• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dealing with suspected Depression at USNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Tell him to go to MIDN Development Center, which is in 8th Wing. He'll know, at the very least, what 8th Wing is. They have confidential counselors from what I understand.

I'll throw in a plug for the counselors in the midshipmen development center (MDC). Great bunch of people who are willing to do anything they can to help, and its all kept confidential too, even his chain of command won't be informed about his visits (unless he's a suicide risk)

MIDN Development Center is the place I was thinking about. It used to be located in the basement of Luce Hall. If they follow the same rules as they used to, they follow slightly stricter rules than the regular Navy when it came to confidentiality.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pills vs counselling

Go to counselling first. Not to go into a Tom Cruise-esque rant about drugs, but if he needs the drugs to get him through school - he needs to find a new school. He needs to realize it ain't going to get any easier upon graduation.

This is lost on many people who think a pill will help them deal with stress or whatever is causing them to seek a remedy. As others have mentioned, certain medication can disqualify you or certainly delay or down you from flying status, if not commissioning.

Regardless, the counselling is the critical piece that many ignore in quest for the magic cure-all pill. I've seen too many people not address their issues thinking the pill will do all the work. Just like weight control, the key is tackling the part between your ears. Granted a doctor may prescribe something, but no pill does it all and, as noted, withdrawl from many pills routinely prescribed for stress or attention deficiency disorders is not a pretty nor easy thing to deal with at all.

red_ryder

None
IMHO you wouldn't want to jump right into meds, but he might really need to talk it all out with someone. Remember, that chimp that tore that lady's face off was on Xanax too. Yeah I know xanax is a muscle relaxer. It's just not always good to numb your emotions when you're trying to work through something.

tdimarco

Pro-Rec SNA
Actually, Xanax is a psychoactive medication. It can treat anxiety or insomnia.

Mood disorders, anxiety, and PTSD often involve a distorted view of reality. The goal of medication therapy should be to allow the patient to control their reactions and electrochemical imbalances well enough to think clearly and restructure their cognitive processes. Brain chemistry affects thought processes, and thought processes produce changes in brain chemistry. Both medication and therapy can produce positive treatment outcomes. However, I believe that therapy is a better first option and allows the patient to make a more informed choice about medication therapy.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
IMHO the important thing should be getting his life in order, whether he needs the pills or not. Obviously the pills and severity of the depression could have an effect on his career at some point, but I would personally rather be alive and happy then teetering on the verge of suicide in a job I can't handle (if I were him). It's just simply not a lifestyle that everyone is cut out for.....even at such a lowly level as us ENS's. Nothing wrong with that.......make sure he knows this and seeks the proper help rather than worrying about what-if's.

MasterBates

Pills should be a LAST resort.

They change people. Sometimes irreversibly, and usually not in a good way.

And my chest is a testament to how scary people can be when they come down off of them. Very few people will see me with a shirt off. Ever. Because of someone who lost their shit when they went off the pills.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Good point, pills = bad unless absolutely needed....I was just meaning that the guy should be concerned with getting the proper level of treatment vice being worried about what it will do to his career at this early stage. If it were me, I'd rather know sooner rather than later whether or not the problem was going to be too much for this line of work.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's why if you go off pills you do it under the close supervision of a psychiatrist. I know I got whacked out when I went off them in high school, but I was definitely regulated when that happened. Going on antidepressants and going off them is not something to be taken lightly, and if he truly needs them in order to function then so be it, but counseling is definitely the way to go first.

And yes they are disqualifying. I lost my appointment to USNA, was on medical LOA my first semester of ROTC until I could get the waiver straightened out, and had to get a bunch of psychological testing to get a waiver to get into aviation. Again, don't take antidepressants as an easy out, but if it comes down to it his mental health and well being is more important than a career.

Huggy Bear

pilot
I read an article recently that nearly a quarter of college students go through depression at some point. I would think if any school should be understanding of this it would be the academy.

4ageminor

Huggy Bear is correct, college students also have by far the highest suicide rate. If he needs help, he needs to get it now.

The reason depression rates are so high is because the number of times a quarter or semester the student is faced with a pass or fail situation. I'm in college right now and usually i have about 20 exams per quarter-if i do poorly on just one of them it throws me into a funk for a while.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's not clinical depression, that's being upset about a crappy situation. If you are unhappy for more than 6 weeks despite what is going on, along with a myriad of other symptoms, then you are truly depressed. Everyone feels sad every now and then, but if it doesn't go away, that's when you run into problems.

MasterBates

OHMIGOD!!! 20 "PASS FAIL" evolutions per month!!!

How can you stand it!!! The stress! The HORROR!

Until you can change that to "LIVE/DIE" and be OK with it, you may not be looking into the right career.

How do you get thru college nowadays without PTSD!!?!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
How do you get thru college nowadays without PTSD!!?!

Same way you get through the LIVE/DIE decisions...DUH!

funny_beer_cans.jpg

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I took a great psych course in college, and we discussed psych drugs and how the vast majority of people who take them don't need them at all, and in some cases were less effective than a placebo. The professor who taught the course was doing research on alternative treatments for mild depression than pharmaceutical drugs. It was all really simple stuff: exercise, light box therapy, taking fish oil (omega 3 fatty acid), and traditional talk therapy to help set up self-reinforcing techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.