• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Criminal Record..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a juvenile (17 yrs old) I was waiting in my car while 3 of my "friends" were robbing a house for rifles. While I was not aware of this fact (I had been deceived) I was still charged with the same three felonies that they were, and my fingerprints were taken. We received no punishment for these crimes from the juvenile justice department, partly because they would have had to punish all 4 of us equally, and I was obviously not as guilty as they were, even though when they got back in the car with the rifles I didn't snitch, and you're damn right I didn't snitch. Anyways I was wondering if I could still be a naval officer and eventually a pilot? I know the government can go into juvenile records, but my case is slightly...different? I have the high school grades, and soon the college grades (plan on attending Univ. of MD in fall 2006). The only kink in my whole life story is that one fateful afternoon when I was lied to and used. What do you guys think? If i'm screwed, just say so. Thanks

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
BreakOnThrough said:
When I was a juvenile (17 yrs old) I was waiting in my car while 3 of my "friends" were robbing a house for rifles. While I was not aware of this fact (I had been deceived) I was still charged with the same three felonies that they were, and my fingerprints were taken. We received no punishment for these crimes from the juvenile justice department, partly because they would have had to punish all 4 of us equally, and I was obviously not as guilty as they were, even though when they got back in the car with the rifles I didn't snitch, and you're damn right I didn't snitch. Anyways I was wondering if I could still be a naval officer and eventually a pilot? I know the government can go into juvenile records, but my case is slightly...different? I have the high school grades, and soon the college grades (plan on attending Univ. of MD in fall 2006). The only kink in my whole life story is that one fateful afternoon when I was lied to and used. What do you guys think? If i'm screwed, just say so. Thanks
The textbook answer is probably: "You'll never know if you don't apply." The Navy has been known to overlook some youthful indiscretions, but this looks like it might be a deal-breaker.

"You're damn right I didn't snitch"??????????
Since you asked, my own personal opinion is that your story (as presented here) is fVcking bullsh!t. Even if you were "not aware" of what your friends were doing, your post is almost bragging about the fact you didn't do the right thing when faced with the moral dilemma. This not snitching business is crap, and sounds like it was pulled from a bad hollywood script. As a Naval Officer, you would have the moral obligation to "snitch" if you witness something like that. Again, I can pardon some youthful indiscretion - lord knows I had some. But in this case, I think you and your "friends" are lucky the owner of said rifles didn't chase you down the street and put a few holes in your head.

I'm not trying to criticize you b/c you had some bad luck in your past. I'm pointing out that, even when the lightbulb came on, you didn't do the correct thing. As presented in your post, it sounds like you're proud about doing the wrong thing. The Navy is going to tell you where to shove it, if that is your attitude.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I can't imagine that 3 felonies would be good, but who knows....you will never know for sure unless you apply. Just remember that each case has its own specific circumstances. Whatever you do, make sure that you are up-front about your criminal history. There are probably people on this board who actually have experience in this area, but that is just some general advice. (edit: you beat me to it Airgreg)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
airgreg said:
........I'm pointing out that, even when the lightbulb came on, you didn't do the correct thing. As presented in your post, it sounds like you're proud about doing the wrong thing. The Navy is going to tell you where to shove it, if that is your attitude.

.... and the rest of your post, too: BZ, rep points, and well said.

KBayDog

BreakOnThrough said:
When I was a juvenile (17 yrs old)

BZ Airgreg.

Here's something else to consider, Break: It's not like you stole a candy bar when were seven. Based on your profile, you *were charged with* the three felonies in the last year or two. That doesn't help you.

(Like others have said, though, it can't hurt to try. Just do yourself a favor and start working on your Plan B.)

It's easy to make the right decisions in hindsight, isn't it. But I'm no snitch. It's ironic that the reason we got busted is because we got snitched on. Perhaps I can try to get it expunged since I was pretty much pardoned from the whole crime. If only I wasn't fingerprinted, then they probably wouldnt have a way of finding out about this ordeal.

And question, is the government the only organization that can access juvenile records? Up until recently I was under the impression that the juvenile records were sealed and not accessible by anyone, but I learned recently that the government is exempt from such seals.

If anyone was wondering, the three felonies were Breaking and Entering, Malicious Destruction of Property, and Theft over $500.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Charged with felonies and convicted of felonies may be, with respect to entry into the Navy, two different matters.

However, the idea that "and you're damn right I didn't snitch." is repulsive and not what the Navy, or any other branch, needs. Your loyalty to three common thieves is nothing to brag about.

My nephew was in essentially the same situation as you...decieved..maybe..by three friends who robbed a liquor store. The guy who got robbed did not even recognize him. He got convicted and sent to prison for five years.

I hope you turn out better than he does and decide very quickly to stop letting your life be even so slightly defined by misplaced loyalty to three 'friends' who decide it is ok to break the law. I appreciate loyalty as much as the next guy, but these guys put your life and your future at risk and would not amount to a pimple on the ass of a real and true friend.

Take a look at the replies from experienced people on this board and then decide how cool it was to not be a snitch in that situation. I think you will quickly determine that your previous actions are not consistent with those actions of folks who are current Naval Aviators.

Good luck to you.

KBayDog

BreakOnThrough said:
...I'm no snitch...If only I wasn't fingerprinted, then they probably wouldnt have a way of finding out about this ordeal.

Alright, Mugsy - you're no stool pigeon. You've made that clear. I hope you feel good about it, too.

You've also shown your lack of moral courage (as would be defined by most in the naval services) by not reporting felonious behavior, and willing to fradulently contract if only they hadn't fingerprinted you for your crime. (BTW, fraudulently entering the military is also a crime.)

I'd turn that Plan "B" into a Plan "A" tonight.

I didn't mean "you're damn right I didn't snitch" as in I was loyal so much as I was scared and didn't want anyone, especially the police, to know about it.

I didn't ask you to judge me on my moral code, or accuse me of lacking moral courage, I just wanted your opinion on how it might play out. The truth is on my side, I wouldn't hide anything from "them"

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
A Navy recruiter friend of mine used to say (regarding 'youthful indescretions') "Hindsight is 20/20, but stupidity is forever."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BreakOnThrough said:
It's easy to make the right decisions in hindsight, isn't it. But I'm no snitch. It's ironic that the reason we got busted is because we got snitched on. Perhaps I can try to get it expunged since I was pretty much pardoned from the whole crime. If only I wasn't fingerprinted, then they probably wouldnt have a way of finding out about this ordeal.

And question, is the government the only organization that can access juvenile records? Up until recently I was under the impression that the juvenile records were sealed and not accessible by anyone, but I learned recently that the government is exempt from such seals.

Wait a minute. You're sounding like a "sea lawyer" already. When I applied, they wanted to know about speeding tickets and if you had ever been arrested and if so, for what. If you were charged and convicted, you were not pardoned, regardless of what punishment was. Besides, you will be interviewed as part of the process and the argument that you "were pretty much pardoned" doesn't hold any water and I know what I'd say if I was on the panel and you threw that explanation at me or "I'm not a snitch". Not that snitches are wanted, there was time to exit stage left or walk away from your "friends". You hung with them and became an accessory to the act. If you are trying to rationalize your actions or lack thereof...the panel will likely conclude that is your version of ethics and risk of you repeating this type act as an officer is too great.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
BreakOnThrough said:
It's easy to make the right decisions in hindsight, isn't it. But I'm no snitch. It's ironic that the reason we got busted is because we got snitched on.
You're no snitch?? Maybe if you were honest in the first place and told them what happened and how you didn't know what was going on all of this would have been avoided. Sure, it's easy to get caught up in the moment and make a bad decision, but you had time to make things right. You had hindsight and still made the wrong decision.

It's easy for all of you to say what the "right" or "wrong" decision was since none of you were actually in the situation. How many times have any of you had to "explain" yourself to someone else? When you have to add an "explanation" on to the facts? It's the same thing here. There are facts, but the facts dont tell the whole story. And I told them what happened, the truth, but do you think the cops bought any of it? I'm sure the "unknowing criminal" story is fairly common.

And plus, you are all judging me on the fact that I didn't snitch. Let's forget that I said that for a second, and consider the fact that I was charged with the three felonies, but I committed none of them?

KBayDog

BreakOnThrough said:
And I told them what happened, the truth, but do you think the cops bought any of it? I'm sure the "unknowing criminal" story is fairly common.

How did this go from "I didn't snitch" to "I told them what happened...but do you think the cops bought any of it?"

And plus, you are all judging me on the fact that I didn't snitch. Let's forget that I said that for a second...

No, let's not. You did say it. Stop trying to rationalize your behavior. It ain't working.

But thanks for one of the most amusing threads I have seen in a long, long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.