• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does it matter what training squadron you get at primary

Aeolos

I am a Marine and I will be starting Primary at Whiting Field in training squadron 3. I know that this is the Air Force squadron and I have heard people tell me that 3 sucks, compared to 2 and 6. Is there a training difference or are they basically the same?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It matters a bit but you have no control over it anyway. Just study hard, fly well and things will turn out how they turn out. Dont put any effort into worrying about it jsut do your best. There are alums of every squadron in every community.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
no matter what primary squadron you are in (VT-3, the Luftwaffe, etc) when you're done you'll realize it wasnt that bad and the hype was just that.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Well I know the multiplier hurts 28 studs more than 27, but I'd rather be in 28. Even though it knocked my NSS down when I selected today.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
gregsivers said:
Well I know the multiplier hurts 28 studs more than 27, but I'd rather be in 28. Even though it knocked my NSS down when I selected today.

what'd you get greg?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Exactly.. they all produce studs that all go to the same places.. don't believe any of the rumors.

That said VT-3 sucks and -2 was awsome!

Because we all know how cool it is to walk around looking like the Great Pumpkin, right?
crazy.gif

3 gets a bad rep, mostly based on issues that have been taken care of in the past. The skipper is awesome and there's some great IPs there too, AF and Navy. Went through there, got my first choice, wouldn't trade it. Mefesto is right (at least in his first paragraph.) Your skill and the needs of the Navy/Corps will determine where you end up far more than your squadron.

I also wouldn't call 3 the "Air Force" squadron. Navy CO, pretty much half Navy/Marine IPs, and they use the same Navy syllabus for everybody.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, VT-3 is a Navy squadron that has AF IPs and studs. You can still say head and box in the 3 squadron spaces.

phrogpilot73

Well, VT-6 is usually quicker than the other two. I don't remember how long I was in primary/intermediate, but my friends that started before me in VT-2 and VT-3 checked into HT's after me... If you're in VT-3, enjoy the slow pace - it won't be like that in the fleet!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Because we all know how cool it is to walk around looking like the Great Pumpkin, right?

You're not a real man unless you've worn orange under a flight suit.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
You're not a real man unless you've worn orange under a flight suit.

Makes the studs easier to find after they dump a plane in the woods, I guess . . . :D

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
One of the great things about 6 was no "standby". That's nothing but a complete waste of time. I don't know if policies have changed, but 3 was notorious for putting studs on standby.

In the end, just suck it up and do your best. You have no control over where you go, and worrying about it will only make things worse for you. Do your best and don't sweat your grades and NSS, it will all work out in the end. It's been my experience that selection is usually based more on timing than grades anyway.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will agree. Standby in VT-3 went a little overboard at times. And I'll second the grades thing. If you have a sucky flight it's ok to be mad, but don't obsess over NSS. I never even looked at mine until I completed.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
VT-28 was nutz-o also when it came to standby. There was talk about getting a "100 hour Standby patch" with a couch in the background. At least we had nice leather couches to relax on while on standby.....that, and the "Prop-stop"