• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

custom flight bag?

onedge

pilot
Words may not be able to describe. I can only guess there's nothing better to do in Meridian than design your very own nav bag. ya. hoo. I would say enjoy your time off and cross the pubs bridge when you get to it.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
You don't need some super slick custom pubs bag at this point in your career. When you make it to the appropriate point in your career you will know it. Until then the standard pubs bags work as does your helmet bag. If you are really into custom crap here are the best 2 places I have found for gear. They are both in Korea and both can make any custom bag that you send them info on. (pictures, sketches, measurements, Brand name and style you like, etc.)
http://gounicorn.com/index.unicorn
http://royalbag.kr/

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Why aren't the black ones good enough to hold your pubs? They're free...and not gay.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know the OP is thinking about primary (where obviously he needs nothing like this), but for those of us getting into the T-45, these bags fit pretty well in the limited space available. As for the custom designs, I'm not really into it personally, but there have certainly been some entertaining ones around......gay or not, it is common here.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
d_7272.jpg

phrogpilot73

I personally think it's stupid and/or gay to get a custom made one while in a training pipeline.

A well built custom made bag to your specifications isn't cheap. Mine cost about $85. Throughout flight school, I used my helmet bag/cheap nav bag from wings. I didn't even replace it until I had enough hours/missions in my fleet aircraft to know what I needed/wanted.

I think you're smart to wait until you get to the fleet and know what you need.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I have a little nav bag from flight school, but haven't touched it since I was winged. At both the RAG and my fleet squadron, the squadron supplied nav bags that ideally had all the applicable pubs in them. 2P preflights it and then takes it to the bird. No need for everyone and their brother to have a nav bag (and thus eliminates the need to have a monstrous pubs locker). I've been known to keep a local VFR sectional, IFR low chart, and Approach plate in my helmet bag "just in case", since you never know when the Nav Pubs Officer is gonna decide it's no longer his job to update nav bags or your nav bag wasn't properly preflighted.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Why aren't the black ones good enough to hold your pubs? They're free...and not gay.

When are we issued these free black ones? Is that a p-3 thing?

In Meridian, 90% have the custom ones, and they only cost $35. Wait till you get here then get one

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
No need for everyone and their brother to have a nav bag (and thus eliminates the need to have a monstrous pubs locker).

The problem you run into in a plane like the Clown Jet is that you cant pass anything from front to back. Both stud and IP need a full set of pubs. When youre talking about an ONAV/AN cross country across several states the approach plates/STARs/Low & Hi Charts + Route Books add up real quick.

@t-45 guys : Call up wings and get a Hornet bag. It'll hold everything you need and fits nicely in the little hell-hole on the right behind the ECS knobs.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
@t-45 guys : Call up wings and get a Hornet bag. It'll hold everything you need and fits nicely in the little hell-hole on the right behind the ECS knobs.

+1, it's a good bag and has a little bit better fit and finish IMHO than the custom ones, while also being more compact. Also, it looks simple and professional, where some folks have bags that look like grade school lunch boxes.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
sorry. didn't know it was considered stupid and/or gay. won't get one.

Never apologize for asking a legit question. The only ones calling it gay are the guys not flying in small cockpits with ejection seats. Furthermore, there are more important things to worry about in a flight brief then the design on your flight bag. My helmet bag does not fit in the T-45, but im sure it would if I was in a big P-3 or TH-57. If its not a necessity then you probably don't need to drop the extra dough.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Never apologize for asking a legit question. The only ones calling it gay are the guys not flying in small cockpits with ejection seats. Furthermore, there are more important things to worry about in a flight brief then the design on your flight bag. My helmet bag does not fit in the T-45, but im sure it would if I was in a big P-3 or TH-57. If its not a necessity then you probably don't need to drop the extra dough.

Seems like this pretty much sums it up. You don't need them yet. Don't worry about them yet. IF you get TH/jets, then it has its merits. IF you don't, it doesn't. In the HTs, we never had helmet bags, just your helmet, kneeboard, and then a pub bag. Someone had to have a NATOPS w/ them, as well. In the VTs, you won't need a pub bag until the end, so you can figure out what you might need by then.

Is it just me, or is everyone making this way harder than it needs to be?