• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dental Question

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
So I went down to Pensacola NAS today and got my physical done and the gracious dentist told me that I wasn't qualified until I got my wisdom teeth out and then he added this (paraphrased) "well I'm not really sure they'd ever be a problem but it could be so you're gonna need to get those removed."

Well, the issue for me is that I'm not covered under any type of insurance and to have them removed would probably cost about a 1000 bucks of which I can't just use up. So if anyone has any advice on what I should do whether that be trying to get a second opinion from another dentist or just taking the hit and getting them out. It's not a big deal to have them out, it's just that I can't really afford it. Otherwise though it was a great day. Passed everything else with flying colors.

LivinMyDream

pilot
Plenty of SNA's in the A-Pool had their wisdom teeth yanked out while waiting to class up. Unless the rules have changed, your wisdom teeth shouldn't be a problem for you come selection time. Just expect a little harsh dental work prior to API. :D

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I have mine in still and my dentist said they came in just fine, so as long as I brush back there I shouldn't have any problems. They're just more teeth. I hate this culture of dentistry that says we can't have teeth that we naturally grow in.

Is this the same as you, Lazers? Are you saying that they force you to have them removed? And what physical was this... MEPS?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I can do that? I mean my recruiter is telling me that she doesn't think I can submit until they're out. Sigh. Confusing.

Picaroon: He said I would only be dentally qualified when I had my 3rd molars removed. I mean he didn't give much in the way of specifics. Not MEPS. I didn't have to goto MEPS because I went to PNAS instead to do my medical stuff. It really seems trivial since they've been there for years and haven't caused me any trouble at all yet. I've also never had a cavity in my life. I don't know. I'm not sure what I actually can do about it. Seems like I won't be able to get to the board with them in.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You could always try and find a study for medication. I got mine out a few years back and got paid 600 bucks.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Picaroon: He said I would only be dentally qualified when I had my 3rd molars removed. I mean he didn't give much in the way of specifics. Not MEPS. I didn't have to goto MEPS because I went to PNAS instead to do my medical stuff. It really seems trivial since they've been there for years and haven't caused me any trouble at all yet. I've also never had a cavity in my life. I don't know. I'm not sure what I actually can do about it. Seems like I won't be able to get to the board with them in.

That sucks dude. At MEPS they didn't even check... I'm going to be really fvcking pissed if they want to take my wisdom teeth. I've always had good teeth and never had an issue.

I'll sign away pretty much anything they want me to, but I'll be damned if they're going to touch my teeth without a fight.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I suppose I'll have to shoot an email to my recruiter to see what we can do. If I can delay getting them out that would be great.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do it yourself....

castaway-5tooth.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I suppose I'll have to shoot an email to my recruiter to see what we can do. If I can delay getting them out that would be great.

I know you're stuck dealing w/ your recruiter, but...

Did you go to the Clinic at NASP or NAMI? If it's the Clinic, it's not the doc's job to determine if you're qualified. Either they need to come out, or there's not a problem. By the same token, you can submit an app with a 1.86 GPA. You probably aren't going to get picked up (and wind up some mod on a website after wasting 4 years of your life at some school on a river...zing!), but technically, no one really can stop you from applying.

At least that's my take. Maybe Wink has some more relevant info.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I went to Branch Dental and Medical right across from the gym and that starbucks. They had some other guys (students and pilots) getting flight physicals and such.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
At my flight physical in Pensacola, I got cleared for the physical but he told me mine would probably end up coming out. I guess I'll be expecting to get those out before API then