• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DOD commits to M9 A1 (improved) Pistol for now...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i really need to make 0-2 already. I've been drooling over the Kimber case at the sharpshooter, and my tastes are rapidly exceeding my means.

LOL. 0-2 and 0-3 will come quick enough and you hardly have to fog a mirror, then expectations and length of time for next rank will increase substantially. Enjoy your relative bliss while you can!

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I don't own an M9 because I hate that double action trigger. Under stressful conditions a double action pull on the first round and a single action pull on the second round is an accident waiting to happen. Unless of course you shoot enough to get used to it. Qualifing with it once a year isn't enough IMHO.

I sure love the way it fits my hand though.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I used to do Pistol (M9) and Shotgun (M870) ranges at least once a month and have put a fair amount of rounds through the M9 in various circumstances (standing, behind cover, moving, running, in a stack, etc...) and have had no problems with it.

Seems like it is fashionable to bash the M9, so I thought I would throw out a "positive" perspective on it.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Seems like it is fashionable to bash the M9, so I thought I would throw out a "positive" perspective on it.

I don't think people are saying it is a bad weapon, just that there are many better choices out there.

I do agree though, it is a good, easy shooter.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I don't think people are saying it is a bad weapon, just that there are many better choices out there.

I do agree though, it is a good, easy shooter.

+1

As I said I love the way an M9 fits my hand I just don't do well with double action pistols no matter who makes them. I like double action only fine and single action better. I have one Marine son who shoots the M9 really well and another, who like me, shoots SA or DAO weapons much better.

As long as it works every time (and M9's with factory mags do) Hadji don't care if you center punch him with a 9mm or 45 cal. Dead is dead.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's amazing the arguments people get into over caliber when it comes to defensive handguns. 9 MM wins in my mind simply because it's a standard in the logistics chain. As I heard a NSW guy say years ago - two times 115 grains is 230!!!!!!

MasterBates

Why I don't like the M9

It's large. Yet it has small grips (for females according to urban legend)
So even though its large, my large hands don't fit it for crap (size 14-16 gloves)
Capacity is OK. But if I am shooting ball, I want the biggest hole I can get. 9mm's velocity only helps if it can expand.

I love my double-stack 1911. Feeds fine. Fits my hand. If I can't solve my current problem with 13+1 + 26 more in the spares, I am in deep kimchee and in over my head.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Your argument works against every firearm the military could possibly use.

I guarantee that there is someone out there who would not find a 1911 ergonomic, so according to your argument that would be unacceptable.

You yourself say that your hands are bigger than average - but the military needs to use standardized gear for many things (firearms included), so they have to go with the average size.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Your argument works against every firearm the military could possibly use.

I guarantee that there is someone out there who would not find a 1911 ergonomic, so according to your argument that would be unacceptable.

You yourself say that your hands are bigger than average - but the military needs to use standardized gear for many things (firearms included), so they have to go with the average size.
I don't have huge hands, and I find the Baretta to have a crappy feel to it. I also hate the way the trigger behaves.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
EVERYONE said:
Various gripes about M9: size, caliber, DA/SA, crummy trigger
Sig P250 anyone? It's DAO, but has a pretty light trigger pull. Size is adjustable, but even in full size it's less bulky than M9. And custom sizing it to the shooter's hands involves only a couple of snaps. If we could handle the logistics support issues, you could have units customize their calibers.

All the plastic parts sort of work against it as a service weapon, but then again how many LEOs carry Glocks?

Just a thought. . .somebody older and wiser feel free to tap my peepee for thinking out of the box here. . .:D

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
S&W M&P :)

Plastic parts are an advantage - look at the reliability of Glock. DOD/.mil hates anything without an external, manual safety but as a weapon can you really beat a Glock?

busdriver

None
The M9 is not without plenty of fault. I don't know what it is, but I agree it just doesn't feel right in my hand. But I could get over that if it weren't for the worst combat handgun sights on the face of the earth. The rest, the overly long DA pull, strange feeling grip, etc. is secondary to those damn sights.