• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Community Gouge (Bonus: "The Long Blue Wait" in FY09)

shooter_mcgavin_7

How problematic is it for Intel to have a large number of business contacts with foreign nations (mostly Indian and Chinese)?

Anyone have any guesses based on their experiences in the clearance process?

knobbzy

How problematic is it for Intel to have a large number of business contacts with foreign nations (mostly Indian and Chinese)?

There are several ways to answer this, let me do the easy one first: the SF86. The related question is as follows --

"Have you ever had any contact with a foreign government, its establishments (embassies or consulates), or its representatives, whether inside or outside the U.S., other than on official U.S. Government business? (Does not include routine visa applications and border crossing contacts.)"

Obviously a yes is going to require some explaining.

However, having relationships and knowledge with both countries could be useful. This means being upfront and forthright with your recruiter, interview, and investigator.

The other two relevant questions on the SF86 are:

a Do you have any foreign property, business connections, or financial interests?
b Are you now or have you ever been employed by or acted as a consultant for a foreign government, firm, or agency?

You have to be careful and most important TRUTHFUL in answering these questions.

It all depends on the nature of your relationship, nonetheless you will have to disclose it. Working for a large corporation that does business in these two countries is not an automatic rejection.

-N

ladysailor

Congrats!!
Hmmmmm.... I have never heard of the list being made public, although I could be wrong. I thought that only the recruiters have access to the lists on their systems.

Thanks... although the waiting is getting to me. I'd programmed myself to wait three weeks max and we're well into week four. Ah, well. Trying to join the Navy, better get used to hurry-up-'n'-wait. Reading about boards with 48hr turnaround is not helping, though.

My internet sleuthing has dug up the occasional board decision, but it's not always clear exactly what it is. I certainly haven't seen anything about this DCO intell board.

My recruiter is amazing and incredibly on top of things. He's promised to call as soon as he hears anything. I've given him a special ring tone and am keeping my phone close. :)

If y'all hear anything, please share!

knobbzy

It could take a few weeks (or longer) to hear. Don't be discouraged, and try (as best you can) to put it out of your mind.

Welcome to the DCO mantra "the long blue wait" (tm pending).

I was accepted in Oct and should be getting FINSEL letter any day now -- this should give you an idea of the length of these things.

I need to have DCO tshirts made with the slogan "I survived the long blue wait"

-N

J

jcwarre

I need to have DCO tshirts made with the slogan "I survived the long blue wait"

-N

Knobbzy- Can I be one of the first to get the T-shirt? I can see it now..."I started my DCO process a full year ago and all I have is this %$#@! T-shirt!"

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Patience is a virtue in this process. It took me over two years from the time of my initial application to actually getting word - lots of checking the mailbox, wondering when the big manila folder from Uncle Sugar was going to arrive. The whole process has improved significantly over the years, though, and it sounds like the end-to-end process is much more efficient. As we say in this business: "Continue to stand by in a high state of readiness!" :)

knobbzy

Knobbzy- Can I be one of the first to get the T-shirt? I can see it now..."I started my DCO process a full year ago and all I have is this %$#@! T-shirt!"

When we're at dix together I think we should both get I SURVIVED NAVLNGBLUWT (and all I got was a one-way ticket to sunny NJ).

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks

In addition to the previous posting in response to your query. I would put it as simple as this: don't lie. Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Having foreign national contacts and/or business interests is not a problem as long as they are disclosed and the investigator(s) has the ability to look into the interests.

J

jcwarre

Patience is a virtue in this process. It took me over two years from the time of my initial application to actually getting word - lots of checking the mailbox, wondering when the big manila folder from Uncle Sugar was going to arrive. :)

FlyinSpy- I think most people would agree that 2 years is an unreasonably long time to idly wait by the mailbox. There is a base-case wait assumption which most agree to be 3-6 months between selection and commission. In some cases (with medical or background search issues, etc) the wait is extended to 1yr or more. In my case I've already been told that the FS is "on the way"; in the mean time it is bouncing off desks and I will do my best to accelerate that process.

shooter_mcgavin_7

Much appreciated to both of the above posters. I used to work in foreign currency derivatives (which have a smattering of Chinese & Indian workers) and am now in a PhD Financial Economics program (I am the only American). The advice both of you have given is encouraging.

knobbzy

Much appreciated to both of the above posters. I used to work in foreign currency derivatives (which have a smattering of Chinese & Indian workers) and am now in a PhD Financial Economics program (I am the only American). The advice both of you have given is encouraging.

Are you getting said doctorate in the US or abroad?

xodec20

My recruiter just told me that the February Selection Board for Intel DCOs has been rescheduled to begin on 23 March. Apparently, there weren't enough applications in February to justify a full-scale selection process. That's all I know. If you hear anything, let me know.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
My recruiter just told me that the February Selection Board for Intel DCOs has been rescheduled to begin on 23 March. Apparently, there wasn't enough applications in February to justify a full-scale selection process. That's all I know. If you hear anything, let me know.

Really?? Not enough applications? I definitely am surprised to hear that. :icon_tong For the board in October I heard there were between 200-300 applicants and only selected 20-something?

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear more...if you get any more info from your recruiter.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
This news is not outside the realm of possibility given the date of the subsequent boards (23-DEC-08 and 2-FEB-09), the length of time needed to assemble a top-notch application (2 - 3 months), as well as the military and civilian holiday stand-down.

It appears that most people targeted the OCT-08 board.

knobbzy

My recruiter just told me that the February Selection Board for Intel DCOs has been rescheduled to begin on 23 March. Apparently, there wasn't enough applications in February to justify a full-scale selection process. That's all I know. If you hear anything, let me know.

No hard figures to base this on anything, but I would guess they aren't going to hold a board before they've commissioned the last lot. Considering some of us are hitting 5 months on waiting for COMDOCS.:eek: