• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO/IWC Qualifications with STEM Background

exNavyOffRec

breeze through DCO (now ODS)

There are plenty of famous political names. George P Bush. Pete Buttigieg. Reince Priebus. Sean Spicer. Hunter Biden. Jimmy Panetta. There are others I’m sure. (If we’re keeping count: they are 2 PAOs, 1 HR, 3 Intel, 3 Democrats, 3 Republicans).

A few points DCO is a program not a school, ODS is a school, a person commissioned off the street into the reserves is a DCO and for school they will go to ODS.

This other point is before your time and may explain some of the people getting commissioned you mentioned, there is before 2010 and after 2010 now I am not sure what flipped the switch about that time but something did, up to 2010 (about) you would see people commissioned DCO Supply that were right out of college with no work experience, you would see Intel officer getting commissioned right out of college with no work experience and a few I met when I started recruiting spoke no foreign language (of course officers don't really use it) and had degrees like English, History, or Elementary Education. I wonder if they realized commissioning people with zero experience as a DCO was a burden on the reserve program? I ran into a few guys that drilled with one of said LT's and the comment was after 4 years the LT was starting to figure out what the job was about.

nodropinufaka

There is a perception (not entirely wrong) that - if you have the right connections - you can just waltz in the door to whatever “cool” military job sounds good on a resume, get a commission, breeze through DCO (now ODS), and moonlight for one weekend a month. That’s a false perception of what the Navy truly needs in its reserve officer corps, but I didn’t come up with that perception and it’s been there for years. There are plenty of famous political names. George P Bush. Pete Buttigieg. Reince Priebus. Sean Spicer. Hunter Biden. Jimmy Panetta. There are others I’m sure. (If we’re keeping count: they are 2 PAOs, 1 HR, 3 Intel, 3 Democrats, 3 Republicans). Maybe “foreign language” is just a way of weeding out the Beltway bandits, or at least making sure some DCO Intel selects have cultural experience outside the United States.

But you can just waltz through if you are connected. Same way LCDR Eric Greitens was able to rejoin after his scandal that forced him from governor- He had Mike Pence pull him in.

Foreign Language isn't needed- at all. Neither is cultural experience. It isn't necessary for Navy Intelligence. We aren't Army Civil Affairs, we aren't FAOs, Attaches, and we definitely are not geopol experts no matter how many people will try to convince you that they are because they hold a commission as an 1835.