• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dear Boss, I quit! A letter to Air Force leadership....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Random threadjack, but does the Navy have any O-4 or lower commands?

A couple good ship examples are the minesweepers (normally O-4) and the PCCs (O-3). Good examples of ashore commands are the NOSCs (reserve centers), which are billeted as O-3 through O-6, mostly depending on the size (sometimes with +/- 1 paygrade flexibility, sometimes not)... off the top of my head, I can't think of any others.

As far as aviation, I don't think we've and any O-4 or below command for decades now.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The F-22 demo I saw today beat the hell out of the Plopter demo......so they have airshows going for them.

Last airshow I was at, the raptor was grounded and the MAGTF demo was pretty legit.....plopters included. I certainly didn't admit that to my buddy who was flying one of them though :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Ok, this is wierd that I am the one taking the air force side, but I will run with it.

I didn't connect all of those dots, my bad: E-6's fly because of the umbrella of air superiority provided in the USA by the air force. Here's an analogy: how would Europe's foreign policy be different if the USA didn't exist and act as global police man? I don't know exactly, but it would be very different.

E-6's fly in the USA under the blanket of air superiority provided by the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as aviation, I don't think we've and any O-4 or below command for decades now.

I recall that back in th early '70s, the Navy experiment with detailing O-4s direct to selected A-4 fleet Squadrons as CO. Don't know if other fleet communities (F-4s, etc.?), were involved. The young Skippers did OK, however, two major problems arose that affected morale & the experiment faded away.

1. Every time a screened O-4 got a command, one equally qualified & screened O-5 lost his chance for a fleet command.

2. Some of these (dubbed) "Kiddie Skippers", had the enviable experience of getting a 2nd CO tour after they made O-5! Needless to say, this did not do much for morale.

In my opinion, if they had deemed a few top O-4s as 'command ready', they should have been deep selected for O-5, promoted (or frocked), then screened and assigned.:confused:
BzB

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Afloat? I'm about 100% certain I saw an O-3 CO, command pin and all, not very long ago. She had a media write up about it, I'm going to try and dig it up.....

O-4s? Absolutely.

I'm guessing what you saw was not necessarily the "first" JO CO, but the first JO female CO. I can't remember if it was on the Mod side or on the "low" side, but if it's who I'm thinking, she was actually a year ahead of me at UF. I can't remember which command it was, but I don't think it was a PCC.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm guessing what you saw was not necessarily the "first" JO CO, but the first JO female CO. I can't remember if it was on the Mod side or on the "low" side, but if it's who I'm thinking, she was actually a year ahead of me at UF. I can't remember which command it was, but I don't think it was a PCC.

Yeah I think we may be talking about the same one. Was she black?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PC class boats are a LT/LCDR command

Usually a senior LT who puts on O-4 during the command tour, or at least that was the case last time I worked with them (~2001). I think in general the PC is being regarded as a concept that didn't pan out - too big and slow for the SEALs, not suitable for blue-water SWO stuff. So the Navy being the Navy, everything associated with PCs will be regarded as tainted, and that'll probably be the last of sub-O-5 command at sea for a while. Maybe with the exception of the Sweeps. The LCSs have O-5 skippers.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. Think you could pull a wakeboard behind it though?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Was thinking along the same lines... Wakeboards, kegs, a grill or three... Oh yeah, and all the guns. Don't forget the guns. I can't imagine those selected to command a PC are the same guys/gals who lead the JOPA charge wherever they go.

jmcquate

Contributor
Was thinking along the same lines... Wakeboards, kegs, a grill or three... Oh yeah, and all the guns. Don't forget the guns. I can't imagine those selected to command a PC are the same guys/gals who lead the JOPA charge wherever they go.

BigRed389

None

Yeah, they get selected as LT's, but by the time they actually transfer from the DH ride and hit the PC, they're almost always LCDRs.

Not to mention, in SWO-land, LT's pretty much are out of JOPA when they start their first DH tour.

Coasties do something closer to a "Super JO" command tour with their WPBs, though they're still pretty senior LTs. Those cutters are pretty damn bad ass, even if they're painted in ridiculous colors.