• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different platforms/different lifestyles?

Fetter

I was told that some pilots choose props because they get to "travel more," and that the lifestyle is more relaxed. Also, that jet pilots are constantly and rigorously training at relatively one location.

I'm not going to put much into that, but I was wondering...

If one were to have top choice over any platform, what would cause someone to pick something other than jets based on the community that platform entails? I know some people pick helos because they like them or jets because they are thrilling, what else goes into the equation?

Thanks.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
For me (helos), i liked the idea of having a crew. I didn't want to be single seat at all. I would have liked to fly fast/blow stuff up/cat shots, etc like the jet dudes but i always found SAR interesting, landing anywhere, being down low (i hated the 02 mask) and the other helo roles. It seemed like a little more variety in flights from day to day. I still get simulated hellfire shots and torpedo drops (...at least it sounds cool) and learn other tactical stuff i'll probably never use.

Also, each platform has different time to train. Starting advanced training to wings in helos it can be around 6 months. For jets you can look at a a year+. In the long term that isn't much time, but flight school gets old, it's nice to have some wings on your chest and fly a gray aircraft even if you are still a student.

Remember location as well. Different platforms go to different places. It wasn't a big factor to me, i was more concerned with platform and mission, but that might be a factor to others.

Also i don't have to deal with NFO's :D (I keed, i keed!)

The choice is simple though. You'll fly what they give you.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
In all seriousness, I feel exactly the opposite of Dodge. Just take the exact inverse of his post, and that's why I'm where I'm at, no offense at all to him intended. Except for the "no NFOs part", or course.

Different strokes for different folks.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I wanted jets because I'm picky and like being by myself in the cockpit, and flying upside down. Helos are cool though because now I have someone to talk to and we can land anywhere we want.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.... we can land anywhere we want.

Yep, that's a plus all right.

helo_crash.jpg

cornfed

moto
When picking a platform, it all came down to mission for me. Do you want to fly grunts to the zone? Do you want to fly cargo? Do you want to be in the aircraft by yourself? Do you want to be really high, or really low? Do you want to pull the trigger? Time to train didn't play a big part in my decision, but you should consider the lifestyle for the community you are looking at.