• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CORTRAMID West T-34 flight

81montedriver

pilot
It always has been the norm in every other command I've been at, but apparently they run things a little differently here. I got the short form done in about 2.5 hrs, but then the appt girl told me the doc wasn't available for 2 weeks.

I had the same problem, that my squadron flight doc wasn't around for the counseling portion. Instead, they had me see one of the docs from another squadron and I got my upchit that same day. Do they not have many flight docs where you are at?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've NEVER heard of such a wait... That's terrible/unsat.

That's how things are done at Pax. You get your Part 1 done in some interminable amount of time and then get told you have to come back in a few weeks to see the doc and get your up chit signed off. I'd say it's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen, but the clinic here is AWFUL. Short of actively killing patients I don't know how they could get much worse.

When I was TAD to Norfolk I made it a point to have my flight physical done there. "But Norfolk is huge and the worst place on earth!" you say? I had a 0800 appt (that I showed up to at 0757 and didn't get "counseled" on how a 0800 appt equates to a 0745 show time) and was in line at the NEX Starbucks with a signed up chit in hand before 1000.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That's how things are done at Pax. You get your Part 1 done in some interminable amount of time and then get told you have to come back in a few weeks to see the doc and get your up chit signed off. I'd say it's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen, but the clinic here is AWFUL. Short of actively killing patients I don't know how they could get much worse.

When I was TAD to Norfolk I made it a point to have my flight physical done there. "But Norfolk is huge and the worst place on earth!" you say? I had a 0800 appt (that I showed up to at 0757 and didn't get "counseled" on how a 0800 appt equates to a 0745 show time) and was in line at the NEX Starbucks with a signed up chit in hand before 1000.

Or the doc is part of JOPA, and you call his cell and get a signed chit within a few hours.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From the 30,000 foot view...

Or the doc is part of JOPA, and you call his cell and get a signed chit within a few hours.

This really shouldn't have anything to do with JOPA and is just a sign of a good doc.

There's some of us who don't even have a squadron doc to call, and you miss it when you don't have it.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
My two cents on the T-34 low safe thing, without this turning into a penis size measuring contest. Since the Harrier is so specifically A/G, they train to it all the time, there is a higher level of proficiency associated with the risk of CFIT. The Hornet community, has the same risk (nose pointed at ground, going 450kts), but without the proficiency or currency, so that is mitigated by putting an IP in a T-34 at MinAlt to make sure people are getting their noses up. Proof of that would be the Hornets ability to hit the ground, vice the Harriers (if that zero cfit thing is true).

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
My two cents on the T-34 low safe thing, without this turning into a penis size measuring contest. Since the Harrier is so specifically A/G, they train to it all the time, there is a higher level of proficiency associated with the risk of CFIT. The Hornet community, has the same risk (nose pointed at ground, going 450kts), but without the proficiency or currency, so that is mitigated by putting an IP in a T-34 at MinAlt to make sure people are getting their noses up. Proof of that would be the Hornets ability to hit the ground, vice the Harriers (if that zero cfit thing is true).

This might be valid if it we weren't talking about the FRS's.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Ok, I give up. It's actually a conspiracy, as always, to hold the poor Marines back from anything that could be considered a good deal or fun. Like the bad deal that is Miramar, or Camp Pendleton.

Edit: Geez, I almost forgot, the F-35B is primarily responsible for the fiasco that is the JSF program. My point of all of this being that, them not getting T-34s doesn't make them the 'perpetual victim' that we get to always hear about. It somehow seems to work out in the end.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Yeah, that's what we end up doing, but that's because the Clinic is so screwed up. You shouldn't have to use backdoors and hookups if things were working.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Ok, I give up. It's actually a conspiracy, as always, to hold the poor Marines back from anything that could be considered a good deal or fun. Like the bad deal that is Miramar, or Camp Pendleton.

Edit: Geez, I almost forgot, the F-35B is primarily responsible for the fiasco that is the JSF program. My point of all of this being that, them not getting T-34s doesn't make them the 'perpetual victim' that we get to always hear about. It somehow seems to work out in the end.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. How does two bases (one of which we got directly from the Navy) equate to having boondoggle aircraft? How is that made even better by us getting the least capable F-35? Because a small but powerful number of Marine leaders wanted that version?

The T-34 debacle is absolutely a Navy/Marine thing. The Navy takes care of itself, and we get what's left over. Always has, always will.

There's no sense for us bitching about it. It is what it is. Like I said earlier, If we wanted nice stuff, we should have joined the Navy (or better yet, the USAF).

That's where more money always is.

This isn't that big of a deal. But let's not pretend that it's all for a practical purpose or that this great safety idea is equally distributed. It's not.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
This might be valid if it we weren't talking about the FRS's.

This isn't really a FRS thing. 106 doesn't have any T-34's, the just borrow them. I'm not sure how the West coast does it. If it's true that the Harrier has had 0 CFITs, then maybe that is your answer. The Hornet community has had CFITs so that is why we need the T-34s. Harrier pilots are so good that it isn't an issue. I'm pretty sure that the Harrier community has had some close passes, but maybe they decided to put their money elsewhere. Please stop acting like this is some big secret that the Navy has T-34s that are used for low safes, general proficiency and as a flight time augment. It's not like the funding is coming from some black program budget.

thebluto

pilot
None
thebluto
Cut up for scrap, in reply to huggyu2's question about where the T-34s are going. I have some pics on my cell that I can post later.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa456/thebluto/

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bluto,

Where is that? Is that at Corpus as a SARDIP bird or is it somewhere else awaiting the axe?