• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
South Korea is a much more densely populated country than we are. They've had about 300 dead. We will soon have 100,000 dead. That's not all cultural difference.
They also didn't shut down the country to the extent we did. But they did go all in from the start with contact tracing. Which was just equated to a Nazi tactic above.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In addition, I think there are also some perverse incentives at work, which may or may not inflate US death data. Medicare reimburses hospital for coronavirus related deaths, pneumonia deaths, and deaths that required ventilator use.

Or maybe countries are undercounting virus deaths, with the possible exception of Belgium of all places.

Joe Rogan has an interesting take on all this government spending related to coronavirus. He thinks that...

Yeah, I shoulda stopped reading right about there.

Meanwhile, the federal government is spending a certain amount of money on riot control gear.

Typically worthless reporting from The Intercept, I felt unclean the moment I opened that link and saw who it was.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
They also didn't shut down the country to the extent we did. But they did go all in from the start with contact tracing. Which was just equated to a Nazi tactic above.

Nazi tactic? Are you serious? Contact tracing has been used for years by the public health world in controlling or eradicating communicable diseases.

Mos

None
Same blah, blah, blah. Slightly different twist but the same.

Plus they are stupid questions.
I'd be interested in a substantive answer to the question. How does one square the argument that covid-19 isn't a significant threat to most of the population with the measures taken to eradicate it among the TR crew? If it's not that big of a deal, why not just let the ship get underway and let the virus do its thing?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I'd be interested in a substantive answer to the question. How does one square the argument that covid-19 isn't a significant threat to most of the population with the measures taken to eradicate it among the TR crew? If it's not that big of a deal, why not just let the ship get underway and let the virus do its thing?
I think a confined environment like a ship is a little different than normal society so taking more action is appropriate. Plus early on we didn’t know as much about the virus.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Why don't you man up and answer the question.
Why don't you man up and respond to my post. Tell us how your numerical comparisons make sense. OR be the bigger man, see how many likes that post has, and admit maybe you need to rethink your position.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Yeah, I shoulda stopped reading right about there.

Typically worthless reporting from The Intercept, I felt unclean the moment I opened that link and saw who it was.
The Intercept links to SAM.gov procurement activity. I agree the spin is a bit much, but the procurement actions are real (albeit small-dollar).

BT

W/r/t Joe Rogan's idea, the larger point is that:

1) Americans could be in better physical shape; obesity, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes are a problem.

2) Almost every medical doctor agrees that people who have one or more of the above conditions are at greater risk for coronavirus complications if they become infected (especially at increased age).

3) The federal government currently doesn't show much urgency on preventing obesity, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes; more could be done to talk about the long-term benefits of diet, exercise, sleep, and sunlight - three of which are free.

4) People should make their own decisions about diet and exercise (personal accountability), but some people simply don't know how to be healthy/ don't understand the consequences, and could use some advice.

Everyone's been lectured ad nauseum about mask-wearing and hand washing. One or two primers on basic fundamental diet and exercise wouldn't hurt, and if someone is already in perfect shape he/she can just ignore it and hopefully realize that it's not directed at him/her.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nazi tactic? Are you serious? Contact tracing has been used for years by the public health world in controlling or eradicating communicable diseases.
It was a referance to the nazi meme implying contact tracers were nazis. I do not think contact tracing is a nazi tactic. One of us gets a below average in communications.