• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diversity... what you need to know

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FIFY. I have a personal affinity for very tall people who know how to work a pole…

You know…firemen and such…and others. ;)
Hah, then you're probably familiar with my local Lemon Grove "Pole-ish" Little Darlings Cafe. I've heard a lot about it (especially the raid last month - and it wasn't Health Dept. Food Inspectors). But being the clean living Dude that I am... I've never been there myself!:eek:
Lil Darlin's-3.jpg Lil Darlin's-2.jpg Lil Darlin's-1.jpg
BzB

croakerfish

pilot
I really hesitated to the link below..... However it is absolutely amazing how prolific racial slurs are around the world. While a few are benign and maybe some even a bit humorous, the vast majority are offensive, and indeed are intended to be offensive, often exceedingly so. Almost no one is spared. In fact someone could be killed for uttering some of these slurs in the wrong place and circumstance.

Also regarding the previously mentioned, “Irish Pennant,” I had never heard the term until AOCS. Being Irish, I was just a little offended. Fortunately for me the Marine DIs never knew that.

The Racial Slur Database

possibly NSFW

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
possibly NSFW
Would have been suitable in my old ready rooms. Racial and other slurs were somewhat common, and often led to callsigns.
But if anyone called me a "lard-ass" I would have decked him! Thick skins do have some limits.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The legal pitfalls that come with hiring employees are insane. You are, of course, aren't allowed to discriminate in any way when hiring/recruiting/referring employees, but if you happen to hire the wrong amount of one race/gender/whatever compared to another you open yourself up to a lawsuit. For instance, if you have a test that applicants take, and white people happen to score higher than minorities, you can be sued if you use that test as a basis for hiring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Lawyers'_Committee_for_Civil_Rights_Under_Law#Lewis_Firefighter_Case
It's important to read the fine print when quoting cases because the headlines frequently miss the underlying legal issues.

Yes, the case arose out of [probably ridiculous] racial concerns, but the ruling was ultimately based on whether or not the Chicago FD written test was a valid exam. Chicago couldn't demonstrate that their written test accurately assessed someone's ability to perform as a firefighter and why their standard was set where it was, which makes the question of whether a certain race could pass it inconsequential. Having gone through various FF training and drills and supervising people who have passed exams on the subject, I can see why a reasonable, educated judge would find that a written exam cannot accurately predict one's performance in actually putting out fires.

FWIW, public employers come under a lot more scrutiny than private employers, who don't typically give entrance exams, so you're kind of comparing apples to oranges. The courts are much less willing to intervene in private industry without overwhelming evidence that discrimination has occurred (as I pointed out previously, statistically it is very difficult to prove that your hiring practices are discriminatory solely based on the composition of your workforce in most locations). Also, you can be sued for almost anything, and because we refuse to adopt the 'loser pays' model out of fear of deterring people from filing for damages, people frequently settle because it costs less in the long run to do so.

Last edited:

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
get credit for an AA accession

I have seen it be a factor as to who gets an EP or an MP

I believe I would take the opportunity to put a check mark in the "wish to make a statement" box on that FITREP....

Call me naive, but it seems that we might want to reward (in this case with a better FITREP) those who sign up the highest number of MOST QUALIFIED... But again, what I do I know - I'm just a white dude, AKA part of the apparent problem.

Renegade One

None
Call me naive, but it seems that we might want to reward (in this case with a better FITREP) those who sign up the highest number of MOST QUALIFIED... But again, what I do I know - I'm just a white dude, AKA part of the apparent problem.
You're naive. I've said it before and I'll say it again: In today's "New Action Navy" (and probably everywhere else…), "diversity has a quality all of its own." We can't quantify it, except that it is what it is.

No amount of scholastic effort, prior work experience, exemplary performance [in whatever], higher levels of education, etc., can ever change demographics. You will forever be what you always were.

"Learn it…know it…live it." ~Brad Hamilton

Renegade One

None
Accepted, and articulated so well by one who is not left to deal with it.
YGBSM!

"I and mine" trained, mentored and left "you and yours" to deal with it as best you can. I hope and trust we chose wisely? We had our own windmills…you have yours. Choose wisely...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
YGBSM!

"I and mine" trained, mentored and left "you and yours" to deal with it as best you can. I hope and trust we chose wisely? We had our own windmills…you have yours. Choose wisely...

What in the world does this actually mean? I ask as someone who has dealt with a "diversity refugee" for an entire deployment. The buck got passed from one wicket to the next. A few of us did choose wisely and that individual isn't flying (for the Navy, anyway...watch out civilian skies) anymore.

R1, I'm not trying to be obtuse, I really don't know what you're trying to say, and completely understand LSO's frustration with having to live with the problem.

Renegade One

None
What in the world does this actually mean? ...R1, I'm not trying to be obtuse, I really don't know what you're trying to say, and completely understand LSO's frustration with having to live with the problem.
What this "actually means" is that there is really nothing new under the sun.

I can't…and wouldn't try…to speak for anyone other than myself. But I believe I'm on fairly firm ice to opine that every generation in Naval Aviation has had to live with it's own myriad "leadership challenges". In every generation, I think that's why they always called it "leadership": as in "lead, follow, or get out of the way".

"Aviation will never affect the power of the Navy's battle line other than as a scouting force." Until it did…

"The Pacific Fleet is perfectly safe in Pearl Harbor." Until it wasn't…

"The Navy and Marine Corps are obsolete in the age of atomic weapons." Until they weren't…
[No shit…you can't make this up: "There's no reason for having a Navy and Marine Corps. General Bradley tells me that amphibious operations are a thing of the past. We'll never have any more amphibious operations. That does away with the Marine Corps. And the Air Force can do anything the Navy can do nowadays, so that does away with the Navy. —Secretary of Defense Louis A. Johnson, December 1949"]

"Racial Incidents Onboard USS Kitty Hawk (CVA-63) and USS Constellation (CVA-64) in 1972." My own first "wake up call"…but I wasn't actually there.

"UPWARD Seminars"…in response to above. Fine…educational. Wonderful to have a couple of VA-95 enlisted personnel lecture the VF-111 Ready Room on the whole "DAPs are a sign of respect…YOU need to UNDERSTAND that!" Okay…got it. Thanks for your service.

Again…every generation had its own windmills…you have yours. I'm sure you all will do fine. Choose wisely the windmills you choose to tilt…

Go NAVY…Beat Army!

robav8r

None
Contributor
Last night, I heard several songs playing in the Oasis in Jebel that had lyrics (if you could call them that) whose every other word seemed to be Ni*^$# or Fuc#$&# Ni$%&^. Lots of Sailors & Marines (of all ethnicities) dancing and yelling and acting as if nothing was awry. I have had a whle lot of Diversity Training lately, nothing in the material covered this scenario. In this case, "Diversity" seems to mean let the diverse do what they want to.