• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do we have any say where we attend primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
There are always exceptions, waivers, etc. You'll never know if you don't ask.

phrogpilot73

I told the MATSG-21 student control officer that I understood that generally single guys headed to Corpus - but that I was strongly leaning towards helos, and didn't want the government to have to move me twice (out to Corpus and back to Whiting) if they didn't have to. In my API class, I was the only single Marine to stay in Whiting.

Renegade One

None
With the likelihood of being sent to Corpus for Primary (being single and what not), is it smarter to live in the BOQ for API, or is it easy enough to get out of a lease that I could swing living off base?(I searched, but couldn't find anything on it)
I only have one word of advice for you, little Padawan: "Focus". I am no doubt dating the cr@p out of myself, but the BOQ during API will be your friend. It "used to be" a small nexus of everyone thinking about the same things, and studying and getting through it together. If that's not to your taste, but you think some "Jersey Shore" experience in the area may be more to your liking...well, there you go.
"Do or do not...there is no TRY!"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I only have one word of advice for you, little Padawan: "Focus". I am no doubt dating the cr@p out of myself, but the BOQ during API will be your friend. It "used to be" a small nexus of everyone thinking about the same things, and studying and getting through it together. If that's not to your taste, but you think some "Jersey Shore" experience in the area may be more to your liking...well, there you go.
"Do or do not...there is no TRY!"

I don't disagree with your message, but here's another point of view (and I'm not saying it's more or less valid than yours)...

I haven't stayed in the "old" BOQs, but have stayed in the newer ones while I was TAD at NPA for 5 weeks. For me, quality of life in the Q just doesn't work for me. I find it hard to study, especially when I'm dependent on BOQ furniture, I tend to not eat as well when I stay in the Q, even if there's a stove, it's still not "home." I also like being able to leave base and come home after being at "school" all day. During API, this allowed me to reset and then study (or not) that evening.

All that said, I was a PCS to API and I had all my stuff with me, which helps, but just another perspective.

With the likelihood of being sent to Corpus for Primary (being single and what not), is it smarter to live in the BOQ for API, or is it easy enough to get out of a lease that I could swing living off base?(I searched, but couldn't find anything on it)

Considering the probability that you'll knock up a stripper between now and then, you might want to look for areas with good schools so you and Trixie can raise a smart kid.

Renegade One

None
I don't disagree with your message, but here's another point of view (and I'm not saying it's more or less valid than yours)...

I haven't stayed in the "old" BOQs, but have stayed in the newer ones while I was TAD at NPA for 5 weeks. For me, quality of life in the Q just doesn't work for me. I find it hard to study, especially when I'm dependent on BOQ furniture, I tend to not eat as well when I stay in the Q, even if there's a stove, it's still not "home." I also like being able to leave base and come home after being at "school" all day. During API, this allowed me to reset and then study (or not) that evening.

All that said, I was a PCS to API and I had all my stuff with me, which helps, but just another perspective.
Yep...dating myself. But here's why...I lived in the dorms all four years of my civilian college life. couldn't afford anything else, and didn't know any better. BOQ furniture had all that beat to hell. Never had a stove in a BOQ...not ever. But we had this "very gentlemanly thing" called a "Closed Officers' Mess". Sorry you all missed out on the more-like-a "Spitfire Squadron During the Battle of Britain" experience that was available in my day.

I need to take a deep breath and remember sometimes that I'm occasionally interfacing with a newer generation. I think y'all are probably better than we were, in many ways. Whatever floats your boat.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yep...dating myself. But here's why...I lived in the dorms all four years of my civilian college life. couldn't afford anything else, and didn't know any better. BOQ furniture had all that beat to hell. Never had a stove in a BOQ...not ever. But we had this "very gentlemanly thing" called a "Closed Officers' Mess". Sorry you all missed out on the more-like-a "Spitfire Squadron During the Battle of Britain" experience that was available in my day.

I need to take a deep breath and remember sometimes that I'm occasionally interfacing with a newer generation. I think y'all are probably better than we were, in many ways. Whatever floats your boat.

An actual place to go eat that isn't Subway or the Golf Course is just something too foreign. I'm pretty sure you're making that up.

That's a good point, and when I was an API stud, they did have the galley there (for all the schools), but I'm not sure if it was open for dinner for walk-ins. It probably was, I just never needed to investigate. Someone here can chime in if it's still open.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Now that base security is stopping folks for running on base and wearing headphones, I can not come up with one single benefit for ever living in gov't housing.

There's very few places to eat and if you have one beer you have to sweat getting pulled over....

Maybe times have changed from Renegades time. It used to be the Navy encouraged you to do things on base and with your shipmates. Today's Navy is looking for ways to cull the hurd all in the name of Safety and "healthy living".

Renegade One

None
I'm sure whatever used to be "Closed Officers' Messes" are now bowling alleys, vending machine arcades or Navy Relief donation centers...not that that's a bad thing... :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Now that base security is stopping folks for running on base and wearing headphones, I can not come up with one single benefit for ever living in gov't housing.

Have you seen the new (or even the old) housing at MCBH K-Bay?

Otherwise, I agree.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'm not exactly sure how the thread got derailed, but I wouldn't give up on getting BAH to live in the Q and have to deal with the hassle of being on base. Times have changed, it ain't 1965 anymore. I appreciate the glory days of an AOCSer showing up to the cradle with only a backpack, getting his commission, then living in the BOQ with other single studs and studying/working/partying as a team. As it stands, now that single guys can get BAH to live in town, it just isn't done. Get a small apartment or a house with friends and live it up in A-Pool and API.

Oh, and for the OP, I'll echo what's been said. Generally, single studs go to Corpus and married to Whiting. If you have a reason to switch that up, just ask, but ask early in API. If you wait until week 4, you'll be screwed.

Oh, and for the OP, I'll echo what's been said. Generally, single studs go to Corpus and married to Whiting. If you have a reason to switch that up, just ask, but ask early in API. If you wait until week 4, you'll be screwed.
I'm a married guy who would prefer to go to Corpus for family reasons. When you say to ask, who is it that I'm supposed to talk to? Instructors, a processor, or just my dream sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.