• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Covan Moving Inc.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I am still searching so forgive me if this is listed somewhere else, but let me bounce this one off of the veterans...

How about the idea of doing a full DITY, and then hiring a moving company? Has anybody here done this or know somebody who has? Do you still make any money on the move, especially if you do the packout yourself?

I have 8000lbs and I'll be damned if I'm going to haul it myself.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Granted I've not been through this yet, but having some experience with moving companies as a civilian, and knowing what fuel surcharges are these days, I would say it would be hard to profit from this maneuver.

Then again, I don't know how much they give you guys for DITY's.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I am still searching so forgive me if this is listed somewhere else, but let me bounce this one off of the veterans...

How about the idea of doing a full DITY, and then hiring a moving company? Has anybody here done this or know somebody who has? Do you still make any money on the move, especially if you do the packout yourself?

I have 8000lbs and I'll be damned if I'm going to haul it myself.

https://pptas.ahf.nmci.navy.mil/pptacalc/index.jsp

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
After 13 Navy moves, here are my two cents:

Realize your stuff is just stuff. Sometimes very nice stuff, but still stuff. Insure it if you want and make a claim when something does get damaged or lost - of course it will happen. Surprise, no one cares as much about your stuff as you - not even when they're paid to. (Except maybe the Japanese, man those guys were enthusiastic!) It's not worth losing sleep over or losing your cool on.
I used the Navy picked movers for all but 2 mid-tour moves. Some were good, some were not. The gouge presented about being friendly, providing food and drinks (++ for asking what they would like prior), and paying attention to the packers and inventory are all spot on.
The Navy won't foot the bill for mid-tour moves except under certain circumstances. On one of two mid-tour moves I packed and moved all the little things and hired "Two Guys and a Truck" for the monster items. On another one, I and a bud in the same command swapped labor for each other's mid-tour moves. Both those were on my dime.
As far as DITY and making money: yeah, you can, but are you and your buds in the moving business? I never needed the money bad enough to put someone out that bad.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doing a DITY alone is great, until you have 17k pounds of household goods to move as I did. Then we did a regular move and a partial DITY. Make some nice $$$.

Watch the movers closely. Take lots of pictures/videos before you have them arrive. Buy extra insurance from your insurance company for the move. Speak with your insurer about exactly what is covered and how the claim process will work if you file. Expect the worst.

We had the movers try to list our sofa and loveseat as scuffed, dirty and scratched. It was delivered new a few days before. We ended up refusing to sign the paperwork and documented what they were doing as they wrote everything up in much worse shape than it really was.

Try to be as corteous if you can with the movers.

There is no easy way to move in the military, but you'll get better at it. Make the movers unpack everything and remove all packing material as well.

Good luck.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Movers are among the lowest forms of life on earth and it generally doesn't matter what company you get. When doing a military move, be prepared for the worst and hope you get lucky.

Brett

Japanese movers are pretty damn good, from what I've seen. They are professional and EXTREMELY fast. Be careful though, they can take things quite literally and might just pack your cat if you're not careful.