• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Mirage

pilot
Surprised I haven’t seen this USNI op-ed by HSC-22’s Skipper. posted yet.

Personally, I believe that HPCON-C should be used sparingly, like, say, GQ on a boat. Set it when you have to, but then relax it as soon as conditions warrant.
Excellent article. The LT mentioned who was pushed over the edge and towards leaving is one of many, I have no doubt. Myself being one of them. As I wrote to my CO, leaders have the ability in certain circumstances to take away sailors rights and freedoms, but this should be done with a scalpel, and the freedoms returned ASAP. They have callously and foolishly chosen the opposite approach, in my opinion. We've lost far more people to excess suicide alone than Covid, let alone the retention, mental health, morale, etc issues created.

SlickAg

pilot
This is pretty amazing. An actual expert recommends something that they end up adopting a few days later. The CDC is might have won the race to the bottom against the WHO.

bUt ThE sCiEnCe (TM)!!!

SlickAg

pilot
Excellent article. The LT mentioned who was pushed over the edge and towards leaving is one of many, I have no doubt. Myself being one of them. As I wrote to my CO, leaders have the ability in certain circumstances to take away sailors rights and freedoms, but this should be done with a scalpel, and the freedoms returned ASAP. They have callously and foolishly chosen the opposite approach, in my opinion. We've lost far more people to excess suicide alone than Covid, let alone the retention, mental health, morale, etc issues created.
Congrats. And TYFYS.

Is your CO a covid true believer? Or does he understand the impact this is having? It’s been amusing (yet also disheartening) to see the company men COs slowly start to realize what a terrible mistake this ended up being. Some dudes held out for even longer and then once the vaccine came out and people got them, and things didn’t change, they started singing a different tune as well.

All of the majors have started hiring again (minus SWA for now, but I bet that changes) and I’m not sure how they’re going to hit their VFA numbers anymore. I feel like all this did was delay the inevitable. Naval aviation flags are like the dudes still dressed in their tuxes sitting in the first-class bar of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg, congratulating themselves on solving yet another retention crisis. And the ones savvy enough to know the ship is doomed? They have a lifeboat waiting for them named Lockheed Martin, Boeing, or Raytheon.

SlickAg

pilot
Sexually assault some aides to focus the attention on something absolutely no one is shocked by?
They must play this on a constant loop. Alternate time between watching it and praising the picture of Fauci that hangs on their wall. Such bravery. Much wow. Very leader.

If the truth had been known back then (covid or his behavior) the media wouldn’t have covered him any differently and still covered for him.

robav8r

None
Contributor
And not just within DoD either, my company lost 13 individuals to suicide last year . . . . senseless and tragic.

taxi1

pilot
And not just within DoD either, my company lost 13 individuals to suicide last year . . . . senseless and tragic.
Holy shit, sorry to hear that.

But paradoxically, suicides we’re down last year. Go figure.

Suicides decreased by almost 6 percent last year during the COVID-19 pandemic, the sharpest drop in 4 decades.

Mos

None
Sucks that humans have the instinct to just invent derogatory terms to label people who think differently than they do, instead of try to understand and respect their points of view.

At this point we only have emergency use vaccines, the long term efficacy and side effects of which nobody knows. We are asking a huge percentage of the population to roll the dice and get one of these vaccines in order to hope they get protection from a virus that is basically guaranteed not to hurt them even if they contracted it. People who say no thanks are not the same as those who won't get other (non-emergency use) vaccines because they think Bill Gates is implanting tracking chips in them. They are not science deniers or trying to do any harm to anyone else. They simply are making what they view as the best choice for themselves and their dependents. If the vaccine is really 95%+ effective then everyone who chooses to get it need not fear those who do not, and those who do not are taking responsibility for their own lives and consequences. Those who do get the vax, by the way, also must take responsibility for their own lives and possible negative consequences. As should be everyone's right. Forcing it on anyone takes away that right.

No need to name call or try to shame the "others". Have some respect for the point of view of others, even if you don't agree with it yourself, and stop demonizing each other.
There's plenty of name-calling going back and forth in this thread. Curious that it was taxi's post that made you feel compelled to call it out.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I feel like a "hey, we all know that you don't have to wear a mask to be safe once you've been vaccinated, but since it's not practical (or legal) to check for vaccination status at every private venue we're asking everyone to wear a mask indoors until enough vaccines have been produced so that everyone who wants one can get one. That should occur around June."

Why is that hard?

Heh. That would be nice. The government simply isn't focused on our QoL.

All kidding, name-calling, and re-tweeting aside, my big fear in all of this is that it's leading (or has already led) to permanently bigger, more intrusive government.

Mirage

pilot
There's plenty of name-calling going back and forth in this thread. Curious that it was taxi's post that made you feel compelled to call it out.
If you notice, I used the plural and said both sides should stop that. I quoted the most recent example of it when I saw it. Taxi name called many, many times before the post I quoted as well, yet I also never "called him out" previously.

Congrats. And TYFYS.

Is your CO a covid true believer? Or does he understand the impact this is having? It’s been amusing (yet also disheartening) to see the company men COs slowly start to realize what a terrible mistake this ended up being. Some dudes held out for even longer and then once the vaccine came out and people got them, and things didn’t change, they started singing a different tune as well.
She's never said anything to me except the party line, so I have to think she's a true believer. She understands where I'm coming from but seems to think it's a necessary side effect of protecting everyone from Covid. She still isn't approving leave for sailors wanting to go to purple areas because she literally said she "needs to protect people from themselves." Nevermind that a town could have been green last month and purple this month without anything changing in that town at all.. since it's all relative. Or that a healthy military-aged person is far less likely to die from Covid than just driving around in their car, let alone other approved activities like skiing, riding motorcycles, etc. Makes no sense.

Also, contrary to reports here that it's illegal, she has openly said vaccinated people will get their leave approved in situations the unvaccinated will not.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
She's never said anything to me except the party line, so I have to think she's a true believer. She understands where I'm coming from but seems to think it's a necessary side effect of protecting everyone from Covid. She still isn't approving leave for sailors wanting to go to purple areas because she literally said she "needs to protect people from themselves." Nevermind that a town could have been green last month and purple this month without anything changing in that town at all.. since it's all relative... Makes no sense.
The guidance might be coming from a flag. The current guidance gives flag officers the ability to delegate out of area leave approval to unit COs, but in my neck of the woods they did so with clear "you will not approve leave if..." stipulations. One of those is if the county the member wants to take leave to was 'red' (> 100 per 100k residents infection rate). Humanitarian / hardship exceptions could be routed to the flag.

SlickAg

pilot
If you notice, I used the plural and said both sides should stop that. I quoted the most recent example of it when I saw it. Taxi name called many, many times before the post I quoted as well, yet I also never "called him out" previously.

She's never said anything to me except the party line, so I have to think she's a true believer. She understands where I'm coming from but seems to think it's a necessary side effect of protecting everyone from Covid. She still isn't approving leave for sailors wanting to go to purple areas because she literally said she "needs to protect people from themselves." Nevermind that a town could have been green last month and purple this month without anything changing in that town at all.. since it's all relative. Or that a healthy military-aged person is far less likely to die from Covid than just driving around in their car, let alone other approved activities like skiing, riding motorcycles, etc. Makes no sense.

Also, contrary to reports here that it's illegal, she has openly said vaccinated people will get their leave approved in situations the unvaccinated will not.

johnboyA6E

None
latest example of stunning and brave Navy leadership....

my son is 2nd class at USNA, and forwards this true story from last week at the Army-Navy Lacrosse game. Apparently the DepDant (otherwise known and Officer in Charge of Finding, Prosecuting and Disproportionately Punishing Minor Offenses of COVID Mitigation Policy) decided that some of the Mids might be sneaking alcohol into their drinks.
So, he went around, and took drinks from Mids (of legal drinking age), and tasted them to see if there was alcohol, then gave them back to the Mids. I'm no doctor, but I think that just might be a transmission vector..

This is the same DepDant who sneaks around the yard, and looks for people walking around 'too close to one another', or sitting outside eating lunch with too many people nearby, and puts them on restriction.

Never mind that the entire Brigade is fully vaccinated

the capacity to create cynical, jaded officers before they even commission seems boundless

SlickAg

pilot
latest example of stunning and brave Navy leadership....

my son is 2nd class at USNA, and forwards this true story from last week at the Army-Navy Lacrosse game. Apparently the DepDant (otherwise known and Officer in Charge of Finding, Prosecuting and Disproportionately Punishing Minor Offenses of COVID Mitigation Policy) decided that some of the Mids might be sneaking alcohol into their drinks.
So, he went around, and took drinks from Mids (of legal drinking age), and tasted them to see if there was alcohol, then gave them back to the Mids. I'm no doctor, but I think that just might be a transmission vector..

This is the same DepDant who sneaks around the yard, and looks for people walking around 'too close to one another', or sitting outside eating lunch with too many people nearby, and puts them on restriction.

Never mind that the entire Brigade is fully vaccinated

the capacity to create cynical, jaded officers before they even commission seems boundless
Honestly, sounds like they’re just preparing them for what they can expect once they graduate.

Think positively, it’ll only make the transition easier to the fleet easier for the mids!