• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Doing away with IFS?

taxi1

pilot
FAM 1

81DK72.gif

papacarter

College Student
Update: Just heard from one of my OCS buddies that his class is the last IFS class they are going to have due to lack of funding. Apparently the Navy paid for the IFS ground school portion and are waiting to do the flying portion with NIFE.

Also heard that the Navy will probably won't start NIFE until late-August/early-September.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Can confirm

Fam1 - Basic attitude flying at altitude, level speed changes, climbs and descent, turns - do all this along Hwy 90 south of NDZ - then turn around, and intercept Course Rules to Santa Rosa OLF, split the field to the side that has landing spots - demonstrate a normal approach to a hover, then air taxi to hover area to practice low work - hovering, then turns, then finish up demo'ing square patterns. Course rules back to home plate. 1.5 max. Oh even better in the summer in an Old Bravo! (Modex 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Update: Just heard from one of my OCS buddies that his class is the last IFS class they are going to have due to lack of funding. Apparently the Navy paid for the IFS ground school portion and are waiting to do the flying portion with NIFE.

Also heard that the Navy will probably won't start NIFE until late-August/early-September.

49otu5.jpg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Oh even better in the summer in an Old Bravo! (Modex 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145)
The Old Bravos! (57B with the air cycle machine ECS and a few other goodies)

The closest thing in aviation to a turbine engine attached to a lawn chair... and flying only by attitude and power setting. Instrument scan? Here's your instrument scan: Is the oil temperature not in the red? Check. No warning lights? Check. Are the trees the right size? Check.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@Jim123 The Old Bravos were always my go to for VFR cross country (ONAV's) - especially to Key West. Lighter in weight - the ECS was great once at altitude in cruise. Set the TQ to 80-85%, and head SE.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
@Jim123 The Old Bravos were always my go to for VFR cross country (ONAV's) - especially to Key West. Lighter in weight - the ECS was great once at altitude in cruise. Set the TQ to 80-85%, and head SE.
Heh, the opposite of that was when you'd look up your CCX aircraft on the W&B tables and see it was one of the ones in bold print... greeeaaat, one of the heavy ones, probably put on weight from the repairs after a hard landing (or two).

After the infamous hailstorm in 2005, the average weight crept up a little bit- some of the aircraft got airframe repairs in the form of doublers, riveted and bonded to skins and battery doors, to fix hailstone dents.

Good times!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After the infamous hailstorm in 2005, the average weight crept up a little bit- some of the aircraft got airframe repairs in the form of doublers, riveted and bonded to skins and battery doors, to fix hailstone dents.

Good times!
That was the weirdest damn sound in my Q room.

BONG BA BONG BONG . . .
“WTF is that?” (looks outside)
“Holy fuckballs, it’s hailing grapefruits!”

Thankfully I was complete and enroute to Meridian. Because when I left, I’m pretty sure they condemned my Q room for mold. The hail wrecked the crap out of the tarpaper or whatever roof that place had. And I was even on the second floor!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Nowadays (and when I was a stud too in 2011-12), only C's for XCs... Some of the older instructors (mostly reservists) recalled flying B's on XCs, but it would be unheard of these days. Not only that, when I instructed, by the end, they had us leashed to 500 miles and the wing could only go to 3 total XC spots, so you had to horse jockey with other squadrons and see where everyone was going, and were hampered by a maximum lodging rate of $125 total per night. Really limits you, but we still had fun.

Meyerkord

pilot
Fam1 - Basic attitude flying at altitude, level speed changes, climbs and descent, turns - do all this along Hwy 90 south of NDZ - then turn around, and intercept Course Rules to Santa Rosa OLF, split the field to the side that has landing spots - demonstrate a normal approach to a hover, then air taxi to hover area to practice low work - hovering, then turns, then finish up demo'ing square patterns. Course rules back to home plate. 1.5 max. Oh even better in the summer in an Old Bravo! (Modex 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145)
The Old Bravos! (57B with the air cycle machine ECS and a few other goodies)

The closest thing in aviation to a turbine engine attached to a lawn chair... and flying only by attitude and power setting. Instrument scan? Here's your instrument scan: Is the oil temperature not in the red? Check. No warning lights? Check. Are the trees the right size? Check.
This is painfully accurate.

Nowadays (and when I was a stud too in 2011-12), only C's for XCs... Some of the older instructors (mostly reservists) recalled flying B's on XCs, but it would be unheard of these days. Not only that, when I instructed, by the end, they had us leashed to 500 miles and the wing could only go to 3 total XC spots, so you had to horse jockey with other squadrons and see where everyone was going, and were hampered by a maximum lodging rate of $125 total per night. Really limits you, but we still had fun.
Yep, only C's for CCX now. Well... No CCX at all thanks to this damn virus. Closest I did was a 4-hop where we had to remain within 1 leg of home field at all times, and not allowed to leave the FBO ? definitely not ideal, but it is what it is.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
This is painfully accurate.

Yep, only C's for CCX now. Well... No CCX at all thanks to this damn virus. Closest I did was a 4-hop where we had to remain within 1 leg of home field at all times, and not allowed to leave the FBO ? definitely not ideal, but it is what it is.

I feel for ya. For what it's worth - my first 7 months or so we had no XC's so the Blue Angels could fly - we could only go to airshows if they paid for everything that wasn't fuel, and I got to do one down in Corpus Christi when they were willing to pay for 1 of each type of CNATRA bird to come down. The only thing that opened the tap back on for us was when the T-45s went hard down for months and then slowly trickled back online, we were able to tap their XC or some other T-45 flight hour budget.