• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Fully reopening likely won't get us the full economic benefit either, as the % of our GDP from international trade won't fully recover either. Travel to/from the US and "clean" nations will likely be problematic until we get our case load under control.

Your point is well taken, but technically, the lack of international trade should drive the GDP numbers higher. GDP = Private Consumption + Gross Investment + Government Investment + (Exports - Imports). Since we have been a net importer of goods (trade deficit ~$600 billion) for a while now, all else equal we would see an increase in GDP. The all else equal part might be a problem though...

taxi1

pilot
Your point is well taken, but technically, the lack of international trade should drive the GDP numbers higher. GDP = Private Consumption + Gross Investment + Government Investment + (Exports - Imports). Since we have been a net importer of goods (trade deficit ~$600 billion) for a while now, all else equal we would see an increase in GDP. The all else equal part might be a problem though...
???

There's not much we make here that doesn't have parts or materials from over there. It's a rare supply chain that isn't international these days.

On top of that, people just aren't going to go out as much while the virus is out and about, no matter how much we "fully reopen". Sweden, with its more liberal take on controlling it, is still seeing its economy severely hurt.

We will have an economic crisis until we no longer have a public health crisis.

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

Don't forget that Private Consumption piece makes up 60-70% of total GDP.

robav8r

None
Contributor
We will have an economic crisis until we no longer have a public health crisis.
Some people talk about the impact to the economy like it's having to change their travel plans, or not being able to buy their favorite item at the grocery store. Where the fuck has all the critical thinking gone when considering the real impacts that have already been loosed by this China Virus?

GroundPounder

Eradicate is a strong word and it has a specific technical definition. Those other examples are "eliminated" either worldwide or at least in certain regions. There's probably another term that comes before elimination, and so on...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

The DM is a bit out there, but the Mayor of LA seems to be going along the lines of what I meant by my post. I still think that the bar is getting set very high in certain locations.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
People are still not taking this seriously and many refuse to wear masks, which would cause USA COVID cases to plummet.

Waiting to see how people opposing the extended orders and masks are going to be acting in the winter when we are back to square one or worse.

I'd have no problem opening things back up if people wore f*cking masks. Our culture, unfortunately, will not allow for such things.

GroundPounder

That won't end well. If I recall correctly, L.A. has a long and storied history of civil unrest.

All of these restrictions are dependent on the majority of the people either believing they are in the best interest, or not having the desire to engage in whatever the activity is. I'm thankful that the majority of the people protesting / in disagreement with the rules are doing so in a peaceful manner.

taxi1

pilot
We will eventually have a large group of people without masks in close proximity yelling while there is an asymptomatic super spreader (say it, don’t spray it) in the mix. It could have been at the Castle Rock coffee shop the other day. A whole bunch of people will suddenly get sick.

Unfortunately, that is what it is going to take so people can develop a realistic understanding of the risk.

The Whitehouse would be there now, but they’ve got the testing regimen to get back out in front of it.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
That won't end well. If I recall correctly, L.A. has a long and storied history of civil unrest.
Was in LA for the first time in a few weeks yesterday. Significantly more cars on the freeways and I even briefly hit some no-shit stop-and-go. My pax loads are slowly increasing too. People are saying fuck it. Government can't enforce these lofty goals.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
We will eventually have a large group of people without masks in close proximity yelling while there is an asymptomatic super spreader (say it, don’t spray it) in the mix. It could have been at the Castle Rock coffee shop the other day. A whole bunch of people will suddenly get sick.

Unfortunately, that is what it is going to take so people can develop a realistic understanding of the risk.

The Whitehouse would be there now, but they’ve got the testing regimen to get back out in front of it.
Unless it’s a crowd of geriatrics, I’m not too concerned. Protect and isolate those vulnerable until treatment breakthrough/vaccine/herd immunity.

New stuff from France:

“We find 3.6% of infected individuals are hospitalized and 0.7% die, ranging from 0.001% in those <20 years of age (ya) to 10.1% in those >80ya.”