• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
Do me a favor follow this from a legal/constitutional view point. I am sure you will be convinced you are barking up the wrong tree. Your cocktail party banter is at stake.
I'm well aware of the 1905 SCOTUS decision and the precedent it sets. I'm not arguing that it isn't legal. I just disagree with it. It's like my opinion man.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm well aware of the 1905 SCOTUS decision and the precedent it sets. I'm not arguing that it isn't legal. I just disagree with it. It's like my opinion man.
You can have your own opinion on any Supreme Court Opinion, or on the pending DOL regulation. One I might share. But saying a Court opinion is based on something that it is not, like highway and airspace use being a factor in DOT drug and alcohol testing, is not an opinion. It is demonstrably not true. Written in black and white.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
“Freedom pass”. I’m sure blue state politicians are taking copious notes. About the vaccine passports that is. I’m sure they’d never consider another lockdown.

Well, I guess you better get busy getting your “Freedom Pass”. ?

Hair Warrior

Contributor

"Clearly, a lab leak is the by far most likely explanation for the current pandemic which is further supported by these new documents.

"Any virologist who claims the opposite has now the burden to prove a natural origin.

"In particular, the Chinese researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology have to provide access to their coronavirus database which they deleted in September 2019 as well as to their lab notebooks and safety procedure protocols."

-Dr. Richard Ebright, biosafety expert, and professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Rutgers University

SlickAg

pilot
Article from three days ago. Today was the 16-2 No vote from the FDA on boosters for healthy people under 65. Hmm...scientific non-consensus where people disagreed with Fauci.

“The Biden administration is hoping to make boosters doses of the COVID-19 vaccine available to the general public in September, but Fauci said it will be contingent on the FDA reviewing data to determine if it's "appropriate and scientifically sound to do it." However, based on his experience as a scientist, Fauci said he believes their decision will be to "give the boost as opposed to not giving the boost."”

taxi1

pilot
Any virologist who claims the opposite has now the burden to prove a natural origin
I’m wide open to a lab leak theory, but this statement is bullshit. No, he didn’t successfully shift the burden of proof onto everybody else that doesn’t agree with him. The delta variant generates orders of magnitude more viral loading over the original, and did it by circulating in enough people in Brazil.

This statement from one of the FDA people

Dr. Cody Meissner, a professor of pediatrics at Tufts University School of Medicine, said he didn't think boosters would significantly contribute to controlling the pandemic.

"It is very important that the main message that we still transmit is that we have got to get everyone two doses. Everyone has got the get the primary series," he said. "This booster dose is not likely to make a big difference in the behavior of this pandemic."

I don’t think holding back boosters for the people who don’t want the vaccine is going to work. We are just going to have to sit and wait for them to get it and get well or die, clogging the hospitals until they’re done. I wish they would hurry up.

SlickAg

pilot
I’m wide open to a lab leak theory, but this statement is bullshit. No, he didn’t successfully shift the burden of proof onto everybody else that doesn’t agree with him.
What’s to stop you from getting in contact with him, professionally, and letting him know what you think? Not as a private citizen, I’m talking in a PhD to PhD kind of way. I’m sure that as a scientist he’d love hearing objective feedback about why his opinion is wrong. I bet you could easily get his email address and drop him a note. Let us know how it goes, looking forward to seeing his response!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What’s to stop you from getting in contact with him, professionally, and letting him know what you think? Not as a private citizen, I’m talking in a PhD to PhD kind of way. I’m sure that as a scientist he’d love hearing objective feedback about why his opinion is wrong. I bet you could easily get his email address and drop him a note. Let us know how it goes, looking forward to seeing his response!
I’m sure that will happen the about the same time you write your letter to the SECNAV and CNO regarding your displeasure with the Navy’s draconian COVID response. ?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I like it! I laughed! But then I got to thinking about how accurate the analogy is. I know it's a joke, but thinking about it lead me to research and I came up with the following:

1) Pee doesn't sink to the bottom of the pool after 8 minutes. At least I don't think it does. Airborne droplets tend to stay airborne for about 8 minutes.

2) Most cloth masks are probably as effective at containing COVID as a bathing suit is at containing pee. But both will decrease the velocity in which the contaminant enters the environment. A baffle, if you will. Hence, a mask/bathing suit is likely to cause the concentration to remain closer to its origin than an unmasked/nude bather who might project their contaminant further away. Volume increases with the cube of the distance. This is not the complete story on diffusion, but think of talking/weak stream peeing as spherical, while coughing or a strong stream might diffuse more as an *ellipsoid. The sphere and ellipsoid may have the same volume, but the ellipsoid reaches further from the origin. Then...diffusion takes place as the particles/pee spread in all directions to equalize their concentration. In the case of COVID, this diffusion takes place over about 8 minutes before it settles to the ground. In a pool, the pee continues to diffuse to the point you are almost guaranteed to ingest some if you stay in the pool and accidently suck in some pool water.

3) Pee, while gross, probably won't make you sick if you ingest it from someone in the pool nude or in a bathing suit peeing more than 6' away.? Also, we don't tend to intentionally ingest pool water. So while icky to think about, it probably has a minimal health effect on other swimmers.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, masks are most effective when combined with social distancing. How effective depends on a LOT of variables, such as type of mask, viral load of the breather, activity of the breather, distance from the inhaler, etc..

*For you math geeks: Yes, I know a sphere is actually just a special case of an ellipsoid. Also, the ellipsoid/sphere is a simplified model, considering we don't actually breath out of a 360 degree hole in our head, nor pee out of a similar orifice.

Follow the science.?

SlickAg

pilot
I’m sure that will happen the about the same time you write your letter to the SECNAV and CNO regarding your displeasure with the Navy’s draconian COVID response. ?
There’s quite the difference in our relative positions. I would just be some rando reservist so far removed from being haze grey and underway that any thought or opinion I have about anything is beyond irrelevant. (You helped me realize that, remember?) I haven’t been to War College, don’t have JPME, and I’m not the right rank, so anything I say to them would be dismissed. Now, have I made my feelings known to my immediate chain of command? Absolutely. Have there been changes made to policy because of it? I’m happy to say yes.

What I described in my earlier post would be an entirely conversation because it’s an entirely different situation. Two highly educated and learned individuals engaged in conducting research for the greater good at major universities with some of the best resources and support networks known to man. I would’ve thought that someone in that situation would feel a moral compulsion to reach out to his peer and explain where he’s wrong, and lead him back from having gone astray.

The difference is one of who’s on equal footing. I’m not on equal footing with the CNO and SECNAV. Two tenured professors at state universities are peers and should be happy to learn from each other. I’m sure the CNO would be willing to listen to the Commandant’s opinion, for example, a little bit more than some random, irrelevant reservist whose finger is nowhere near the pulse.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I like it! I laughed! But then I got to thinking about how accurate the analogy is. I know it's a joke, but thinking about it lead me to research and I came up with the following:

1) Pee doesn't sink to the bottom of the pool after 8 minutes. At least I don't think it does. Airborne droplets tend to stay airborne for about 8 minutes.

2) Most cloth masks are probably as effective at containing COVID as a bathing suit is at containing pee. But both will decrease the velocity in which the contaminant enters the environment. A baffle, if you will. Hence, a mask/bathing suit is likely to cause the concentration to remain closer to its origin than an unmasked/nude bather who might project their contaminant further away. Volume increases with the cube of the distance. This is not the complete story on diffusion, but think of talking/weak stream peeing as spherical, while coughing or a strong stream might diffuse more as an *ellipsoid. The sphere and ellipsoid may have the same volume, but the ellipsoid reaches further from the origin. Then...diffusion takes place as the particles/pee spread in all directions to equalize their concentration. In the case of COVID, this diffusion takes place over about 8 minutes before it settles to the ground. In a pool, the pee continues to diffuse to the point you are almost guaranteed to ingest some if you stay in the pool and accidently suck in some pool water.

3) Pee, while gross, probably won't make you sick if you ingest it from someone in the pool nude or in a bathing suit peeing more than 6' away.? Also, we don't tend to intentionally ingest pool water. So while icky to think about, it probably has a minimal health effect on other swimmers.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, masks are most effective when combined with social distancing. How effective depends on a LOT of variables, such as type of mask, viral load of the breather, activity of the breather, distance from the inhaler, etc..

*For you math geeks: Yes, I know a sphere is actually just a special case of an ellipsoid. Also, the ellipsoid/sphere is a simplified model, considering we don't actually breath out of a 360 degree hole in our head, nor pee out of a similar orifice.

Follow the science.?
Pee droplets in a massive pool, getting neutralized by chlorine and/or diluted, is very similar to COVID droplets in the open air, getting neutralized by UV light and/or diluted. The analogy holds. And obviously, if you’re all skinny dipping, you’re still not worried about the pee.