• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

Bergers2short

None
I don't have any experience with the content of the AF JPME program, but the AF recently changed how their JPME is completed to good reviews. I was on a JAG thread at another site and an AF JAG had this to say about it: "we've since moved over to a system run by Arizona State University. It is shockingly better and far more student friendly - a lot of my gripes about the program are now OBE. It is much much easier to knock out courses faster or work ahead in the self-paced course work while waiting for a facilitated course to start. It is still a big time commitment but a lot of the system impediments have been removed - a motivated student can make much more progress much faster than under the old Air University run system."

CoyoteK

I have no idea how, but I managed to get a slot in the JPME I/ War College course. It's interesting stuff and not incredibly difficult if you can write well and are good a skimming a metric ton of required reading. I am at 18 good years and this should get me to the finish line.

CoyoteK

Forgot to mention I am an IRR guy, so it was completely unexpected. The gal in charge of admissions told me two years ago to move on, highly unlikely I would get a slot.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
* metric tonne

But seriously, that's great that you scored a slot as an IRR reservist.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
It's important to clarify...

The IRR is comprised of both the Active Status Pool (ASP) and the Volunteer Training Unit (VTU).

The IRR-ASP are people who are in a non-pay, non-drill status.

The IRR-VTU are people -- like me -- who are in a non-pay, drill status. We are just like SELRES (CAC Card, email account, have to drill monthly, medical/dental, GMT requirements, no annual AT but can go on other paid orders).

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
IRR NWC Alum...It's an exclusive club.

AND...for the record it's metric-shit-tonne

subreservist

I have no idea how, but I managed to get a slot in the JPME I/ War College course. It's interesting stuff and not incredibly difficult if you can write well and are good a skimming a metric ton of required reading. I am at 18 good years and this should get me to the finish line.

Awesome!

I don't think the NWC notes the type of reserve officer - I think it's all the same to them!

If I had to guess, I think you may be benefiting from a last-minute cancellation. Active duty would have a harder time to prepare for a spur of the moment callup for a rigid formatted course, especially at this time of year.

How close was the gap from when you were notified of the slot until you actually started the program?

CoyoteK

How close was the gap from when you were notified of the slot until you actually started the program?

I was notified about 6 weeks ahead of time. Was on the waiting list for almost 3 years. It was a metric ton of time to wait but well worth it.

The admissions person (some retired Colonel) was adamant that IRR (especially ASP folks such as myself) would never get admitted. Fun course but I think the NWC Black Board web design was completed back in 1998 and hasn't changed since.

subreservist

Looks like you were high on the list! Plus 6 weeks notice is kinda short for most active duty to fill it, assuming they are actually executing the list based on their noted priority.

The point structure has changed from the “old” days and I believe you get credited upon completion of the entire 41 week course. Hopefully, it gets you to the finish line!

SELRES_AMDO

The points are different too. The in person Fleet Seminar courses get you A LOT of points. All three courses will get you roughly 300 points. But, you also have to show up weekly for 3 hours for 9 months per course.

Yes, so no Master's Degree but I believe it awards a master's certificate. Whatever that's good for....
I wasn’t trying to “poo poo” it; I did the distance learning one and really enjoyed it. Some of the other comments made me think maybe you got into a hybrid or in residence one. I was just curious. Again, congratulations!