• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Hair Warrior

Contributor
DoD is also telling me to telework into the forseeable future, so square that circle . . .
You and I are probably tier four, and thus will be tested last. It’s the DoD so they might get around to testing weeks or months after telework ends.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I wonder what is gonna happen if someone tests for antibodies? Especially since I’ve read that some doctors say that antibodies doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t get it again.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
open up tattoo parlors and jerk joints

Coronavirus needs to enter the bloody not shoot out but I see your point on tattoo parlors. But the instruments are sterilized, the tatooers wear gloves and if they are wearing a mask what's the problem?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Coronavirus needs to enter the bloody not shoot out but I see your point on tattoo parlors. But the instruments are sterilized, the tatooers wear gloves and if they are wearing a mask what's the problem?

Trump seemed to say today in his press conference he was in violent disagreement with GA Gov Kemp's reopening policies.

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the virus though.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the virus though.
Obviously the experts don't seem to understand the virus either too since they change directions every day and can't agree with each other.

It's time to reopen the economy. The jerk joint part was a joke but the tattoo parlor part seems like reasonable precautions. 22 million unemployed and growing will kill more than the virus. It's time to stop the madness.

According to the CDC website, the hospitalizations per 100,000 people in the U.S. for car crashes are way more than those for coronavirus and those for accidental poisoning from household items are at least twice as much. Once hospitalized, they both have significantly higher death rates too. (No I'm not posting links as it is too hard from my phone when then info comes from multiple parts of the CDC website.) We don't ban or limit driving, we don't ban or limit all the household chemicals.

Keep this up and we will kill far more than we save. Precautions are good, shutting down the country for any longer is stupid.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Especially since I’ve read that some doctors say that antibodies doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t get it again.
Which is yet another thing that remains to be seen. The medical community has some discussion going on right now, about the cases who seemed to get well but then get sick again- whether they relapsed or if they got reinfected (there's a distinct difference), and if/how quickly your immune system "forgets" how to fight the virus and maybe we are vulnerable to reinfection, or if it doesn't really learn all that well in the first place, whether the people who got released from their hospitals might have had virus loads just barely below the threshold of the test. Sorta like (but not sorta like) how some viruses like HPV and chicken pox/shingles never really go away for good, or maybe also like the common cold in that a vaccine is practically impossible so it's best to focus on treatment instead.

We have only a few regulars on here who have the medical background to really grasp this stuff. For the rest of us it's a bit like passing around the study notes, which is all well and good but not the same thing.

My own understanding of this stuff amounts to some combination of high school biology, Schoolhouse Rock, and whatever I've read on the internet (while trying to apply my best critical thinking filter). It's fascinatingly complicated but all I'm really useful for is to think of good questions to ask a real doc. I ain't the right guy to be explaining much anything to anyone.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Decent article that discussed the differences between how the US and other countries deal with unemployment. Under this current situation some of the Euro models certainly seem to have some benefits to both companies and employees. Having a way to maintain your workforce instead of cutting them seems like it will be huge for industry to get running again because they know their same folks will be coming back. Not as good for profits in the short term of course but seems like it would help in the long term.

Will be interesting to see how this unemployment wave changes America. Personally I feel that a resurgence of a labor movement with a gig economy spin on it is coming. Labor movements have been quiet in the past 60yrs because the economy has been good but im curious as to how far companies can go.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
You’re right, comrade! How dare those evil capitalists try to maximize profits!!

View attachment 25338
One could argue that if someone is making $20 million a year, do they really need $23 million a year?

People on this thread are all about telling low income people to live within their means, but no one has a problem with millionaire/billionaire CEOs living in excess.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
One could argue that if someone is making $20 million a year, do they really need $23 million a year?

People on this thread are all about telling low income people to live within their means, but no one has a problem with millionaire/billionaire CEOs living in excess.
Everyone should live within their means. It’s not my business to say who is living in excess because I’m sure someone thinks I am.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot

Who cares... It’s their money..

One could argue that Bernie voters didn’t care how much money he has and how many houses..

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

Compared to MOST of the world everyone in the US is living in excess even people with low/no incomes. Even the poor can receive free housing, and probably have a cell phone and satellite TV. I work in Baltimore and used to drive through the projects to get to and from my office (short cut) and I would go past the housing projects and see the satellite dishes on the balcony's of many units. How many people in Africa, India and many other countries have a solid roof over their heads and satellite TV?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
People need to get paid to be able to buy stuff. Corporations want people to buy stuff but they also want to maximize profit which one hand means selling a lot and on the other hand means keeping wages low. But if they don't pay people enough then they can't afford to buy the stuff the company is making and then the company fails.
But you're missing a critical part of that cycle...People need to produce something (service, product, sky penis, whatever) in order to get paid. I think it would be great if we could have a society in which money isn't required and we all chipped in to better society. I guess that's what Star Trek is supposed to be like, though to my knowledge I don't think they explore that concept in depth. Unfortunately, a lot of humans need an incentive to pitch in (aka money paid for services rendered).

But I also see the trap that money is. Why the fuck does it take me 30 years to buy a house? Really? How does that make sense? My girlfriend pays $150/month for a nice little two bedroom duplex that overlooks the beach in Baja. How is it that my 3br/2ba costs 15 times that? Sure, location and security has something to do with it, but it doesn't pass the sanity check.

Ford didn't become a huge company by making cars no one could afford, instead they made cars almost everyone could afford. Same with apple and the iPhone.
Wait a second....The iPhone became ubiquitous because they were the only people who had anything like it. It was not cheap. $500 in 2007 is $622 today. That's four months of beach house rent! ??

TL;DR: If you’re active or reserve military, the DoD plans to test you for coronavirus, and maybe also test for antibodies.
Aww hell no. I saw a video of someone getting swabbed in the nose, they were back there so far it came out bloody. I don't need my brain swabbed, I didn't sign up for that!!

Compared to MOST of the world everyone in the US is living in excess even people with low/no incomes. Even the poor can receive free housing, and probably have a cell phone and satellite TV. I work in Baltimore and used to drive through the projects to get to and from my office (short cut) and I would go past the housing projects and see the satellite dishes on the balcony's of many units. How many people in Africa, India and many other countries have a solid roof over their heads and satellite TV?
Yes, this! 100% this. Nobody has any fucking perspective anymore.