• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Eligibility & Process

bluemarlin04

Kinda makes me feel good that i got selected out of the same board that he was not. Even if he was well qualified, they stayed pretty true to the "tough to get selected the first time" mantra!

Relax. Some of the dumbest people I ever met were Navy Intelligence officers. Selections mean nothing. It is a total crapshoot.

bluemarlin04

I do. I have 3 Commisioned and 7 enlisted in my cell. They’re all reservists on active orders within our agency. Maritime Safety of Navigation is one of our responsibilities.

Okay. But you said Scientist and GEOINT analysts. Neither of which are responsibilities of 1835s.

WAMI

Okay. But you said Scientist and GEOINT analysts. Neither of which are responsibilities of 1835s.
My apologies, I should had been specific. What I was trying to imply was these civilian professions better cross to 1835 as apposed to lawyers. Regarding GEOINT Analysts, this is almost the only thing Navy IS and 1835 do: imagery and geospatial analysts (IA and GA). Army and Navy are agment analytical position and the AirForce fulfilled many of our acquisitions.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Gentlemen, I think we can all agree that even if a new ENS 1835 is a long-time ONI civilian with naval intelligence experience, their reserve job will be largely different than their day job. First, it will mostly be NOSC administrivia and dink lists for half of every DWE. Second, the NIFR will make sure to keep you far away from your civilian career to avoid any conflict of interest. Third, if and when you Mob, you’ll be filling a random billet completely unrelated to your civilian career or your reserve unit.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Nice article on DCO...

Although this may appear to some to be an easy route into the military, Buttigieg, who has spoken of making more than a hundred vehicle trips “outside the wire” in Afghanistan, said his active-duty comrades could have cared less. “When you’re in the vehicle, I don’t think a lot of people really care about your commissioning source,” he told Yahoo News. “It very rarely came up when I was deployed.”

https://news.yahoo.com/for-politici...track-path-to-military-service-090000179.html

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Gentlemen, I think we can all agree that even if a new ENS 1835 is a long-time ONI civilian with naval intelligence experience, their reserve job will be largely different than their day job. First, it will mostly be NOSC administrivia and dink lists for half of every DWE. Second, the NIFR will make sure to keep you far away from your civilian career to avoid any conflict of interest. Third, if and when you Mob, you’ll be filling a random billet completely unrelated to your civilian career or your reserve unit.
The sad reality of the situation is that, for the DCO process, your day job and the ability to speak 15 languages makes you competitive for selection, nothing more.

Once you get commissioned, no one gives a sh*t. Honestly. You're just another Ensign in the cog. I've seen it too many times. The people this impacts most are non-prior service DCO's.

As much as leadership hems and haws about the DCO process, the Navy, and more importantly the Navy Reserve, is not set up to take advantage of our civilian skill sets.

bluemarlin04

The sad reality of the situation is that, for the DCO process, your day job and the ability to speak 15 languages makes you competitive for selection, nothing more.

Once you get commissioned, no one gives a sh*t. Honestly. You're just another Ensign in the cog. I've seen it too many times. The people this impacts most are non-prior service DCO's.

As much as leadership hems and haws about the DCO process, the Navy, and more importantly the Navy Reserve, is not set up to take advantage of our civilian skill sets.

It always cracks me up.

"But, but, but I am a GG-13 working at (insert agency)!!...I am a SME!"

That is great buddy. You are still an ENS and an unqualified one at that. No one cares.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice article on DCO...

Although this may appear to some to be an easy route into the military, Buttigieg, who has spoken of making more than a hundred vehicle trips “outside the wire” in Afghanistan, said his active-duty comrades could have cared less. “When you’re in the vehicle, I don’t think a lot of people really care about your commissioning source,” he told Yahoo News. “It very rarely came up when I was deployed.”

https://news.yahoo.com/for-politici...track-path-to-military-service-090000179.html

Excellent overview of the literal politics involved in the Navy Reserve DCO program. What it doesn't lay out is how the Navy assumes that it benefits as well, by gaining allies and advocates throughout government. I don't quite think that is the way to go about it or that it really 'helps' the Navy in the long run but that seems to be the unspoken benefit to the Navy gains out of choosing many of those for DCO that they do.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Excellent overview of the literal politics involved in the Navy Reserve DCO program. What it doesn't lay out is how the Navy assumes that it benefits as well, by gaining allies and advocates throughout government. I don't quite think that is the way to go about it or that it really 'helps' the Navy in the long run but that seems to be the unspoken benefit to the Navy gains out of choosing many of those for DCO that they do.
The Navy doesn't benefit, per se. IMHO, the only benefit derived is keeping the program competitive with a steady stream of uber qualified applicants.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy doesn't benefit, per se. IMHO, the only benefit derived is keeping the program competitive with a steady stream of uber qualified applicants.

The political aspect is a supposed intangible benefit, one mentioned by several mid to senior folks I’ve talked to about the reserve DCO program.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't see how. I mean look at Hunter Biden. Such a good selection choice.

Yeah, you ain't wrong on that one. But a few folks have mentioned the 'political' benefit to the Navy as to why they select so many DC political types.

nodropinufaka

After joining the reserves I’ve noticed two types of officers

Prior active duty who left and want to just finish up and retire

DCOs who want to do more in the Navy. The DCOs all seem very very very different then the prior 1830s.