• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diversity... what you need to know

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
And here is the problem with forced diversity efforts... She may be the most qualified person for the job (and I don't know enough about the SWO/Gator Navy to guess), but she is now the "first black woman to....", appointed to the position by a minority President and there will always be an unfair shadow of doubt cast around her because of it.

In the end, she is the victim because her credibility is undermined by the Navy's diversity push - quite the unintended consequence.

Hmmm. Who didn't see this coming? She' about to put on a fourth star and this is the narrative.

And apparently we need more training - we don't look quite right yet?

Diversity of thought and experience? Absolutely needed. Using race and gender as a proxy for this experience? Despicable.

:rolleyes:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/12/admiral-michelle-howard-nomination/#!xLOcy

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So communal showers straight out Starship Troopers is just around the corner? I think people are going to be disppointed that their squadron mates don't look like Denise Richards and Dina Meyer naked.

20120525-232245.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Being offered accommodations that strike a fair compromise between all interested parties - and saying no to it; because "fairness." That's what the article is about, and what I see coming our way.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Being offered accommodations that strike a fair compromise between all interested parties - and saying no to it; because "fairness." That's what the article is about, and what I see coming our way.

I think you are probably right, though with the limited accommodations in many places there aren't a lot of options to argue for special treatment one can get in 'real' life.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I would argue that the offer of a single bathroom was more than reasonable. I am continuously beside myself that this is not dealt with "you have a penis, you are a boy, you use the men's room. You have a vagina, you are a girl, you use the woman's room. I don't care what you think you are or what you want to be, that is what you are." Particularly when this happens at the elementary school level. This is not any less ridiculous than the following video (NSFW, obviously...):

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Agree with the last two posts; offering special accommodations is more than generous, and probably more than is "fair." But, it's not going to be enough.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Agree with the last two posts; offering special accommodations is more than generous, and probably more than is "fair." But, it's not going to be enough.
That's because we've gone from a legitimate civil rights issue wrt gay marriage and the associated benefits of that being recognized by law into full retard mode where apparently the other 99%+ of society has to accomodate people who are in denial about whether they are a boy or girl.

FWIW, I find it odd that the repeal of DADT was a huge deal (which actually had virtually no effect on the deckplate), but there's nary a peep about the military recognizing gay marriage and providing the associated benefits. And to anyone who says that such a policy would result in mass 'fake' marriage by enlisted men to get more benefits, I would respond with that is no excuse to deny legitimately gay couples the same benefits straight couples have and that maybe we have to take a hard look at why the military treats single servicemembers as second-class citizens.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I think will be a relatively minor issue due to the small number of folks this applies to. I think it'll be a problem in two types of instances:

- Someone is 'that guy/gal' to begin with like Bradley Manning or Romo's B___
- An issue with the command

I think issues would likely be the first instance but they will still be relatively rare, the few instances that will almost certainly be highlighted by the media notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's because we've gone from a legitimate civil rights issue wrt gay marriage and the associated benefits of that being recognized by law into full retard mode where apparently the other 99%+ of society has to accomodate people who are in denial about whether they are a boy or girl.

FWIW, I find it odd that the repeal of DADT was a huge deal (which actually had virtually no effect on the deckplate), but there's nary a peep about the military recognizing gay marriage and providing the associated benefits. And to anyone who says that such a policy would result in mass 'fake' marriage by enlisted men to get more benefits, I would respond with that is no excuse to deny legitimately gay couples the same benefits straight couples have and that maybe we have to take a hard look at why the military treats single servicemembers as second-class citizens.
I am pretty sure the military now recognizes same sex marriages with all the same benefits.