• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do we have any say where we attend primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
There was an office that had a board with everyone classeed up that they used to organize and slate each class for the three training wing options. Usually moving your name around on a daily basis as they find out the needs change from one location to another. Once you class up and your name is relevant. They will prob start the names off their requested location and then move them around for there. A long with drawing names from the bucket for Vance. You can go ask them but I doubt they will change much. My class leader actually gave us updates occasionally like we have to draw for Vance again, because someone rolled or more people are going to have to go to whiting ect. So put it on your dream sheet but telling someone you REALLY want to go there is welll, def not going to make make them want to do you a favor

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
My dream sheet originally said whiting and they did let me change my preference to corpus... I almost still got stuck with whiting, but someone volunteered to change. Whatever that's worth. There is no set in stone way any of it works

My dream sheet originally said whiting and they did let me change my preference to corpus... I almost still got stuck with whiting, but someone volunteered to change. Whatever that's worth. There is no set in stone way any of it works
In your opinion, does your Primary location have any bearing on your selection pipeline? For instance, I'm leaning Helos but would like to go to Corpus for Primary.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
No, when ever I visit fiends in corpus I meet more and more people all getting first choice helos, actually not sure if I have heard of anyone not get it. Except once, but somehow they got it switched. It is more rare for a corpus guy to get meridian over knock though. That too has stories of people in corpus requesting k rock and getting meridian. The only certainty in the vt's is nothing. So just don't get your feelings hurt make the best of where you are... Your prob moving again in 6 months so not a big deal as long as you meet the goal at the end

No, when ever I visit fiends in corpus I meet more and more people all getting first choice helos, actually not sure if I have heard of anyone not get it. Except once, but somehow they got it switched. It is more rare for a corpus guy to get meridian over knock though. That too has stories of people in corpus requesting k rock and getting meridian. The only certainty in the vt's is nothing. So just don't get your feelings hurt make the best of where you are... Your prob moving again in 6 months so not a big deal as long as you meet the goal at the end
I assume the same would go for guys who want Jets? Corpus or Whiting would not provide an advantage either way?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
In your opinion, does your Primary location have any bearing on your selection pipeline? For instance, I'm leaning Helos but would like to go to Corpus for Primary.

No difference. I was a Corpus guy and went Helos. When you start API, talk to your class advisor and let him know you want to go to Corpus and why. They will do what they can.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I assume the same would go for guys who want Jets? Corpus or Whiting would not provide an advantage either way?

People will claim that Corpus is "easier" because there's almost no course rules (how you get in and out of the various airfields). What they forget is that if you go to Whiting (where there a lot of course rules), everyone else is also having to learn them, so it nets out statistically.

Don't put a whole lot of stock in what you think you want to fly until you start flying, but if you're pretty serious about helos, having to move up to three times in a year can be a pain. (API->Corpus->Whiting).

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Corpus is actually very pretty for flying. You spend a lot of time out over the water and dawn/dusk flights are great. I was (am) a married guy and I got Corpus. You just go to student control and see what happens. Get used to student control..They are pretty much your one stop shop for most things, since your entire focus should be studying for flights.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I hate Crapus Crusti and Krapsville with a passion but as an IP, it's hard to beat the flying out of Krapsville. When I was in API, I blew my knee out so spent 8 extra months in P-cola so selected Corpus for a change of scenery. I for one would much rather fly the T-6B vice the T-34C but from my perspective, I have yet to see a difference in the performance of the T-6/T-34 studs though I tend to think the Vance guys do a bit better in Phase 1 for whatever reason.

jtmedli

pilot
That's why I wanted to stay at Whiting for Primary. I ended up living in P-Cola for 2 1/2 years...

It's gonna end up being 1-1/2 years for me but same story. The only shitty part is having roommates who go elsewhere and having to move or find new roomies.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I really wanted Whiting in API for a chance to fly the T-6 and asked for it, and was initially told that I got it, and everyone had their first choice of location. Then two weeks into API, all single guys were automatically sent to Corpus. I'm really happy the way it worked out though. Corpus wasn't my favorite place, but I'm glad I flew the T-34 and I did have a lot of fun down there. I'm in Meridian now and it's a pretty even split between Corpus/Whiting guys and T-6/T-34, so as was said earlier, it doesn't matter where the Hell you go, work hard and put yourself in a position to succeed.

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
Yep...dating myself. But here's why...I lived in the dorms all four years of my civilian college life. couldn't afford anything else, and didn't know any better. BOQ furniture had all that beat to hell. Never had a stove in a BOQ...not ever. But we had this "very gentlemanly thing" called a "Closed Officers' Mess". Sorry you all missed out on the more-like-a "Spitfire Squadron During the Battle of Britain" experience that was available in my day.

I need to take a deep breath and remember sometimes that I'm occasionally interfacing with a newer generation. I think y'all are probably better than we were, in many ways. Whatever floats your boat.

This is an old thread, but I just had to point out that this may be another example of how times have changed. I had to move out of the dorms because they were too expensive. Maybe my situation was different from a typical experience, small private college in a large city vs large state college in a small college town, but my girlfriend who attended Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN made the same move.

Status
Not open for further replies.