• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CUBI CAT is BA-A-A-ACK ??

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I thought one might could be scrounged from Ingleside.

Turns out they're fairly expensive and don't get replaced all that often, so appropriating one would likely be a bit more high viz than you really want.

Might be time to explore other options.

McMaster Carr has these babies:

"Quick Release Lifting Hook" (pg. 1403, about 1/2 way down the page)

Or maybe a simple Pintle hook setup could work? They're cheap and plentiful.

Clevis connectors with a pin that could be pulled out would be a cheap and easy solution, but may not be quite the design you were going for.

MasterBates

A4s, I appreciate the offer, but the arresting hook is made, I forge them out of a single peice of steel. The Goshawk hook is much longer life than the old A4 hook and they are hard to come by, so we made the decision to use a locally made "Scale model" for the hook.

The thing I need the pelican hook for is the holdback, to keep the cart "in tension" as the safety chain is removed and to fire the catapult.

The link here show the thing I want to use as a holdback, but I don't need it to be stainless, and don't want it to be uber-expensive.

http://www.highlandrigging.com/shop...03&template=Htx/s0180-03.htx&displayNumber=25

Attachments

• Hook1Small.jpg
    Hook1Small.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 136

MasterBates

Prop Addict, those look like they may work. And they are much-mo cheaper than the USCG SS Hooks.

I was hoping to scrounge a USN P-Hook, but like you said, they are not cheap.

MasterBates

PHCS = Pelican Hook Chain Stopper , what I was planning on using as the holdback.

More pics of the CubiCat constriction. I have an avi movie of the 1st A-gear test, but I don't possess the YouTube-Fu to put it up. It's 10ish MB.

Attachments

• TrackSmall.jpg
    TrackSmall.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 128
  • WeldingSmall.jpg
    WeldingSmall.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 121
  • engagementsmall.jpg
    engagementsmall.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 111

MasterBates

Local MWR is paying for the raw materials. The trick has been to stay in budget because steel and machine parts aren't cheap.

There have been some donations, but what can't be donated we have gotten reimbursed for. Just so everyone is clear, there has been maybe $100 out of pocket for the SNA/JOPA crowd, and that's because we lost the receipts. Of course donations of parts that "Cant be bought" (stick, historical style helmets) are appreciated.

The local MWR director lurks here occasionally, she can give more info on the "how" things are funded. I just design and build the stuff, and stay as cheap as possible any way I can.

The guys who deserve the real thanks are the numerous JOs who have dug the pit with me in 100+ degree heat, held on the end of glowing red hot steel bar as I forge it into a hook, sanded the cart and painted it, and helped me cut and erect steel in a 110+ degree welding shop.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....The local MWR director lurks here occasionally, she can give more info on the "how" things are funded....

RIGHT !!!

Next time she's there ... ask her why/how "things are funded" @ the gym @ NAS Whidbey when they recently got all new flat screen TV's 'cause the old ones were .... *gasp* .... old(er). :eek:

The new flat screen TV's should impress Al Qaeda. :)

I weep for the future of Naval Aviation.

Flugelman

Contributor
Hey MB, if you don't find a righteous "Stick", how about taking one off a game controller (ala Saitek) and mounting that on a piece of pipe? It would at least look cool, lots of buttons and all. Something like that could be found at garage sales, etc... Just a thought.

MPH

Hey MB, if you don't find a righteous "Stick", how about taking one off a game controller (ala Saitek) and mounting that on a piece of pipe? It would at least look cool, lots of buttons and all. Something like that could be found at garage sales, etc... Just a thought.

If y'all could live with the F-16 shame I have a cougar HOTAS stick I could donate. It's metal and hollow. Also, if you're using pipe as the base, it has threads you could screw on to a pre-fabricated piece for easy removal if you'd like.

cougar.jpg

The gray portion at the base of the stick would screw onto apprx. a 1.25" threaded pipe. I'll provide accurate measurements if you're interest.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I refuse to believe in a day where there is(was last time I was there) a frigain A-4 Skyhawk stick as well as what I believe is a T-2 stick acting as beer taps at the VT-9/7 bar, that no one has an extra grip?

Someone just steal one off the taps in Meridian and blame it on L3.

Better yet, next time I get into another jet with the safety wire on the stick not attached and the horse collar un done enough so the f'er can just come off, I'll take it with me.<-------no I would never do that.

I too have an old computer control stick, but unfortunately its an exact replica of an F-15's from like 1990......and I refuse to let something as awesome as this be flown with anything with "Air Farce" on the side of it.

MasterBates

I looked at borrowing our bar tap handle, but it's a LSO Pickle.

It seems Pickles can be had easily, but A/C sticks are hard to come by. The 2 crashed birds had been picked clean before I was able to even look.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Uhh, we have a surplus T-6 cockpit trainer that might be available...I'll take a pic...
Do you just need the stick assembly?