• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dental Question

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
DO NOT LET THEM TAKE OUT YOUR TEETH! I had simple filling done and ended up having to get a root canal because the nerve was damaged during the filling.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Bah but I'm going to have to figure out to explain all this to my recruiter. This process is confusing to me. Can anyone suggest anywhere I should go at PNAS to talk to someone about it?

Should I go back to Branch Dental and see if the dentist can add a stipulation that it is before OCS or something like that?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well what should I tell my recruiter since they're the one who controls whether my package gets submitted?

What does your paperwork say? If it says you're "NPQ," you need to go back to Dental. They don't make that determination. If it doesn't say one way or the other, request the recruiter submit the paperwork and try and explain that it's not a DQ'ing condition in and of itself. I haven't clicked on the Waiver guide, but look at that first and if it backs up your claims, bring it to the recruiter.

Or find a way to get your teeth pulled.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
It says "Dentally qualified when 3rd molars are removed" It's along those lines. I think the dentist didn't really understand what I was there for.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It says "Dentally qualified when 3rd molars are removed" It's along those lines. I think the dentist didn't really understand what I was there for.

I would agree. I'd dig around in the Waiver guide and see what it says and go from there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yea I looked at the waiver guide and I'm not even sure where to look in it. There isn't a "dental" section on there.

http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/waiverguidetopics.cfm

I also looked under Misc and didn't find anything pertaining to dental.

I don't know what to tell you. Maybe Feddoc can chime in. Perusing the website, I don't see any dental standard. I'm thinking he may have designated you a Class 3 or 4 dental reject, but that has nothing to do with being aeromedically adapted. That's just a guess. I've been a Class 2 my whole Navy career ("You're okay this time, but we'll probably have to give you a filling next time...") but it's had no bearing on my up chit. But again, I'm not a doc.

The best bet is to go back for a second opinion.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Yea I saw that but I think he interpreted me to be a Class I which I am not because I am not an SNA or NA. I'm just an applicant. I think that's where the mix up might be. I'll print it out and see what I can do.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We may be getting our Classes confused. By Class 3 or 4, I'm referring to the Dental people classifying if someone needs work. This comes into play when deploying, mostly. It has nothing to do with the aviation community. Miss an annual checkup, and you go from Class 1 (or 2) to a Class 3. Get a cavity, and you become a class 4 (or something like that).

Again, it has nothing to do with the NAMI Class system for the different groups of people who are on various flight statusesses.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh...where can I read more about the classes you're describing?

I have no idea, and the only reason I know about it is because of having to chase down all my guys who hadn't been to the dentist in a year.

To be honest, I wouldn't even bring it up to the dentist. I'm not sure how I'd play it until I was there, but I'd go back to get some extra info on what was put on your original form. I'm not really sure what kind of physical you guys get for an OCS assecesion since it's my understanding it's in addition to a DODMERB. But if the point of the physical to say you can be an officer, then the wisdom teeth, by themselves, wouldn't be an issue, they'd just need to get removed at some point. If the point of the physical was to see if you're aeromedically adapted, I'd ask to see where it says you're NPQ because of the teeth.

nugget61

pilot
Do we have an update to this old thread? I still have my wisdom teeth and don't want to give 'em up unless I have to (I've yet to apply).

TopShot

BDCP SNA
What are all you guys doing with your wisdom teeth still in? Mine were ripped out when I entered 6th grade! Of course my dentist said I had a very "mature" mouth. :D