• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DOD commits to M9 A1 (improved) Pistol for now...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I was at my local dealer and saw a flyer for the Beretta M9A1 - apparently, DOD is buying these in bulk for all services going forward.

Has anyone seen these weapons in the field yet?

Attached is the press release and pic:

M9A1.jpg

U.S. Marines Add to M9A1 Inventory
Beretta to complete pistol system deliveries in 2006

ACCOKEEK, MD—July 29, 2006—Beretta USA today announced that it has received another order from the United States Marine Corps for the M9A1 pistol system. The pistol system consists of the Beretta M9A1 pistol, a tactical holster from Blackhawk products Group, and Beretta’s specially designed sand-resistant PVD magazines.

“This brings the total number of M9A1’s ordered by the Marines to over 7,500 in the last 12 months,” stated E. Scott Blackwell, Vice President and Division Manager – Manufacturing & Product Development for Beretta USA.

The M9A1 9mm pistol evolved from the base design of the Beretta produced M9 pistol, currently being fielded by all service branches of the U.S. Armed Forces. The M9A1 was developed with input from various U.S. Military and Law Enforcement personnel keeping the proven attributes and reliability of the battle-tested M9, with added enhancements. At their suggestion a Picatinny rail was added for the attachment of tactical lights and/or laser aiming devices, and radical cross-checkering was applied to the front and back straps to allow for enhanced grip-ability in adverse conditions.

Additionally, the M9A1 embodies an aggressive bevel to the magazine well of the frame, to enable fast tactical reloads in combat situations of the new sand-resistant PVD-coated magazines. Beretta designed these new magazines after testing in the harsh conditions of Afghanistan and Iraq. Included as part of the M9A1 pistol system is a Blackhawk Products Group holster. The holster to be supplied is based off of Blackhawk's popular CQC™ SERPA system, and will be supplied in a Coyote Tan color.

“Between the U.S. Marines and other US Law Enforcement customers, we have sold well over 10,000 of the M9A1’s in 2006. This is a credit to the legacy of the M9 pistol, which for over 20 years has been at the side of our service men and women around the globe, as well as the input from numerous users looking to make the most battle proven and worthy 9mm pistol, even better,” stated Blackwell.

The M9A1, like the standard M9 pistol, is manufactured at Beretta USA’s Accokeek, Maryland facility. Beretta USA has been continuously manufacturing the M9 pistols since 1988. The average reliability of M9 pistols currently being built under US Military contracts and tested at Beretta U.S.A. is 17,500 rounds without a stoppage. During one test, twelve M9 pistols fired 168,000 rounds without a single malfunction. Since being awarded the original contract in 1985, Beretta has supplied over 500,000 pistols to the U.S. Military.

Beretta is the oldest industrial dynasty in the world, tracing its roots through 16 generations of continuous family ownership back to 1526. Firearms bearing the Beretta name have been sold for over 475 years. Founded in 1977, Beretta U.S.A. Corp. manufactures, distributes and markets a complete line of firearms, accessories and apparel. Beretta Total Solutions for Law Enforcement offers a full line of firearms and accessories, including Benelli Tactical, Sako, and Tikka products to thousands of law enforcement and military agencies worldwide.

Skeet

Banned
Yes, and I'm not afraid to rely on the latest model. I've shot 500 rounds without a misfire,or jam. I tossed it in the sand, and it still works. I'd just like a .45 ACP. Call me next week, I'll be in Iraq.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Skeet - How's the training going? How do you like flying the MD530? No hydraulics for you!

Are you all geared up?

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
After writing a long reply I noticed the date of the original post. That is ten minutes of my life that I will never get back...

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Yeah, awesome if you want a huge side arm. They can have my M11 when they pry it from my hands.

ChuckMK23

pilot
yo dude the m9 has been standard for years

Most insightful post ever!

Yes the M9 has been standard sidearm for many years - since the 80's. BUT there was a concerted effort in 2004-2005 to field a replacement and the program became the Joint Combat Pistol program. The thought was that this program would find service sponsorship when enough pain was felt over the aging M9 that it had to be replaced. The Air Force was close and so was the Army. At first .45 ACP was mandated then the USAF directed a move to .40 S&W. But the project never got past the requirements phase because of lack of consensus.

The USMC finally threw up their hands and procured the M9A1 - significant because it was low risk and an incremental improvement over the M9.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
...If only they'd let me take a personal weapon to combat...

I'd even agree to use 9mm...if I had to. Just not that damned Beretta.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I can't put into words how little I "like" the Beretta ... had one -- gladly sold it a long time ago.

.... whether it be the M9 or 92FS ... all that size, weight, lousy trigger, too wide grip, slide mounted safety ... it does have a "smooth" slide operation, complements of its locking block system which does NOT cam the barrel downward during the firing sequence and a BIG magazine capacity ... but in it's military variant, it is supplied w/ 9mm FMJ which is and always has been a problematical cartridge.

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... if I can "only have one" .... :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i really need to make 0-2 already. I've been drooling over the Kimber case at the sharpshooter, and my tastes are rapidly exceeding my means.

Bevo16

pilot

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... if I can "only have one" .... :)

I have a stainless Colt Series 70 1911, and I consider it the greatest pistol ever made.

I also have a Smith and Wesson M&P 9MM that is superior to the Beretta in every way, and much better than the similar Glocks.

If we keep having budge cuts, we can always call this guy for some of his weapons and contract a training video.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
If we keep having budge cuts, we can always call this guy for some of his weapons and contract a training video.

The budget cuts look like they are already being felt in other parts of the world...

budget-cuts.jpg

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The only thing that I like about the M9 is that it is a good, easy shooter. Its large size and small caliber make it easy to consistently put rounds on target. I am, however, a .45 man. There are many .45ACP pistols out there that are smaller, lighter, AND can carry almost as much .45 as the M9 does 9mm.