• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I'm being asked to take a mandatory poll at work asking whether or not I plan to get the vaccine and it will not be anonymous. They will use the data to report to the state how many employees plan to get it so the state can plan for the proper number of vaccines. Interesting.
7th Fleet just instituted a requirement that anyone who is currently declining the optional vaccine need to fill out a form officially stating so for tracking purposes.

SlickAg

pilot
Mandatory contact tracing, smartphone apps, travel restrictions, and curfews. China is already doing this. You can’t go into a corner market or grocery store without showing proof of the app installed on your phone (and QR code scan-in).
I’d like to go back and parse the thread for everyone who said “what’s the big deal - it’s only for [insert overly optimistic length of time here]! These restrictions aren’t going to be permanent!”

It seems to me that the folks who were saying stuff along those lines in March and April want to double down on masks and some sort of lockdowns, keep schools closed, etc. I wonder if once an even greater number of Democrat politicians come out in support of reopening the economy that will be enough to change their minds?

Sidenote: once those restrictions become mandatory in the Navy, they’ll make everyone place their phone in a box at the turnstile, quarterdeck or in the ready room so that way entire divisions and shifts won’t get wiped out at once. And the bro code at the barracks will be that any time you go to the NEX or the mini-mart you take everyone’s phone with you so if there IS a positive pop, more people will get free time off from work.

SlickAg

pilot
7th Fleet just instituted a requirement that anyone who is currently declining the optional vaccine need to fill out a form officially stating so for tracking purposes.
Is this surprising to you? This is about as inevitable as the sun setting in the west.

They’re probably also posturing as to deny any sort of disability claim due to issues if someone got Covid after having turned down the vaccine.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Not just at seventh fleet... We just had our first shot-ex, and I found out the students all had to answer the same questionnaire, whether they wanted the vaccine or not. It's really no different than addition by subtraction tho, not hard to delineate who chose to vaccinate and who didn't. Having folks DECLINE the shot, which still is optional, certainly buys some protection from lawsuits.

I'm just hopeful that once all have been able to that wanted it(in their respective squadron/base location), they will reduce the masking rules (for all; in squadron spaces) and out in town rules (at a minimum for those that took it; ideally for all though). Not beyond whatever the local government has set obviously, but at least ditch the FRAGORD. If you took the vaccine, or chose not to, it's time to get back somewhat to normal (I'm not saying to ignore local mask edicts in town if they exist, or to choose to take a trip (although the mil should have nothing to say on this choice barring operational necessity to decline your leave) to infect a high-risk grandma that isn't vaccinated, etc). Everyone (in their respective military location) will have had the ability to grab a vaccine if they wanted it, or decline it if they wanted to wait for more data or until it becomes mandatory. So we can start treating all of these people, like, ya know, the adults they are.

SlickAg

pilot
Not just at seventh fleet... We just had our first shot-ex, and I found out the students all had to answer the same questionnaire, whether they wanted the vaccine or not. It's really no different than addition by subtraction tho, not hard to delineate who chose to vaccinate and who didn't. Having folks DECLINE the shot, which still is optional, certainly buys some protection from lawsuits.

I'm just hopeful that once all have been able to that wanted it(in their respective squadron/base location), they will reduce the masking rules (for all; in squadron spaces) and out in town rules (at a minimum for those that took it; ideally for all though). Not beyond whatever the local government has set obviously, but at least ditch the FRAGORD. If you took the vaccine, or chose not to, it's time to get back somewhat to normal (I'm not saying to ignore local mask edicts in town if they exist, or to choose to take a trip (although the mil should have nothing to say on this choice barring operational necessity to decline your leave) to infect a high-risk grandma that isn't vaccinated, etc). Everyone (in their respective military location) will have had the ability to grab a vaccine if they wanted it, or decline it if they wanted to wait for more data or until it becomes mandatory. So we can start treating all of these people, like, ya know, the adults they are.
I share your sentiments, but I don’t think the FRAGORD is going away anytime soon. The Navy isn’t concerned about your quality of life when the alternative is risking that there were “super-spreader” events where a Naval person ended up killing grandma(s). They also won’t risk another Captain Crozier situation, e.g. another PR nightmare.

SlickAg

pilot
We don’t have that problem in SCIFs ;)
True dat.

My point was that in my neck of the woods, they really don’t want to contact trace too heavily; things would come to a grinding halt fairly quickly if everyone was getting 7-14 day paid vacations all the time due to their cell phone being in close proximity to a positive pop’s cell phone for 15 minutes and 2 seconds the day before they started showing symptoms. No phones allowed = plausible deniability.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
As soon as the FDA approves it, you will be ordered to take it. You can mark that down as a fact...

My Skipper said as much today. It's only optional because it's working under an EUA. Once that's no longer the case, it'll be an annual shot.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
True dat.

My point was that in my neck of the woods, they really don’t want to contact trace too heavily; things would come to a grinding halt fairly quickly if everyone was getting 7-14 day paid vacations all the time due to their cell phone being in close proximity to a positive pop’s cell phone for 15 minutes and 2 seconds the day before they started showing symptoms. No phones allowed = plausible deniability.
You’re assuming that the policy (Navy or otherwise) would be a 7-14 day paid vacation. It could just as easily be something far less appealing.

SlickAg

pilot
You’re assuming that the policy (Navy or otherwise) would be a 7-14 day paid vacation. It could just as easily be something far less appealing.
Medically, they have to be isolated. Grouping them together wouldn’t fly either because one person who DID get it could then spread to others who DIDN’T, but got it once they all had to quarantine together. There’s no good solution for this other than stopping it all. And the Navy can’t do that. Even after the rest of the country goes back to “normal”, the military will still have restrictions in place long after. Judging from what I’ve seen of other services, I think the Navy will continue to be the most restrictive.

SlickAg

pilot
My Skipper said as much today. It's only optional because it's working under an EUA. Once that's no longer the case, it'll be an annual shot.
I heard the initial guesstimate is three years. Second-hand from a dude who was told that by a flight doc.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I share your sentiments, but I don’t think the FRAGORD is going away anytime soon. The Navy isn’t concerned about your quality of life when the alternative is risking that there were “super-spreader” events where a Naval person ended up killing grandma(s). They also won’t risk another Captain Crozier situation, e.g. another PR nightmare.
Can we finally look back and say Captain Crozier over-reacted and was justifiably fired?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Can we finally look back and say Captain Crozier over-reacted and was justifiably fired?

Yep. I was in his camp to start, but the benefit of hindsight is seeing that he probably deserved to be canned in terms of the rona’s actual risk to his force.

The flip side of that is we have the benefit of hindsight. He didn’t when he made his call. Not knowing much about the rona in his timeframe, he fell on his sword doing what he thought was best for his Sailors. Tough spot to be in but them’s the breaks of wearing a command pin.

SlickAg

pilot
Given what we knew at the time, I’m not sure I agree with that sentiment. I also said back then, and still believe, that my conjecture is that he was looking at things through a peacetime lens, which is blue loss is unacceptable. If the Navy had a different definition of acceptable risk and said stay out there on the wall and he continued to resist...that’s a different story. But I think he was a victim of his upbringing. When all you’ve ever heard for your whole career is “any unnecessary loss of life is unacceptable”, how can you blame someone for trying to live up to that standard?

Ultimately, I bet he sleeps just fine at night, because he thinks he did right by the men and women for whom he was responsible.