• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DoD Vehicle Stickers..

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
More importantly, how can we justifiy jobs of the grumpy folks who work at Pass and Tag when I show up with a rental car?!?

KBayDog

More importantly, how can we justifiy jobs of the grumpy folks who work at Pass and Tag when I show up with a rental car?!?

helolumpy, this ain't your first ro-day-o:

Take a number, sit for an hour, wait for a mod to tell you to come back with proper documentation, come back on a random day that we decided to close Air Warriors, come back again after we have closed Air Warriors for the day (before the banks), come back the next day (your third day of missing some/all of your work...make sure you sniv with Ops!), take another number, wait another hour...and then you may submit your post on AW.

GuyC

None of us are as smart as all of us.
Just to make things interesting, with random bases deciding NOT to do away with the stickers, you'll never know whether they are going to let you on with just your ID or make you wait for them to do a temp pass. For the moment, NSB Groton and CGA New London both still require stickers (USCG Does not plan to do away with stickers at this time).

VPNAVY

Fly Navy!
Contributor
By MARK WALKER - mlwalker@nctimes.com
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:50 pm​
toilet_newspaper.gif
- Those familiar Department of Defense decals affixed to the windshields of vehicles owned by members of the military and civilian base workers have been deemed no longer necessary to enter Navy or Marine Corps bases...More...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So much for uniformity. This is going to become a giant cluster fuck.

brownshoe

Contributor
I have a contractors decal on my company car (I do a lot of work at Fort Detrick) and can zip through the gate just showing a picture ID. However if a person doesn’t have a decal they have to use a specific gate and every orifice of their vehicle is opened and searched. There are days that line to that gate is extremely long too! Crap, you should see the truck inspection station at Fort Detrick! Cameras, mirrors and all sorts of electronic gizmos! Not to mention all the gates have extensive active and passive barrier systems as well as tiger claws (active barriers = a metal wall that pops out of the ground for you to crash into; passive barriers = stones the size of 1955 Buick’s that line the road shoulders). If they do away with all decals will everyone be subject to searches like I’ve mentioned above? If so it'll take forever to get on base!

Steve

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Never attempt to apply logic or use reason when it comes to military instructions and "standards." Though I think it's funny that big Navy can say "No decals required to get on base" yet the individual installations can basically say FU and do it anyway.

Dont even get me started on how utterly stupid and short-sighted the weapons restrictions on base are.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
This issue totally reminds me of Social Security number usage, especially when they were still on the back of our ID's.

me: "Why do you need my social security number to rent a canoe from MWR?"
civilian: "Thats our policy, sir"
me: "I just did a 100 slide training session on Navy Knowledge online on Personal Information, and you guys don't need my social, nor are you storing the information correctly"
civ: "Sorry but thats our policy"

And repeat over and over with every shop in the unit. "Yeah those other people don't need your social, but we actually do."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I told the birthday-crazed Marines today at work that I would join them in their celebration just as soon as they return my stolen property.

Brett

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
This has been an issue for those of us who work as civvie contractors on one base, but drill as Reserve O's on another.
Why is it an issue? You can enter any DoD facility with any DoD decal and a CAC. If your vehicle has an Officer DoD decal for JAX and you work as a contractor at Mayport, you can drive the car with Officer DoD decal for JAX and show your military CAC when entering Mayport.

I never use my contractor CAC to enter a base and only use my military CAC, even when driving on one base to work as a contractor (my vehicles have Officer decals).

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
They continue to embrace the false and utterly illogical assumption that having a sticker accurately indicates that the car has both current registration and valid insurance.
Especially considering that a Flag Officer can simply take his DoD Decal placard and place it on the dashboard of another vehicle.