• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Covan Moving Inc.

haubby

None
Contributor
Anyone ever use Covan for their move? Today was by far the worst packout I have had to date in the Navy. The crew was unprofessional and inexperienced. They bickered at each other and two of them almost got into a fight in front of my yard. Not to mention they were here for almost 12 hours. I called their manager multiple times and told him what was going on but he wouldn't do much. Eventually I finally got him to understand my issues and concerns and he instructed the crew to leave the truck secured in the warehouse tonight and that my HHG's were to be repacked/re-inventoried tomorrow at their warehouse and nothing was to be unloaded off the truck till I arrived onsite in the morning. I'm pissed. Anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh yes, we had a horrible move with Covan as well. They took 2 days to pack us out and when we arrived in San Diego, they showed up at 4pm on a friday wanting to unload in an hour and refused to unpack. (Yes, we argued that one, refused to sign and had to let the PPO office know, so hopefully the government got their money back.) Our stuff showed up wet and beat up for the most part and we ended up having to process a huge claim against Covan. Oh and we discovered when unpacking that our packers packed awesome things like used barbecue tools and clean laundry together. Guess they just threw everything in a box the minute our heads were turned! (It was hard to to watch EVERY packer though because there were 4 of them and 2 of us.) Anyway, I feel your pain. Good luck with the rest of your move.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Movers are among the lowest forms of life on earth and it generally doesn't matter what company you get. When doing a military move, be prepared for the worst and hope you get lucky.

Brett

Raptor2216

This is exactly why I did a full DITY move this time with 2700lbs worth of stuff. I will never use the movers unless I have to move overseas and even then I'll avoid the movers at all cost. Doing it all yourself also brings in a lot more money but again the biggest benefit is the fact that there is no headache involved.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is exactly why I did a full DITY move this time with 2700lbs worth of stuff. I will never use the movers unless I have to move overseas and even then I'll avoid the movers at all cost. Doing it all yourself also brings in a lot more money but again the biggest benefit is the fact that there is no headache involved.

Enjoy that luxury while you still can. :D

Brett

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot

Yeah, get a couple of buddies to help you out for a few hours. You make a few thousand dollars and they get inconvienced for a day, a sore back and....pizza and beer?

Seems fair...
:eek:

And although I had some claims on my last move (the previous 2 were perfect), I still would have had a bigger headache had I done it myself. Although in the future I will get full replacement coverage. Lesson learned.

That said, USAA hooked it up and I got the full value of everything lost anyway.

Raptor2216

Inconvenienced for 2 hours actually...I packed everything by myself and just needed help with moving the heavier items to the back of the truck. If your "friends" aren't willing to help you move a couch and a headboard, they really aren't friends.

Yeah, get a couple of buddies to help you out for a few hours. You make a few thousand dollars and they get inconvienced for a day, a sore back and....pizza and beer?

Seems fair...
:eek:

And although I had some claims on my last move (the previous 2 were perfect), I still would have had a bigger headache had I done it myself. Although in the future I will get full replacement coverage. Lesson learned.

That said, USAA hooked it up and I got the full value of everything lost anyway.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Still it sucks. I only had about 3000 lbs of stuff that filled up the huge truck. Took forever loading it and unloading it. Granted this was the end of August in the south texas heat. Still, I never want to do a dity move again. To hell with the money I made off of it, it was a pain to do.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
...just needed help with moving the heavier items to the back of the truck....a headboard...

Who has a headboard, anyway? If you need help moving a headboard time to hit the gym, devil-dawwwwg...Unless it is like a super nice, rich mahogany headboard. But you are around 24, right? So if that is the case, please see 10 U.S.C. 654(b).

My point is its fine to ask a but to move, but realize you are using them as free labor so you can make a shit-ton of money. I still help friends move. No problem. But lets call a spade a spade.

And we have all seen the guy who has his "buds" over to help him pack all his stuff then put everything on the truck. In that case I would just as easily say, "A real friend doesn't treat a friend like a laborer on a Saturday he could spend __________(fill in any other activity of choice)." Don't be that guy. Karma will find you.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Still it sucks. I only had about 3000 lbs of stuff that filled up the huge truck. Took forever loading it and unloading it. Granted this was the end of August in the south texas heat. Still, I never want to do a dity move again. To hell with the money I made off of it, it was a pain to do.

*whispers* Partial DITY, partiiiiiaaaallllll.......

k_smittay

Haubby- That sucks to hear man. Mayflower moved me and it was flawless. Everyone talks about the horrible experiences moving with the military, but I haven't had one yet.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I've moved quite a few times and I've always had drinks for the movers (water/gatorade/etc) and bought them lunch, both for the packout and loading. Yeah, it's basically a bribe, but hey, so far, knock on wood, I've had great moves.

Raptor2216

Of all the things people have been ridiculed for on AW, even I never expected this. I guess if someone is 24, they can't afford a nice bed or should be living like poor college students. I also guess it is now a crime to have a a friend give you a hand when you have done the same for them in the past.

The fact is I would have made nearly as much money after all rental, gas, food and lodging expenses had I done a partial DITY but like I said before, the main benefit is having all your stuff with you in one piece, not having to wait a week to get your stuff back and not worrying about people breaking your sh!t because they don't care one bit about it.

Maybe you have had bad experiences in the past with your friends but I think it is pretty much out of line to call someone "one of those buds" when you don't know that person at all. I don't know about your friends or what they think of you but I can assure you, I know the people I can count on and they know I will return the favor. By the way, I'm almost 26 and yea, if I wanted to damage the headboard, I would have picked it up myself but what do I know, its only my stuff that I paid quite a bit for.

Who has a headboard, anyway? If you need help moving a headboard time to hit the gym, devil-dawwwwg...Unless it is like a super nice, rich mahogany headboard. But you are around 24, right? So if that is the case, please see 10 U.S.C. 654(b).

My point is its fine to ask a but to move, but realize you are using them as free labor so you can make a shit-ton of money. I still help friends move. No problem. But lets call a spade a spade.

And we have all seen the guy who has his "buds" over to help him pack all his stuff then put everything on the truck. In that case I would just as easily say, "A real friend doesn't treat a friend like a laborer on a Saturday he could spend __________(fill in any other activity of choice)." Don't be that guy. Karma will find you.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
You think your pissed now wait till you get your stuff on the other end. You'll have at least twice as much, but not in a good way.