are gay in their own time.... doesn't mean you're PC. It just means you don't hate gay people.

While I agree with your POV on the matter, I just don't see how this can end well. There are too many problems in relation to gays in the military that cannot be solved simply by repealing a policy and telling everyone to hold hands and be friends.