• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Slap a red sticker on it - boom, secret?
The problem is that it transmits 3G/WiFi (model dependent). There's going to have to be a way to disable the way it talks to the outside world to make it a legit device for handling classified info. I'm afraid the "airplane mode" ain't gonna cut it.

magnetfreezer

If you classify the IPAD, then you'd have to diable the Wifi and 3G/LTE capability. There goes you moving map functionality....
USB mini-GPS receiver? Wifi can probably be disabled by opening the case and clipping/disconnecting the wireless antenna, same for the microphone

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If nothing else, then get the pubs on CD on the boat. We would save a shit-ton of money, waste and asspain by moving to these. I'm trying to look up the IFC right now as I would love to use an iPad in flight (officially of course). Throw out a contract request, or just a polite question to Otterbox about making a case with an NVG screen and I'm sure they would jump on it. (and we would already be 20 years ahead of anything PMA decides to try and develop.)

I was wondering if the screen was a) NVG friendly (many LCDs are) and if not, b) how do you interact with the screen if it has a cover over it? Is the cover just a filtered screen protector?

If you could get the iPad to work with JMPS, that'd be best, since that's the way the wind is blowing. Plus, JMPS DAFIF is already updated, it would just have to be pushed to the iPad.

I'm pretty sure the DAFIF stuff is already on the NGS site. I was poking around on there last week looking for other stuff and found the iOS section. You can download stuff in .zip format. It was around 500 MB, I think.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes, fleet JMPS is classified (or at least is for RW). So if you wanted to hook your iPad to JMPS it'd be classified and now your nav bag is classified. I guess what users will have to answer is what do you want it to do? If you just want rudimentary moving map stuff with no JMPS interaction, then you could probably go unclassified. If you want to use it for tactical purposes and keep imagery, etc on it, you'd probably have to go classified. I'd imagine there are some oth wickets to getting it legally certified for secret beyond just slapping a secret sticker on it and disabling the wifi.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Moving map nav and charts sounds sweet, but I can't imagine NAVAIR ever authorizing it for that. Your aircraft have systems for that already, tested and proven by NAVAIR.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
In January NGA released an IPAD app called PHAERO which runs all the FLIPS. As most of you know when the squadron receives 20 boxes of FLIPS it also receives the electronic versions as well. A CD a came with our FLIPS that has the new app on it along with all the flight pubs needed included GP and AP as well. I downloaded it to my IPAD and tried it out on our last CCX to AUTEC. It's awesome. Very user friendly and one stop shop for everything.

https://www1.nga.mil/MediaRoom/LeadingStories/Pages/NGALaunchesNewDODAeronauticalApp.aspx

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not suggesting every platform has a moving map, just that they have a Nav system. I think the general debate here comes down to what would be nice to have vs. what NAVAIR is likely to authorize. It would be great if we all had a relatively inexpensive gucci moving map display that can do all the things the iPad can do. That said, I don't think NAVAIR is going to approve untested COTS navigation apps for you to fixate on in your cockpit while you shoot a quasi-GPS approach while ignoring your primary NAV source. If I can't legally shoot a GPS approach with my NAVAIR approved and tested EGI-based system becaue of some little detail like "integrity monitoring," then I can't imagine NAVAIR wants aircrew to be staring at the little moving dot on their iPad approach plates instead of referencing your HSI and DME.

Call me old fashioned, but I can't imagine trying to find your way on a high chart by scrolling around on an iPad. Doing proper route study (even for a XC airnav) means you don't have to use the search function to find a fix. More often than not, I want to be able to spread my high chart out to get a big picture perspective. I don't imagine one can do that on the iPad.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In January NGA released an IPAD app called PHAERO which runs all the FLIPS. As most of you know when the squadron receives 20 boxes of FLIPS it also receives the electronic versions as well. A CD a came with our FLIPS that has the new app on it along with all the flight pubs needed included GP and AP as well. I downloaded it to my IPAD and tried it out on our last CCX to AUTEC. It's awesome. Very user friendly and one stop shop for everything.
How do you get the maps on the device? I want to try it out. :D

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
How do you get the maps on the device? I want to try it out. :D

Your PUBSO should have the CD stashed somewhere. Its a normal looking NGA CD thats says it has the IPAD IOS 5 APP on it. Im our PUBSO so I took it home, loaded it on my MAC then transferred it to my IPAD. The total transfer took about 45 min. It no shit has everything. Airport info, charts, GP, AP, approach plates, arrivals, departure, airport diagram, Sups, MTR's and legends. It has a "how to" file on the CD. I brought the IPAD in and showed the JO's and our front office couple weeks ago. XO asked me for the CD so he could put it on his IPAD. He said something about NAVAIR already approving the use of them. Like I said, it worked great on our CCX to AUTEC.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm not suggesting every platform has a moving map, just that they have a Nav system. I think the general debate here comes down to what would be nice to have vs. what NAVAIR is likely to authorize. It would be great if we all had a relatively inexpensive gucci moving map display that can do all the things the iPad can do. That said, I don't think NAVAIR is going to approve untested COTS navigation apps for you to fixate on in your cockpit while you shoot a quasi-GPS approach while ignoring your primary NAV source. If I can't legally shoot a GPS approach with my NAVAIR approved and tested EGI-based system becaue of some little detail like "integrity monitoring," then I can't imagine NAVAIR wants aircrew to be staring at the little moving dot on their iPad approach plates instead of referencing your HSI and DME.

Call me old fashioned, but I can't imagine trying to find your way on a high chart by scrolling around on an iPad. Doing proper route study (even for a XC airnav) means you don't have to use the search function to find a fix. More often than not, I want to be able to spread my high chart out to get a big picture perspective. I don't imagine one can do that on the iPad.
Concur. I highly doubt navair would authorize it for actual nav purposes.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, about that. I don't currently have a PUBSO. :( Does it go through the iTunes on your computer? I guess I've never loaded an app in any other way than the app store. I'll have to steal a CD from someone. As an aside, I can see a 45 minute transfer time being a real PITA if you have a bunch of iPads.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, about that. I don't currently have a PUBSO. :( Does it go through the iTunes on your computer? I guess I've never loaded an app in any other way than the app store. I'll have to steal a CD from someone. As an aside, I can see a 45 minute transfer time being a real PITA if you have a bunch of iPads.
That's why god made PQMs.