• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Supply Chances and Selections

number9

Contributor
I'm just about to start this process and will reach out to an officer recruiter this week or next. Is there anything I should be doing now to increase my chances?
  • Age 39
  • No prior service
  • Formal Education
    • BA Economics, summa cum laude, 3.4 GPA
    • MBA from a T10 school, 3.2 GPA
    • Assistant Coach of a Div III college sport, 3x NCAA national championships
  • Currently employed as a Senior Manager in a robotic warehousing/logistics company
    • Many years experience as a Systems Engineer at a variety of tech companies
  • Dual citizen of a Five Eyes country
My pre-MBA career was in a variety of tech roles so I'm strongly considering IP & CW alongside Supply.

Last edited:

eahmed4

I'm just about to start this process and will reach out to an officer recruiter this week or next. Is there anything I should be doing now to increase my chances?
  • Age 39
  • No prior service
  • Formal Education
  • Currently employed as a Senior Manager in a robotic warehousing/logistics company
My pre-MBA career was in a variety of tech roles so I'm strongly considering IP & CW alongside Supply.
The age might be very difficult to overcome. Waivers are available but it will be a steep climb

pselde

• Age 39
  • No prior service
  • Formal Education
Age is not an issue. I was just selected in Sept and am 39 (also non-prior). Just make sure you stay competitive (as it seams you are) and have excellent interviews ( if you can find 0-6 SUPPO reserves). Small bit of advise, work on attaining DAWIA certs. They are not required but are very helpful. It took me multiple cycles to be selected so don’t get discouraged. You need to stay committed as some folks took them more than 3.

Reactions: RJS

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Age is not an issue. I was just selected in Sept and am 39 (also non-prior). Just make sure you stay competitive (as it seams you are) and have excellent interviews ( if you can find 0-6 SUPPO reserves). Small bit of advise, work on attaining DAWIA certs. They are not required but are very helpful. It took me multiple cycles to be selected so don’t get discouraged. You need to stay committed as some folks took them more than 3.

DAWIA would be hard/impossible for anyone who doesn't work in Gov contracting/acquisition. Even for reservists who are in a contracting unit, it is very hard to meet requirements for DAWIA level I-III.

Pselde was correct in recommending your interviews be with a Reserve O6 Suppo. O5s are OK, but you want the O6s. Also, quantify as much as you can on your resume, dollars managed, people supervised, etc. If you jump through all the hoops and aren't selected and you really want it, go for it again. Most recruiter will require you show some "change" when reapplying though

number9

Contributor
If you don't mind me asking, what is your background? A friend of a friend is a DCO SUPPO with no prior experience (he's a great guy; it's not a dig on him) but my OR didn't like my chances at all.

pselde

If you don't mind me asking, what is your background? A friend of a friend is a DCO SUPPO with no prior experience (he's a great guy; it's not a dig on him) but my OR didn't like my chances at all.
I am/was a CO with DAWIA level 3 certs in contracting and level 1 in PM. I had experience with major programs and back ground in marketing. I also had 2 0-6 interviews with 2 SUPPO Reservists. I have my MBA and currently work in the DoD. My OR didn’t give me much of a chance on my subsequent packages because, as ABMD mentioned, I didn’t really change/grow much on my package. I put A LOT of emphasis on my DAWIA certs and use of them to make up for the lack of change. # and $ will be your emphasis it looks like. Reach out to your SUPPO and see what he can help with. Utilize your resources to make your resume standout.

Reactions: RJS

number9

Contributor
I am/was a CO with DAWIA level 3 certs in contracting and level 1 in PM. I had experience with major programs and back ground in marketing. I also had 2 0-6 interviews with 2 SUPPO Reservists. I have my MBA and currently work in the DoD. My OR didn’t give me much of a chance on my subsequent packages because, as ABMD mentioned, I didn’t really change/grow much on my package. I put A LOT of emphasis on my DAWIA certs and use of them to make up for the lack of change. # and $ will be your emphasis it looks like. Reach out to your SUPPO and see what he can help with. Utilize your resources to make your resume standout.
Thank you for the reply - much appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

Every once in a while you find a DCO Supply with no experience, I saw one commissioned at my NRD and we were all surprised, he was 22, just out of college, and no real experience. What he did have was his OR was a family friend and there were several family friends that were reserve supply as well.

Then once that OIC that did his interview transferred the next CO pretty much killed any applicants chances that didn't have at least 5 years of relevant experience.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Every once in a while you find a DCO Supply with no experience, I saw one commissioned at my NRD and we were all surprised, he was 22, just out of college, and no real experience. What he did have was his OR was a family friend and there were several family friends that were reserve supply as well.

Then once that OIC that did his interview transferred the next CO pretty much killed any applicants chances that didn't have at least 5 years of relevant experience.
Well, that’s on the national board in Millington, not the NRD, OIC, or OR. If Millington felt he was one of their top applicants and worthy of a billet, then they punch that button on the button-ator 3000.

Also, these sorts of criteria can be established in the PA and/or the precept to the board members.

exNavyOffRec

Well, that’s on the national board in Millington, not the NRD, OIC, or OR. If Millington felt he was one of their top applicants and worthy of a billet, then they punch that button on the button-ator 3000.

Also, these sorts of criteria can be established in the PA and/or the precept to the board members.
His contacts had some pull, he didn't ask from my understanding but it was known at the board level who his family friends were.