• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
So far (since March 14th) in my state (Texas) 46 people have lost their job for every person tested positive for the virus. 1507 people have lost their job for each death from the virus. Still on lockdown, so a lot of job losses to come.

But hey, if we save even one life it’s worth it.
This is sad. Not sure if I should like this, or not like this. We do need to do something about people and their livelihoods, $1,200 isn't going to cut it and neither is staying home indefinitely.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I also tend to think that everyone is primed to look at unemployment numbers in a traditional sense, ie a recession. This is a different thing. People still want to consume they just can't. To try and analyze this like a traditional recession won't be accurate.

It also has exposed a lot of fragility in our existing systems such as just in time delivery, centralized production, and maximizing profit to make #s look good so many companies initial reaction is a lay off or furlough.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Has anyone said "OK boomer" to Brett yet?
I believe you’re the senior officer on the dinq list for that one, sir. ;)
So far (since March 14th) in my state (Texas) 46 people have lost their job for every person tested positive for the virus. 1507 people have lost their job for each death from the virus. Still on lockdown, so a lot of job losses to come.

But hey, if we save even one life it’s worth it.
I hope most people can get re-employed at the same place or a different one, once the lockdown is lifted and businesses staff back up. If >90% of them get re-employed, it’s a win, but I realize that’s wishful thinking and not realistic. Yes, very sad.

Maybe people will take this time to evaluate their chosen profession, and consider a change of career.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’d also say McDonalds is not supposed to be a lifetime job and a person should invest in themselves while working there to learn a livable trade.
People Mack this, but an old neighbor of mine went from burger flipper to regional manager with McDonalds. Along a similar line my redneck sister-in-law (yes, my brother is a redneck) started as a part time Walmart worker and now runs one of their distribution centers. Some places like dedicated workers.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I believe you’re the senior officer on the dinq list for that one, sir. ;)

I hope most people can get re-employed at the same place or a different one, once the lockdown is lifted and businesses staff back up. If >90% of them get re-employed, it’s a win, but I realize that’s wishful thinking and not realistic. Yes, very sad.

Maybe people will take this time to evaluate their chosen profession, and consider a change of career.

Why wish a change in career? Just let them go to work. Lots of white collar jobs are up next.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Why wish a change in career? Just let them go to work. Lots of white collar jobs are up next.
Not wishing. But I recognize that many people may have felt “stuck” in their recent career and wanted a change themselves. Also, people are looking at their neighbors who are in essential jobs and wondering if the grass is greener/ more stable.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Living wages for start...
Great idea in theory, but who pays? According to Forbes, the 400 richest people in the US are worth approximately $2.96 trillion. Google quotes the US population at about 328.2 million people. Some quick math shows that if we were to somehow go all Kshama Sawant, magically confiscate the wealth of all those people, and cut a check to every living American, you'd be getting somewhere on the order of $9,000. Once. For that thought experiment, we'll ignore the knock-on effects of liquidating major companies that are the underpinnings of the US economy like Amazon (Bezos) and Wal-Mart (the Waltons).

I favor some social safety net, but at some point, Maggie Thatcher was right—you start running out of other people's money.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
People Mack this, but an old neighbor of mine went from burger flipper to regional manager with McDonalds. Along a similar line my redneck sister-in-law (yes, my brother is a redneck) started as a part time Walmart worker and now runs one of their distribution centers. Some places like dedicated workers.
I got hired at a Jack in the Box at 16 and was a store assistant manger by 18 and manager by 19. But that is not the minimum wage job we are talking about. Most don’t do that.