• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DoD Vehicle Stickers..

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Marines keep red for all enlisted, regardless of grade.

I have never seen placards on a POV. The 5x8" does sound about the right size for the ones we'll put in official vehicles for general officers when they're riding in them.

I've never seen official rank insignia lower than colonel on any vehicle in the Marine Corps. My guess is because reserved spots start at colonel and above. I've seen plenty of the unofficial ones you can buy at the exchange of all ranks. Unless you're a 1stSgt + or a col + I don't see the point of that. The 1stLt or corporal aren't getting the spot by the door on account of their ranks, and just look cheesy doing it. Maybe the culture is a little different in the other services.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marines keep red for all enlisted, regardless of grade.

Navy does the same; I've seen red stickers on cars with Master Chief's anchors next to them and had no clue what the gold was before this thread.

Never heard a thing about the placards though. Isn't five by eight a little big to have a little bar or oak leaf on, though?

jmiller82

RetreadRand:I don't want to sound like an ass, but why start a thread and then answer it with info from another website that you googled?

Actually, you're right.. but after I got the reply from floridaseabee about the AF decals (who actually answered my initial question), I figured they were different for each service, and apparently they are (according to the link earlier - CFR DOD 634.21.5).. I try not to look like an ass, but in this case, I just can't help it (see attachment below).. If anyone knows of the Navy doing things different with their decals, by all means let us know - and what the heck is the purple for?! :D

That would be hard to read wouldn't it?
Haha! Sorry, I meant to say White background and black letters.. Keeps those MP's or renta' cops on edge and squinting!!

Never heard a thing about the placards though. Isn't five by eight a little big to have a little bar or oak leaf on, though?
Yeah, I agree.. I've never seen ANYONE with a 5"x8" (or any one for that matter) on a POV.. What gives?

Attachments

• a$$.jpg
    a$$.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 24

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Haha! Sorry, I meant to say White background and black letters.. Keeps those MP's or renta' cops on edge and squinting!!

Our XO referred to them as jimmy legs at the AOM yesterday, got quite a laugh from everyone. I'll second the red decal for all enlisted, the Chiefs in our squadron have red.

MasterBates

Speaking of NRB RentaCops, they were searching vehicles today at the main gate. Don't know why. They were annoyed when I could not remove my seat or sidepanels from the bike.

What part of "REQUIRES TOOLS" did I not make clear.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Speaking of NRB RentaCops, they were searching vehicles today at the main gate. Don't know why. They were annoyed when I could not remove my seat or sidepanels from the bike.

What part of "REQUIRES TOOLS" did I not make clear.

I love the random searches they do. Almost as cool as that gay radar trailer they had on the way out of the main gate for a few days this week.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And in related news, the AF (to the best of my knowledge) does not have decals any longer. Yay USN/USMC for keeping this gay tradition going, even with 100% ID checks all the time. Must be a secret deal they have with CA smog checkers to increase revenue....

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And in related news, the AF (to the best of my knowledge) does not have decals any longer. Yay USN/USMC for keeping this gay tradition going, even with 100% ID checks all the time. Must be a secret deal they have with CA smog checkers to increase revenue....
I should ask my girlfriend (USAF) how she got on NAS Pensacola without any stickers. It must be just like the clubs...women always seem to get in.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I should ask my girlfriend (USAF) how she got on NAS Pensacola without any stickers. It must be just like the clubs...women always seem to get in.

Apparently because of the the Museum and the Lighthouse you can get on NAS Pcola without stickers.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They check ID regardless of stickers. But if the cuffs and collar don't match (ie, base stickers, no mil ID, or O stickers but E ID), expect to be more thoroughly vetted by James Legs. This has been an issue for those of us who work as civvie contractors on one base, but drill as Reserve O's on another.

GuyC

None of us are as smart as all of us.
The Navy announced earlier this year they & Marines are ending the decal, although some facilities are asking for a waiver to keep using them.