• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DoD Vehicle Stickers..

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy announced earlier this year they & Marines are ending the decal, although some facilities are asking for a waiver to keep using them.

How did they announce it?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
There was message traffic announcing that the decals were going away and that official guidance would follow, but nothing official ever came after that. Jax has gone back and forth over the past 4-5 months on whether or not you need a sticker.

Its stupid and we just need to get with the times. ID checks make more sense than a ridiculous decal.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And I imagine if they do go away from decals, they'll find as the AF did, that unless it's DoD-wide, it's useless. Operating on another service's base is more or less the norm nowadays, TAD or PCS.

Personally, I don't see the point of stickers anymore. It was one thing when the gate guard would wave a stickered car through, but if they're always going to check the driver's ID, it seems pretty redundant and time-wasting. Stickering for special parking access - like flight line, pier, CO/XO, O-6+ - is one thing, but what exactly does a base sticker do that checking the driver's ID doesn't?

MasterBates

And on that subject.. What exactly is the gate guard checking for on the back of my ID.. It takes them an extra 2-3 seconds to hand it to them so they can flip it over and look at the back, which multiplied by the numbers of cars coming in the gate.. Makes a normal backup back up onto the highway.

Literally, my gate wait went from 2 to 15 minutes the day they started checking the backs.

I asked a guard why they check the back and what they are looking for.. "I dunno sir, Chief told me to look at the back"

:icon_rage

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
And I imagine if they do go away from decals, they'll find as the AF did, that unless it's DoD-wide, it's useless. Operating on another service's base is more or less the norm nowadays, TAD or PCS.

Personally, I don't see the point of stickers anymore. It was one thing when the gate guard would wave a stickered car through, but if they're always going to check the driver's ID, it seems pretty redundant and time-wasting. Stickering for special parking access - like flight line, pier, CO/XO, O-6+ - is one thing, but what exactly does a base sticker do that checking the driver's ID doesn't?

That is easy to answer: there just aren't enough gedunk jobs for our pregnant airmen, so this way they can also hand out base parking stickers.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
In Kuwait at Camp Arifjan, and at a few Army posts here in the states, there is a system that requires the gate guards to scan the ID cards of all individuals coming on base. With a quick scan, it tells the guard whether or not the ID is valid or expired. I'm not saying this method is particularly efficient, especially at high volumes of traffic. That not withstanding, I'm surprised something like this hasn't been implemented yet. (Not that I really support the pain in the ass that it is, just seems like something the DoD would implement.)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And on that subject.. What exactly is the gate guard checking for on the back of my ID.. It takes them an extra 2-3 seconds to hand it to them so they can flip it over and look at the back, which multiplied by the numbers of cars coming in the gate.. Makes a normal backup back up onto the highway.......

Much easier to forge/fake just one side of an ID than both.

GuyC

None of us are as smart as all of us.
Just a guess, but its to get you used to handing the ID over so that once they DO implement the scanners everywhere it wont be such a supprise. Of course checking to see if its an obvious fake is good too. The sticker did/does validate that the car had insurance and was legal to drive (at least when it was issued) but thats questionable at this point...

phrogpilot73

Much easier to forge/fake just one side of an ID than both.
Flash beat me to it. Plus, there was something that came out from NCIS locally (in the Norfolk area) of a man and woman trying to get on base with faked CAC cards. The mandatory checking of the back happened immediately after that.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Easier to forge with out a back yes, much easier to forge no. Any one that can fake the front can fake the back if they put the effort. In reality, the only thing on there that is essentially impossible to forge is the chip.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
I drove to Millington this weekend, and they still require the DoD sticker. I told the gate guard that the AFB I work at doesn't require a sticker, and that the Navy had issued a memo earlier this year that the Navy was doing away with stickers too. He said "not in Millington". I don't see the purpose of the stickers if they're checking my ID card to get on base. After the guard took my military ID, license, proof of insurance, and registration back to guard shack, it took him about 15 minutes to hand write me a gate pass to get on base. What a waste of my time and his.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I drove to Millington this weekend, and they still require the DoD sticker. I told the gate guard that the AFB I work at doesn't require a sticker, and that the Navy had issued a memo earlier this year that the Navy was doing away with stickers too. He said "not in Millington". I don't see the purpose of the stickers if they're checking my ID card to get on base. After the guard took my military ID, license, proof of insurance, and registration back to guard shack, it took him about 15 minutes to hand write me a gate pass to get on base. What a waste of my time and his.
I thought that was the main premise of the sticker - verification that your vehicle's paperwork was up to speed. If they do away with the stickers, how in the world will the Navy be able to needlessly duplicate the efforts of civilian law enforcement? :rolleyes:

Brett