• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diversity... what you need to know

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
All,

I've been getting some good questions and discussions about diversity and submitting an application.

"Will NRC accept an applicant who is more diverse than me, even though I am more competitive than him/her? Should I change race on my application to a diverse one just so I can selected?"

For the record, get rid of this mentality immediately. If NRC has to pick between you and another applicant who is diverse, BUT you're more competitive, you're going to get selected.

Navy recruiting is simply looking for more diversity in the applicant selection pool, which ideally means a more diverse workforce. Regardless of race or gender, don't sweat about being selected because of your background. It's the stats (GPA, major, ASTB, etc etc.) that what counts the most, not your background.

I hope this makes sense to everyone out there.

Renegade One

None
"Will NRC accept an applicant who is more diverse than me, even though I am more competitive than him/her? Should I change race on my application to a diverse one just so I can selected?"
Just curious…how does one do that?

I understand that there are no "do overs", but had I identified myself earlier in life as "Norman-Irish/English-French Canadian (Catholic)"…would I now be CNO?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So, to fan flames, change variable to "Will big Navy pick a candidate who meets a diversity slot over me, who doesn't, all other things being equal?" And if so, what kind of verification of said diversity status does USN use? Can I list "Black" and say I identify as black so I put it? Or is there a 1 drop rule in effect?
Pickle

FormerRecruitingGuru

So, to fan flames, change variable to "Will big Navy pick a candidate who meets a diversity slot over me, who doesn't, all other things being equal?" And if so, what kind of verification of said diversity status does USN use? Can I list "Black" and say I identify as black so I put it? Or is there a 1 drop rule in effect?
Pickle

That's a better way of explaining it Pickle, thanks for the help.

To answer your second question, there isn't any. If you feel closely affiliated to AA, API, Hispanic, or others, go ahead and list it.

Renegade One

None
Pickle
Not sure you can really get away with racial identities that aren't "substantiable"…even a diverse sounding family name has worked well in the past…but I think you have to have something.

But…I wonder if there isn't a whole new "unexplored territory" in terms of self-identifed GLBT groups? Would two otherwise equally qualified applicants be differentiated if one were to self-ID as "post-operative transgender"?

Don't be a hater here...

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
But…I wonder if there isn't a whole new "unexplored territory" in terms of self-identifed GLBT groups? Would two otherwise equally qualified applicants be differentiated if one were to self-ID as "post-operative transgender"?

Don't be a hater here...

Not being a hater, but I was under the impression that transgender individuals were still considered PDQ from military service. Can someone with a more medical background confirm or deny?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Not sure you can really get away with racial identities that aren't "substantiable"…even a diverse sounding family name has worked well in the past…but I think you have to have something.

Don't be a hater here...

I believe there was guidance on all of this. Let me find it and I'll get back to you.

exNavyOffRec

I believe there was guidance on all of this. Let me find it and I'll get back to you.

When they were talking about Bradley Manning the info that came out was that the military doesn't recognize those that are trying to go from one to the other.

exNavyOffRec

All,

I've been getting some good questions and discussions about diversity and submitting an application.

For the record, get rid of this mentality immediately. If NRC has to pick between you and another applicant who is diverse, BUT you're more competitive, you're going to get selected.

Navy recruiting is simply looking for more diversity in the applicant selection pool, which ideally means a more diverse workforce. Regardless of race or gender, don't sweat about being selected because of your background. It's the stats (GPA, major, ASTB, etc etc.) that what counts the most, not your background.

I hope this makes sense to everyone out there.

To add to this not once when the selection results would come out did we look at those from my NRD and go "oh yeah, he/she was picked because he was diverse, you could look at the professional stats and see why he or she was picked.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Don't be a hater here...

Interesting question, but not sure if the military or society is geared up to progress far into the T realm, even though the advocacy groups are crying for it and make it seem like it should be an easy step. IMO, The military still has lingering issues from integrating women after all that they're still working on making a non-issue. It'll probably take an additional 20-30 years for something like that to become a reality if we use other western armed forces where transgendered service is allowed.

Talking to some of the flight students that are "out", it seems that the general consensus was to leave their orientation out of their application and letting their records speak for themselves without trying to become a litmus test for the selection boards so they wouldn't have to ever wonder if they were accepted or rejected on the grounds of their orientation.

Renegade One

None
Not being a hater, but I was under the impression that transgender individuals were still considered PDQ from military service. Can someone with a more medical background confirm or deny?
Interesting question, but not sure if the military or society is geared up to progress far into the T realm, even though the advocacy groups are crying for it and make it seem like it should be an easy step.
Everyone…please stop and stop now. I regret being flippant about a subject that is obviously "way more serious" than I knew.

No more research…no homework…no more replies needed. Sheesh…

Sincerely, Renegade One, (who at least one on-line genealogy site which (for a rather large fee) has correctly identified as the long-lost Marquis de la Cadena of Nueva Espana/Mexico, true blood-line heir apparent to the Kingdom of Castile and León.)

Crud…I could have done something with that had I know earlier...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can you be an African American that emigrated here from Cuba? Just wondering.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pickle

One of my flight docs was officially 'Hispanic' because one of his great-grandparents was, I believe he mentioned him being 1/8th 'minority' was the min to be considered that. Not sure if it was for getting into USUHS or something standard across the board.