• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCOIC instruction vs ODS/OCS

BackOrdered

Contributor
Well this sure escalated.......

Bottomline, CTN1Sid you are entitled to your opinion. However once you commission, check aboard a few wardrooms, navigate their nuances and observe the Officers that come and go from all sources, you will see my point. While you are at it, once you commission be sure to make a few contacts in Millington who don't mind explaining to you how the DCO program functions and why sicking Gunny on them would be a mistake. A DCO JO is NOT held to the same standards as the AD JOs, likewise the AD JOs are NOT held to the same standards as a DCO. If you don't understand why, I can't help you, but your view is very myopic.

BigRed389

None
What got me arguing was Azguy's attitude that reservists (which I am not) and IDC folks (I'm intel) are not "the real Navy" or that they are somehow inferior to him, and basically coming into a thread that is largely not about URL and calling a huge segment of them booger eaters (being a troll). That is what I take issue with, and nothing else. I have zero intentions of arguing that SWOs are not warfighters or that they haven't made sacrifices for their country

That's understandable. I went from URL to RL. But I'm not embarrassed to say I am now one of the POG'iest REMF'ers in the Navy. If you're support, be the proudest supportiest supporter you can be. Nobody likes the Supply guy (as an example) taking selfies with the tacticool gear telling war stories. Just shut up and give me my fucking gear and parts because I'm in a hurry today trying to get my gear up for the next mission.

What you personally do is a lot more important to than what people with the exception of yourself, your family, or the people you interact with professionally think about you.

And this isn't directed at you personally, but for anybody else, if it DOES bother you, think before you put pen to paper on your designator wish list sheet. Or go Blue to Green or whatever. Generally speaking, URL's (or joint equivalents) make the decisions, RL can only advise them based on their specialty. And sometimes, they won't listen to you. If you can't make peace with that, you might want to pick something else.

PS - azguy...FYI, the RL communities wear stars on their sleeves too. If not, I need to fix that shit pretty soon...:eek:

Last edited:

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
That's understandable. I went from URL to RL. But I'm not embarrassed to say I am now one of the POG'iest REMF'ers in the Navy. If you're support, be the proudest supportiest supporter you can be. Nobody likes the Supply guy (as an example) taking selfies with the tacticool gear telling war stories. Just shut up and give me my fucking gear and parts because I'm in a hurry today trying to get my gear up for the next mission.

This is why I don't take pics of myself in a flight suit**

And this isn't directed at you personally, but for anybody else, if it DOES bother you, think before you put pen to paper on your designator wish list sheet. Or go Blue to Green or whatever. Generally speaking, URL's (or joint equivalents) make the decisions, RL can only advise them based on their specialty. And sometimes, they won't listen to you. If you can't make peace with that, you might want to pick something else.

I agree here. I went pilot and ended up intel (NAMI whammy) because I do really think this is interesting and I wasn't too excited about what I had heard about SWO life. I have met some people in my community, and after hearing about their interests or goals I want to ask "why are you in this job?" or "why are you in this branch?" - if you want to be a door kicker go do that stuff. I remember in one of the OCS outbriefs people complaining about the lack of shooting, crawling in the mud, etc etc and the Chief DI telling them they joined the wrong branch! (Having said this, my sister's AFROTC summer training was closer to what Marines do than anything I've done in the Navy)

**but if I get a backseat ride you bet your ass I'm taking pics!

azguy

None
What got me arguing was Azguy's attitude that reservists (which I am not) and IDC folks (I'm intel) are not "the real Navy" or that they are somehow inferior to him, and basically coming into a thread that is largely not about URL and calling a huge segment of them booger eaters (being a troll).

Again, I'm sorry for the butt hurt that I've caused you. Read my previous post. You ARE real Navy and you are so important to us.

RaginCajun

I went to DCOIC last month. It was enjoyable. Am I some super secret awesome supply corps officer? No. But bqc -nr (reserve) is now held to the same standards as active school so meh. Call me not "real navy" all you want. I take pride in the uniform I wear and the country I serve.

60dude

Hey guys, I'm a newly selected Navy ENS coming from the Army ( Prior Chief Warrant Officer 2) Pilot and I'm wondering if I need to go to ODS or OIS if I've already completed the Warrant Officer course. I assume no. I have a lot of unit resources but I figure I'd try here first.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
If your reserve DCO, I would assume you would still need to go to DCO indoc course. I mean, you will need to learn to say "Attention on deck" and Aye Aye.

ODS is for active duty staff officers, Im not sure what OIS is?

RaginCajun

If your reserve DCO, I would assume you would still need to go to DCO indoc course. I mean, you will need to learn to say "Attention on deck" and Aye Aye.

I would assume this as well.

My former XO was a commissioned Army reserve officer and he was still supposed to go to DCOIC. My DCOIC class had a former Air Force officer in it.

60dude

I would assume this as well.

My former XO was a commissioned Army reserve officer and he was still supposed to go to DCOIC. My DCOIC class had a former Air Force officer in it.

Great responses!

I'll look into it. DCOIC here I come

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

OIS is the old name for ODS. Instead of "Indoctrination" its "Development".