• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CY 2011 DCO IW/IP/Intel boards: discussion and speculation

wtrresq2011

My recruiter is out-of-town on "Navy business". He has an autoreply on his email and although he did call me back earlier in the week, it was basically a voice mail message saying he won't be available until Monday. I say it's a heck of a week for the recruiters to be unavailable.

wtrresq2011

Called the office. No word yet. Some info is back to the recruiters but not on my application. Looks like I'll have to wait it out.

das

Contributor
The recruiters should now have access to the results letter, which contains the selection status of each individual with a package in at this board.

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
I just got off the phone. I am a non-select again. My recruiter read off the selection criteria and even though I would have aced each part, I didn't get in. She is very confused as to why. What happened to them picking alternates? Well, time to start working on Sept package. :(

das

Contributor
mbstroz, I'm sorry to hear that. Recently it's just been a case of sheer numbers of highly-qualified applicants. I know from the last few boards (and my two non-selects!) there are people who are eminently qualified in every way that have not gotten selected. The selection letter will list general qualities of people selected, but it should also lists general reasons why people were non-select: that's the area to focus on. It is not uncommon to apply multiple times before selection. As long as this is something you want, as long as you are willing to put the time in, and as long as you have a recruiter willing to send up your packages, keep going for it! SEP will be here before you realize it. Be advised you may need a letter of reconsideration since the SEP board dates are sooner than 6 months from your notification of non-select. This letter is a place to describe what you have done to improve your package in the meantime. This could be community/volunteer work, getting a certification, beginning further academic work, additional interviews, etc...what is true no matter what is that you will be a better person for the process. I wish you all the best and if there's anything I can do don't hesitate to contact me.

tsnoah

mbstroz,

Sorry to hear you were a non-select. Sounds like a brutal numbers game with the numbers that Das threw up. I had an INTEL package at this board and am sitting on pins and needles over here. Haven't felt like this since I waited by my mailbox for college admissions letters!

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
To mbstroz: what did you apply for?
I applied for IP.

To Das.
Thanks. I know it's hard on anyone who doesn't get it but I won't quit. I want this too much. This is my second time submitting but I'm pretty sure it's the first time my packet actually made it to the board. I submitted a letter of reconsideration for this one. I'm just focusing now on finishing my Masters in July and thinking of getting my CISSP to seal the deal. I already have Security + and ITIL V3 so a few more certs can't hurt. I need to do more community/volunteer work though to seal the deal.

das

Contributor
I applied for IP.

To Das.
Thanks. I know it's hard on anyone who doesn't get it but I won't quit. I want this too much. This is my second time submitting but I'm pretty sure it's the first time my packet actually made it to the board. I submitted a letter of reconsideration for this one. I'm just focusing now on finishing my Masters in July and thinking of getting my CISSP to seal the deal. I already have Security + and ITIL V3 so a few more certs can't hurt. I need to do more community/volunteer work though to seal the deal.

It sounds like you have the right idea. It also can't hurt to find some more officers to do another interview or two. I can tell you that I traveled across the country for 3 of my interviews...in the end I don't know if it was any "one" thing that did it, but showing determination won't hurt your package. Persistence is key. My last motivational statement closed with, "Please select me so I can stop the application process and move on to military service!"

wtrresq2011

I have no idea if I made it or not yet, but I know throughout the process I have been told over and over that real-life leadership experience is a key factor in improving your chances for being selected. I heard this in all the interviews and from the three different recruiters I have worked with over the past year. Your area is more technical than mine, and all those certifications are probably really important, but look for opportunities to lead people, even if it is in a volunteer organization. Volunteer for a fundraising project, community building project, something if you don't have a lot of leadership on your history.

Maybe DAS or someone with actual Navy experience can verify this for you. Good luck next time.

das

Contributor
I can echo what wtrresq2011 says...other Navy Officer accession paths (OCS, NROTC, etc.) are designed, in theory, to teach the leadership skills necessary to be a successful Naval Officer. The direct commission path is looking for people who already have clear and established leadership experience. Often, this comes in the form of formal management experience in your civilian job -- but it doesn't have to. Demonstrated leadership experience underlies all the academics, certifications, etc. As wtrresq2011 says, it can be in the form of community and volunteer organizations, fundraising, etc.

I started a scholarship in the name of a strong personal and professional mentor to me. It is now a permanent endowment at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, and will make an award each year to a deserving future Navy or Marine Corps Officer at the NROTC unit here. The first award will be given to a student next month, and will do so every spring from now on. It turned out to be a lot of work, but it was worth it...and no matter what happened, this is a good thing that will live on and benefit others, just like volunteer work you might do in your own community.

I believe the process itself is part of the experience...

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
I agree. I ended up with 3 IP phone interviews and an in person O6 interview. I work here at a NIOC in GA so finding Navy officers for interviews isn't an issue. I must have checked with 2 or 3 other O6's to review my packet and they were confident I would be selected. I even got a Senator endorsement. I was a bit cocky in my motivational statement saying when I get in instead of if but I guess it didn't work. Hopefully try number 3 is a charm. Or 4. Maybe 5. I'm not done until they say yes.