• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dental Question

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Well from what I can tell and have heard from just a general military consensus is that they'd rather just have them out instead of risking the possibility of them becoming a problem later. Other than that no word.

That's what the dentist was telling me essentially is that they'd rather just take them out then risk them becoming a problem for me even if the chance of that was not even measurable.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well from what I can tell and have heard from just a general military consensus is that they'd rather just have them out instead of risking the possibility of them becoming a problem later. Other than that no word.

That's what the dentist was telling me essentially is that they'd rather just take them out then risk them becoming a problem for me even if the chance of that was not even measurable.

Well, shit. With that logic, let's just take out our appendix too!

AJB37

When I went in to dental at Miramar as part of my flight physical, I asked the dentist about this because I have all four of my wisdom teeth still in. He said that they didn't care if I had them in or out as long as there were no problems.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Do it yourself....

castaway-5tooth.jpg

Many years ago I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth yanked at 29 Palms by a young Navy dentist. I was a Sgt of Marines.

He did all 4 in one visit. It is an interesting experience when done under local. I still remember the popping noises made when he broke the teeth to "aid in extraction". I got cramps in my toes from cringing and my neck was sore the next day from holding back my head while he pulled on the teeth.

I am certain the dentist had more fun than I did.

Good luck Navy.

joemcspeed

Chipped teeth?

Hey Folks, Hope you dont mind me asking a question in this thread. I am a recent OCS graduate and will be going to NAMI sept. 7th. I was doing some mma and chipped about a quarter off my front tooth. How much of an issue should this be? Like everyone else, Id hate to have gotten yanked from the pipeline before I even started.---thanks in advance

In regards to wisdom teeth. They never once bothered me, but I had 2 pulled in boot camp and 2 pulled on ship underway. Also dont count on them pulling teeth in OCS you might just get sent home. Bravo this summer had one.

invictus

Just curious -were you wearing a mouthpiece when the tooth got chipped? I used to do quite a bit of sparring, and always wore a mouthpiece.
A chipped tooth should not disqualify you in any way. It is probably a good idea to get it capped at your earliest covenience, or at least have the sharp edges blended and smoothed.
If cost is an issue for dental work, I highly recommend a trip to one of those northern Mexico border towns near Yuma, Arizona. They have loads of good dentists with modern equipment, and the work is inexpensive.
Thousands of retirees/snowbirds go to these places and get dental work done.
A town that comes to mind is Algodones, a few miles south of Interstate 8, west of Yuma. It's full of very affordable dentists, and opticians, too.
If the chip is not that big an issue, you can wait, and let the Navy dentists take care of it.
Good Luck!

joemcspeed

Thanks for the info. Funny enough I had chipped it once before and was lucky to be residing in Pattaya Thailand and got the fix with all the bells and whistles for 2000baht or like 50 bucks.

PS: Just to let everyone know I was getting screwed on the flight physical date and they bumped me two months. So I did some calling around and found that you can get them done in Miramar, Corpus, and the great lakes. I fly to Chicago Sept 10th

nugget61

pilot
Gonna revive this thread again.
I figure that odds are good that they will want to yank my wisdom teeth at sometime (either at OCS or sometime shortly thereafter) so I figure I might as well have them taken out now so I can recover on my own time.
I can't find it in the waiver guide - do I have to do anything special/paperwork/waiver anything before I have the surgery and/or after the surgery or do they just want to see post-op healthy mouth/xrays from my flight physical?
Also, will getting them removed delay my OCS date any (such as my PRK pushed me back 6 months)?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Lazers, aren't you BDCP?

If so, you do have dental insurance, ask your recruiter and he'll point you in the right direction. I've already had a cleaning on the gubmint's dime.

He did all 4 in one visit. It is an interesting experience when done under local. I still remember the popping noises made when he broke the teeth to "aid in extraction". I got cramps in my toes from cringing and my neck was sore the next day from holding back my head while he pulled on the teeth.

Aww, just cramps in the little piggies and a sore neck?

I got my wisdom teeth pulled one by one over the course of a month, because, as the dentist warned me, each and every single socket became infected immediately after each tooth was pulled because of the way they were impacted.

Didn't eat solid food for almost a month. Ask me more about my dental work sometime, it's AWESOME!

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Yea I am but read how old this thread is Tom. It's before I swore in.

Nugget, I think you should wait to see if they tell you and let them do it for you for free. Especially if it's going to cost you something.

nugget61

pilot
Nugget, I think you should wait to see if they tell you and let them do it for you for free. Especially if it's going to cost you something.

Thats kinda why I want to jump on it - I'll still be on the folks insurance for 4 months and it'll cover it. I know that for years my Orthodontist wanted them removed but because they never bothered me I didn't have it done.
But if the Navy thinks they want them out, I can get it done for free and recover on my own time now, I think I'll jump on it.

Q - Any paperwork have to be done for removing of wisdom teeth or do I just have to be healthy post op? Any post-op waiting time for paperwork/attending OCS?

wsophie

Banned
Dental Care

Dental question through dental tips can be solved through onlie guides and free services available online.

chasejj

SWO? What is this "SWO" you speak of?
Since this is a (kind of) dental thread, I guess I'll start here instead of starting a new thread. I have been accepted into OCS, going in Oct. 18, and am just waiting on the physical final select letter to swear in. I have a cavity I want taken care of before I go in and since I have no insurance what so ever and I was wondering when I can get that kicked in. After you swear in? After you get to OCS? Thanks!