• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Covan Moving Inc.

JMMH

Ugh.
From Pensacola to Corpus, we were moved by Coastal Movers, a Mayflower affiliate... they were AWESOME. Polite and efficient. One of the packers was also the driver, so we met him again in CC.

The local Mayflower here- I want to say Corpus Christi Transit- I was also very impressed with the guy they sent. (Plus the Pcola driver/packer.)

Both ends called to let us know their status- which was on time!

No claims, and no complaints!

MasterBates

I look at it this way. When friends need help DITY or a new guy needs help, I help.

Yes, my buds (Scoober78 and some others who don't post here) helped me make coin. I'd do the same for them.

I don't have much crap. I still made about $1400 after expenses to move to Krock.

Much less headache than dealing with movers.

When I go up to Norfolk for the RAG, I will partial DITY, but that is not that much junk that they take.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Of all the things people have been ridiculed for on AW, even I never expected this. I guess if someone is 24, they can't afford a nice bed or should be living like poor college students. I also guess it is now a crime to have a a friend give you a hand when you have done the same for them in the past.

The fact is I would have made nearly as much money after all rental, gas, food and lodging expenses had I done a partial DITY but like I said before, the main benefit is having all your stuff with you in one piece, not having to wait a week to get your stuff back and not worrying about people breaking your sh!t because they don't care one bit about it.

Maybe you have had bad experiences in the past with your friends but I think it is pretty much out of line to call someone "one of those buds" when you don't know that person at all. I don't know about your friends or what they think of you but I can assure you, I know the people I can count on and they know I will return the favor. By the way, I'm almost 26 and yea, if I wanted to damage the headboard, I would have picked it up myself but what do I know, its only my stuff that I paid quite a bit for.

Touchy touchy touchy.....
I thought it was a rule that by advanced you had to start accepting humor into your life. Including on an internet forum. Noted.

Might want to get taking one's self too seriously thing toned down for the stay in Meridian. Just a friendly thought :icon_wink

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
From Pensacola to Corpus, we were moved by Coastal Movers, a Mayflower affiliate... they were AWESOME. Polite and efficient. One of the packers was also the driver, so we met him again in CC.

The local Mayflower here- I want to say Corpus Christi Transit- I was also very impressed with the guy they sent. (Plus the Pcola driver/packer.)

Both ends called to let us know their status- which was on time!

No claims, and no complaints!

My brother is a driver for ALLIED and has been doing it for the past 11 years. Before I enlisted in the navy I actually went on some cross country trips with him and was a mover. He's awesome. He has been ranked in the top 10% of the Allied fleet 10 out of his 11 years on the job. The top 10% is determined by the number of damage claims and customer complaints. Usually the drivers are good, but its the help that they have to hire at certain locations that is sometimes horrible. My brother fires guys all the time because they are slow, rude to the customers, or breaking a lot of things. My brother loses money on that stuff. But yeah, having a brother that does that and having done it myself, its a good thing to be nice to the movers. Even if the customers are assholes, my brother is still going to do an awesome job, but its the hired help that I would worry about.

haubby

None
Contributor
IBB- I even bought the guys soda's and pizza for lunch. The first couple hours they seemed ok and worked hard but it went downhill from there.

illnick2001- Yeah I'm going to love to see the condition of my HHG's when it finally gets to Iowa in five months.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
IBB- I even bought the guys soda's and pizza for lunch. The first couple hours they seemed ok and worked hard but it went downhill from there.

That sucks man. Don't forget about the PPO office too. If you're having problems with a mover, call the PPO office local to where you're at and they'll either send someone out to where the move is happening or to the mover's office, sometimes both, to straighten it out. When the moving company starts to believe that they'll lose money/contracts, they usually work better.

phrogpilot73

Had two good moves, and one horrible one... My last move (my getting out move), had a great driver (former Marine) that even left me a dolly and some tarps to help with organizing the storage area.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

They probably eat pizza and soda for lunch everyday of the week. I'm trying grinders and lemonade to see if I can't get better service on my next packout.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That sucks man. Don't forget about the PPO office too. If you're having problems with a mover, call the PPO office local to where you're at and they'll either send someone out to where the move is happening or to the mover's office, sometimes both, to straighten it out. When the moving company starts to believe that they'll lose money/contracts, they usually work better.
I was going to say the same thing.

haubby

None
Contributor
The PPO Office wasnt very helpful either when I called this morning. Not that I expected reimbursement on a crappy packout, I just wanted to let them know of the substandard service. The PPO lady just told me "Well they are going to repack/re-inventory all your stuff...What more do you want?" I about lost it on her then I calmly asked to speak to her superviser. After talking with her supervisor I received decent service from Covan, but in my opinion it was too little too late.

Casual

Jammin'
None
We just got our HHG move delivered yesterday by Allied. Took them about a week and a half to deliver from Reno to Pensacola, and so far everything is in good shape. Two large pizzas probably helped during the pack out.

robav8r

None
Contributor
As a veteran of many PCS moves, I can offer a few tidbits:

- Bitch loud and clear about shitty movers/packers. Write letters and complain formally to the PPO on both ends. You can also cc the base leadership chain as well. Also, you don't have to accept the company that is assigned to your move. Ask about their reputation and performance.

- Packers do better when your house is organized and ready for the pack-out. We have always made it as easy as possible to pack our stuff when the packers arrived (pictures already off the walls, rooms organized in a manner that facilitates packing, etc).

- We have ALWAYS asked the packers what we could do/offer to make their pack-out easier (drinks, coffee, snacks, etc). Almost every group of packers we have had said: "please, no pizza!!!" A few bucks spent on a lunch that THEY want goes a long way (it's the whole "attracting more bees with honey than vinegar concept).

- Ask questions, question what you don't like, and make it clear that this is YOUR stuff and YOUR move.

- A friendly, courteous, and authoritative demeanor (and of course getting them what they want for lunch !!!) will go a long way towards your successful move.

Just my .02c

Rubiks06

pilot
My experience with COVAN

We just had Covan move us. Overall it was not that bad. They lost one of our Storage units from the garage and destroyed one of my wifes craft carts. Everything else made it with the exception of a few dings and dents, again after moving 2000 miles i cant complain too much. We treated the packers in the front end to chick-fil-a and on this end they got pizza. All were professional. One of the packers in p-cola was kind of an idiot packing a road bike helmet under a cast iron pot and balling up hanging clothes on in a wardrobe box instead of hanging them. After talking to him and him explaining this was his 4th moving job in as many months we kind of understand why. Overall not too shabby. Big lessons learned.
1. Lunch and drinks is a must.
2. Use totes they just put them in boxes and this goes quickly.
3. Label which room you want the boxes to go into in the next house.
4. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING HAS A NUMBER
5. Makes sure that they aren't writing down damage that isn't on your furniture and if they do, write in the bottom that its minor and superficial in nature.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
They stick numbers on each box/item that they take out of your house. Each number should be listed on a invoice sheet. If you get to the other side and something is missing, but has no number associated with it, there is no proof it existed.

They are basically little stickers.