• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Did we get rid of the Presidential Fitness Award for kids in school? My daughter is only two so I guess I haven't thought about it in a long time but if so we need to bring that back. Getting those blue patches were awesome. Although today it'd probably make some fat kid feel bad and not making kids feel bad is more important than rewarding those deserving of it.
Did your school actually prepare kids for it? We just played games like dodgeball...then one day the two kids in the class that could naturally do a pullup got an award.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Did your school actually prepare kids for it? We just played games like dodgeball...then one day the two kids in the class that could naturally do a pullup got an award.

During PE we would practice some of the events at times - Granted this was 25+ years ago in San Diego.

Regardless, should schools prepare you for everything? Parental and personal responsibility has nothing to do with it?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
During PE we would practice some of the events at times - Granted this was 25+ years ago in San Diego.

Regardless, should schools prepare you for everything? Parental and personal responsibility has nothing to do with it?
Yeah, I totally take my 7 year old into the yard to do pull-ups, situps, and shuttle runs every day. She loves it. /s

The point I was making is the test examines some very specific movements during a time in a kid's development where there is a wide range of 'normal.' The kids who do the best on this test usually are the ones who developed earlier rather than ones who have a disciplined physical fitness regimen. On top of that, if PE isn't focused on practicing the movements then why bother giving the test?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That blows. Support the police. Don’t defund the police.

I have zero problem with LE calling in sick to avoid working protests/riots. It is your leave time, it’s a standard benefit of employment, you’ve earned it, take it when you want. If you are not sick but you want to take sick leave to avoid potentially getting sick, I have no issue with that either. If municipal leaders have a problem with that, they can start a conversation about how to properly incentivize and compensate their LE officers.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm guessing they're better as a group when it comes to washing their hands regularly, coughing or sneezing into their sleeves instead of wherever, not picking their noses... basic shit that you're supposed to learn to graduate kindergarten.

SlickAg

pilot
I'm guessing they're better as a group when it comes to washing their hands regularly, coughing or sneezing into their sleeves instead of wherever, not picking their noses... basic shit that you're supposed to learn to graduate kindergarten.
So we should have mandatory hygiene lessons instead?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So we should have mandatory hygiene lessons instead?
I think the train left the station on that a long time ago... or rather, the shitter left the stall and walked right past the sink and out the door, or did stop at the sink but did water only and skipped the soap, or... well, you get the idea.

I'm not a germophobe, not the kind of person who freaks out at every turn in public places, but there are a lot of disgusting mofos walking amongst us, I'm just sayin'.

SlickAg

pilot
So...we should remove our masks and open up the bars?
You saw my response about masks.

As far as opening up bars, see @HAL Pilot ’s post a few above yours. You can’t say with a straight face that the cities and municipalities can “allow” the massive protests but shut down a business. It’s one or the other.

I think it’s great that people went out and took advantage of their Constitutionally-protected rights to peacefully assemble and say things they felt like saying. (As far as the violence, looting, and rioting, I don’t agree with breaking the law, harming others and/or their property, or violent confrontations to get your point across. But that fact of the matter is that it did indeed happen a LOT.)

But let’s not pretend that the virus stopped spreading at those events.

SlickAg

pilot
I think the train left the station on that a long time ago... or rather, the shitter left the stall and walked right past the sink and out the door, or did stop at the sink but did water only and skipped the soap, or... well, you get the idea.

I'm not a germophobe, not the kind of person who freaks out at every turn in public places, but there are a lot of disgusting mofos walking amongst us, I'm just sayin'.
I’m with you, I’m tired of people saying it’s because of “science”.

It’s not.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Yeah, I totally take my 7 year old into the yard to do pull-ups, situps, and shuttle runs every day. She loves it. /s

The point I was making is the test examines some very specific movements during a time in a kid's development where there is a wide range of 'normal.' The kids who do the best on this test usually are the ones who developed earlier rather than ones who have a disciplined physical fitness regimen. On top of that, if PE isn't focused on practicing the movements then why bother giving the test?

Flexibility, agility, strength, and stamina? Those are all key aspects of a healthy individual. Its not wrong to recognize people who are fit and healthy, especially in an age where that is increasingly rare. It was pretty easy to get a top score by just playing on a soccer team when I was around ages 8, 9, and 10 if I remember correctly. No "disciplined physical fitness regime" required.

Are you also against keeping score for children so no one's feelings get hurt? Why is it that we're so afraid of offending people by recognizing someone who has done well?

Apparently Vox, the top search result, thought it was evil, or rather "sadistic," which is not surprising given the slant of media these days. I'm sure they also think its wrong to not give "free" healthcare to everyone despite no accountability of how that person treats their body.

https://www.vox.com/2015/4/24/8489501/presidential-fitness-test