• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Day in the life of a Coastie pilot

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That 10 years active duty is a killer. I really wonder if that's set in stone, or if they're as desperate for Jayhawk pilots as they say, and can waiver that.

KBayDog

gatordev said:
That 10 years active duty is a killer. I really wonder if that's set in stone, or if they're as desperate for Jayhawk pilots as they say, and can waiver that.

There's got to be waivers. Otherwise, their talent pool would be quite small. According to the guidelines, you are SOL if you've been flying a desk - or humping a pack - for the two years prior to the application deadline.

Is it just me, or does it seem that this program is targeting WOs? In addition to requiring active flight time within the previous two years, they are asking basically all USN/USMC aviators to take a substantial pay cut (which might be worth it if you really want to go CG).

Also, after college/TBS/flight school (especially with all the wait time), it seems that most Marine/Navy aviators would be nearing the upper limits for both age and TIS by the time the obligated service is completed.

Now - are there normally reserve openings, and if so, are the requirements generally looser?

USCGaviator

pilot
There's got to be waivers. Otherwise, their talent pool would be quite small.
It is my understanding that the exact reverse of this is true. Interest in the program is high resulting in a sufficient number of quality applicants - no waivers required.

According to the guidelines, you are SOL if you've been flying a desk - or humping a pack - for the two years prior to the application deadline.
That's true.

Is it just me, or does it seem that this program is targeting WOs?
It's just you. The results of the last DCA Board (announced 9 Jan 06) show that 16 pilots were selected. Of that number 3 were Warrant Officers (19%). Here's a link to the message if you're interested:

* DIRECT COMMISSION OFFICER (DCO) PROGRAM 29 NOV 05 SELECTION
PANEL RESULTS

In addition to requiring active flight time within the previous two years, they are asking basically all USN/USMC aviators to take a substantial pay cut (which might be worth it if you really want to go CG).
If an initial reduction in rank from O-3 to O-2 causes someone serious heartburn, then a transfer to the CG is not the way to go. Life is full of tough choices...

Now - are there normally reserve openings, and if so, are the requirements generally looser?
We do not have reservists that fly, only AD.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We do not have reservists that fly, only AD.

Ahh, not so fast. You do have reservists that fly. I'm flying with one of them now. But as was said earlier, there's always exceptions.

It is my understanding that the exact reverse of this is true. Interest in the program is high resulting in a sufficient number of quality applicants - no waivers required.

While this may be true, and waivers are a no go, the CG is reporting that they don't have enough Jayhawk pilots right now. So the interest may be high, but not high enough. Time will tell...

sardaddy

pilot
"Ahh, not so fast. You do have reservists that fly. I'm flying with one of them now. But as was said earlier, there's always exceptions."

Can you expand on this, because the CG doesn't let reservists maintain their qualifications as pilots. They may have been a rated aviator on active duty, and they of course get to keep their wings once they go into the reserves, but they can't even log CP time as a reservist.

"the CG is reporting that they don't have enough Jayhawk pilots right now."

Who are they reporting that to? Neither the H-65 or the H-60 programs are fully manned but neither are at critical strength. Of the two, the H-60 side is probably better off.

KBayDog

USCGaviator said:
If an initial reduction in rank from O-3 to O-2 causes someone serious heartburn, then a transfer to the CG is not the way to go. Life is full of tough choices...

Some decisions are tougher than others. I wouldn't be eligible for this program (since I'll nearly be collecting Social Security when my obligated service is up).

However, if I were a young O-3 today with ~8 yrs service (and at the end of my obligated service), a cut of over $10,500 in basic pay alone would probably give me a little heartburn.

But, obviously, people are taking advantage of the program, so good on them. Different strokes, right?

sardaddy

pilot
Elder,

I don't even know how to start. I'll do my best though. Yes I was speaking from the Helo perspective. The fixed wing perspective isn't that different, with the exceptions that made your comments so absolutely, so outrageously, hilarious. From the rotary wing perspective, that is.

Everybody stands ODO, Everybody stands duty, everybody has collateral duties. Same, same. Deployments vary by location. Some helo units have airfacs and pilots are gone for short stints but everyone deploys in one form or another. Fixed wing pilots get four year orders just like rotary wing pilots. No really big differences there.

The only differences between the rotary wing and fixed wing perspectives are that helicopter pilots define their careers by the rescues they have made, not by where they got to spend the night TAD. Speaking of that, after Hurricane Katrina, I too flew several times in to New Orleans, what a coincidence.

Overall, the daily operations between pilots is not that different. I was going to go into your post more indepth but the pickin's were just too easy. In one post you were able to stick just about every C-130 pilot stereotype perfectly. I will pass it off as a new CP trying to fit into his new skin and leave it be.

USCGaviator

pilot
However, if I were a young O-3 today with ~8 yrs service (and at the end of my obligated service), a cut of over $10,500 in basic pay alone would probably give me a little heartburn.
I agree that there are many guys (and gals) out there that feel exactly as you stated. The point I was trying to make was that if the desire to transfer to the CG does not outweigh the costs (e.g. drop in rank from O-3 to O-2 and the resulting decrease in $$) then a move to the CG is not the right decision. If pay is your motivator, you're better off staying where you are.

Different strokes, right?
Without a doubt...that's what keeps it interesting!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sardaddy:

There's a guy going through the FITU w/ me who worked some sort of drug deal to finish out his 20. He's a reservist who came back in after the standard post-9/11 fallout w/ the airlines. He admits it's rare, but it worked for him.

As for the Jayhawks, that came from this last NHA meet. I wasn't at the presentation, but the gist was they need Jayhawk pilots. How bad, I don't know, just that they need them. I'm only the messenger.

sardaddy

pilot
GatorDev,

Sorry, don't know what a FITU is. Sounds cool though.

It sounds like he came back on active duty which makes sense. Let me expand my comment before to make it fit the situation better. There are a lot of folks who are/were in the reserves that are aviators. If they playing a true reservist role, i.e. one weekend a month, two weeks a year, they will not be acting as pilots in the Coast Guard.

However, he could certainly hold a "reserve commission" while on contract in an active duty position (active duty being the key) and be qualified and operating as a pilot. Lots of folks did that after 9/11. I think I understand now. We were talking about two different things.

As for the Jayhawk thing, yes we need Jayhawk pilots, we need dolphin pilots too. For about a week three or four months ago there was a panic that we were going to need tons of H-60 pilots but that passed quickly as cooler heads prevailed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Copy all. FITU is Fixed-Wing Training Unit. Where they make instructors under training into instructors for flight school.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
sardaddy said:
Elder,
The only differences between the rotary wing and fixed wing perspectives are that helicopter pilots define their careers by the rescues they have made, not by where they got to spend the night TAD. Speaking of that, after Hurricane Katrina, I too flew several times in to New Orleans, what a coincidence.

Overall, the daily operations between pilots is not that different. I was going to go into your post more indepth but the pickin's were just too easy. In one post you were able to stick just about every C-130 pilot stereotype perfectly. I will pass it off as a new CP trying to fit into his new skin and leave it be.

Wow ... in no part of my post did I rip on the helo community or you what so ever, and yet you do nothing but chastise the fixed wing and myself. I was merely answering the original posters question of, "Would any of you Coastie pilot types be willing to share what it's like in that branch of the service, as a pilot?"

And since you were in fact answering to the helo aspect, and you covered the basics, I thought I would add the C-130 nuances and expand on the type of work/cases we do and what I have personally seen in the last 6 months.

Obviously, it's your choice to define your career by the rescues you have made. But since I haven't spoken for you, I respectfully request you not speak for me. Personally, I define my career by the accomplishments I have made (in and outside the cockpit, before and after my wings) and the people I have worked with. I recognize it's a group effort and it's not all about the flying. It's the people I will remember when I leave this great serivce, not the cases I've been on.

I can't speak to your unit, or any other, as I departed the last Air Station (of the previous 3) I was last assigned to in 1998. I do believe, however, the daily flight ops are somewhat different between our 60 pilots and our 130 pilots. For example, at my unit the ready 60 pilots usually don't fly a trainer while the ready 130 pilots will fly a night trainer and then a day. Our helo pilots average 400+ hours annualy, while the fixed wing guys average 500-600.

But you are right ... I am just a newbie co-pilot. My 17 years account for nothing. I should just learn to keep my mouth shut and let you speak for everyone. Excuse me for wanting to help the poster out and include my aspect.

*bows down before greatness*

USCGaviator

pilot
But you are right ... I am just a newbie co-pilot. My 17 years account for nothing.
I wouldn't say "nothing" but I would say "close to nothing." The problem is you like to tout your 17 years of service to imply that your some ol' crusty aviation veteran. You're not. You state in one of your posts on this forum that you winged this year and became a C-130 copilot in August. That was 6 friggin months ago! 180 days ago! 4,320 hours ago! This by definition, my friend, IS a newbie copilot....plain and simple.

The fact that you were stationed at 3 different Air Stations as an enlisted Yeoman (I don't know how many times you've aluded to this) and try to pass this off as a way to lend credibility to your aviation prowess is laughable. If we have a question about our LES, want help with a travel claim, or need some correspondence quickly typed you'll be the first guy we call.

I should just learn to keep my mouth shut and let you speak for everyone. Excuse me for wanting to help the poster out and include my aspect.
Nobody is asking you to keep your mouth shut. In fact, you provide a valuable perspective for many on this forum. That perspective, however, is one from a very junior pilot still learning the ropes. Don't try to pass yourself off as anything but that...it's very transparent and does little to help the readers of this forum that have valid questions about CG aviation.

Come back to Air Warriors 7 or 8 years from now and re-read this thread. By then, you'll understand what I mean.

JC52083

We need T-6 Avatars
Being the geek that I am, I read online that you coasties used to have NFO's, or more appropriately, CGFOs. I am a lazy and stopped googling so I am just going to ask anyone on AW if they know what platforms the CGFOs were in and why they were gotten rid of (I mean if there was an issue besides obsolesence). Any coastie aviators (well, i guess the herc guys) think they could use a FO?