• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Day in the life of a Coastie pilot

sardaddy

pilot
Just for the record, as soon as I read what uscgaviator wrote I realized what gunfighter had meant and I realized I was an idiot. But it sure is fun to make a snide comment directed at your elders (very much so in this instance) every once in a while, even if I'm wrong.

As for the love hate relationship, as you know or have found out, no matter what community you get into, thick skin and a sense of humor is a prerequisite as the hits just keep on coming.

And gunfighter be careful out there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the info. Now just an "interesting to know" question. If a Marine or Navy DCA shows up to Mobile, will he still wear his gold wings prior to completing the course? I would think they're authorized, since it's an approaved CG uniform item, but I would imagine there might be some disdain since they haven't completed the course.

USCGaviator

pilot
gatordev said:
If a Marine or Navy DCA shows up to Mobile, will he still wear his gold wings prior to completing the course?
Yes they will. It is the same as a CG flight school student getting winged and then showing up in Mobile.

gatordev said:
...but I would imagine there might be some disdain since they haven't completed the course.
Actually this has never been an issue.

gunfighter77

pilot
On APTAP there was talk that the CG took all of the alternates in addition to the primary candidates. Can anyone confirm that? Do you think this will continue?

sardaddy

pilot
I do believe that is true. Whether that will continue on other boards I do not know. Alternates are often picked up, whether it is because someone on the primary list decided to drop or they just needed more folks at that time.

The next selection board may actually be proactive and select as many primary pilots as it will need and it may not pick up any alternates.You never know. I will say your chances are better than ever to get picked up in the next couple of years but I don't know how long it will last.

Good luck to all.

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
hold on baby....

I hope the trend continues another year or two :scared_12 The first board I'll be eligible for will be the April '07 since I won't be done with school 'til November/December this year. Damn Blue 21 guidelines!!!! :icon_rage

sardaddy

pilot
Blue 21 is a totally different program than the DCA program. I though you were already assured flight school in Blue 21. Are you not?

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
you're correct

Yes Blue 21 is guaranteed flight school and is completely different than DCA.
I was commenting on the fact that many/most/all boarded candidates are being scooped up right now and I hope it continues until I (hopefully) board next spring. :clover_12

Coppertop222

It sure seems like they will for the time being...

I've heard with the unusually high attrition rates down here it's just compounding the need for more pilots. Whether it's from DCA or sending more people who knows, I'd guess DCA since its cheaper for the CG but who knows...

Pretty sure though that they'll at least continue the numbers at where it is now for quite some time...

USCGaviator

pilot
Coppertop222 said:
I've heard with the unusually high attrition rates down here it's just compounding the need for more pilots.
Are you talking about attrition rates at NPA? If so, I'd agree there is an obvious impact. However, the current shortage (and/or projected shortage) probably results more from:
  1. A large number of DCA's that are retirement eligible at a point in time when the civilian job sector is hiring (current unemployment rate is 4.7% - 10 year low)
  2. Possible CG aviation mission growth. Follow this link for more details:
* http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9960618/from/RL.3/

Whether it's from DCA or sending more people who knows, I'd guess DCA since its cheaper for the CG but who knows...
It is cheaper to bring in DCAs (DoD already paid the bill to teach them to fly and give them some OJT) but more importantly it is quicker. A DCA entering the CG today can hit the fleet as a qualified CP in 6 weeks. Our ability to increase the pipeline in Pensacola is limited due to the number of annual slots allotted by the Navy.

Pretty sure though that they'll at least continue the numbers at where it is now for quite some time...
Yep, how long is anybody's guess. The results of the last DCA Board, released last month, had 16 Primary selections and 6 Alternate selections - all of the Alternates were given a call and told they had been "promoted" to Primary.

gunfighter77

pilot
I read the article but I am a little confused. How does the Coast Guard plan to carry out the Air Intercept mission? (Hopefully they'll see nothing faster than a Cessna if they use helos.) What do they plan on shooting the other aircraft down with? Very interesting...:confused:

FOX-2?:icon_rage

USCGaviator

pilot
The CG's HLS (Homeland Security) role has increased over the course of the past few years. The link I posted was an example of the possible mission growth being reported by the media. To the best of my knowledge this mission is being conducted by CBP.