• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

snake020

Contributor
Ask yourself where the money would come from?* Would it come from RESFOR N7 (which is how schools orders almost always get funded)? Will the managed communities pony up (they can still funnel the money into N7, the accounting has to work somehow)? If you score orders there then what's the payback, what does the contract look like?

This place is as good a place to ask. Pester your chain of command about it too (well, obviously chain of command is always a big part of the answer). When you have senior leadership visits to drill weekend or on teleconferences, bring it up then- or better yet ask ahead of time. Sometimes they have round tables, like broken into E1-E6, CPO mess, wardroom, and that's usually a better forum than the all hands "anyone have any questions?"

* I'm not actually asking anyone on here. It's just that money is the big question that will need an answer if SELRES are to be eligible for this.

As a matter of practicality, highly doubtful SELRES would ever score in residence orders to NPS.

Best opportunity would be the various distance learning courses. I was fortunate enough to knock out three postgrad certificates before leaving active duty; would like to pursue more of their cyber certificates if the opportunity were there.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
As a matter of practicality, highly doubtful SELRES would ever score in residence orders to NPS.
Agreed- there has to be a really good payback on it, well two paybacks. One is from the servicemember owing time in return. The other for the community's return on investment- the community has to get something that they can't already get from recruiting or from its existing force. The RL communities are already well-populated by people with civilian credentials and certifications and their recruiting is competitive enough that you need a pretty impressive resume to get in the door in the first place.

SELRES_AMDO

Throwing this out there to help others.

I completed the Fleet Seminar Program through the Naval War College. Courses meet once a week for 3 hours for the entire academic year. You can get a Master's degree out of it. Reservists are eligible as long as you're an O-3 or higher. Each course counts as a correspondence course.

I managed to get 360 retirement points out of it. Roughly 100 per class that is in person plus the two distance learning classes that were roughly 30 points each. Completed my Master's for $750 (I had to pay for one class from Troy). I gave my GI bill to my kids. Worth looking into if you don't want to spend money on a graduate degree.

Bergers2short

None
What location did you attend classes at? What were the class sizes and participation level like? I've always thought of doing the FSP as a way to reconnect to my undergrad studies (Poli Sci-IR), but after getting my JD and dealing with the bar exam, I'm in no hurry to rejoin the classroom.

SELRES_AMDO

I did it in San Diego. Class size was roughly 10 - 20 students per class. Some students would quit after the first week and class sizes would drop. You're graded on participation in a seminar format where you must contribute to the discussion. Workload was a few hours of reading per week and 3 - 4 papers each class. No tests.

It wasn't a fun three years since the work is time consuming and if you have a normal job/reserve job/family it is another thing that will require your attention. I did learn a lot and felt it was worthwhile when I finished. You also get JPME Phase I completed and your ODC will show 48 week in residence War College graduate. So it's a good deal if you can manage it.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
The new FY21 course list is up on the IRR Courses/Reserve Retirement Points site. Does anyone know how to access the SSO courses?

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
Has anyone posted any points lately. I did in January and I called last week for a verbal point capture. It doesn't sound like they have been entered to NSIPS.

AFUAW

pilot
Curious if anyone has any recent information on JPME-1. I know historically the Air Force version has been rumored to be better (i.e. easier), but both the Navy and Air Force versions have undergone changes recently I understand. I am unashamedly a lazy reservist interested in the path of least resistance here and just wondering if anyone has any recent info.

Curious if anyone has any recent information on JPME-1. I know historically the Air Force version has been rumored to be better (i.e. easier), but both the Navy and Air Force versions have undergone changes recently I understand. I am unashamedly a lazy reservist interested in the path of least resistance here and just wondering if anyone has any recent info.

my info is dated, but 10(?) years ago I started the AF one and dint like it. They did condense the info into a few small self-published books, but it seemed like a lot of propaganda they created by themselves amd I just couldn’t get into it. I finished the Navy distance learning, and feel better being able to talk about Clausewitz, Sun Tsu, and the battle of Tsushima.
As said, it’s a slog with work, family and reserves. I did learn that I could do all the reading, get totally into it, and earn an A-. Or, I could skim the assigned reading (chapters from the giant box of books) and stsrt the papers hours before they were due and get a B-.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I completed 2 out of 3 JPME Phase 1 modules back when it was still a 3 module curriculum. It's now changed to a 5 module curriculum if I'm not mistaken. Additionally none of the courses are 1 and done for a full year. I was able to get 2 good years out of 2 courses. All that being said, I think it would still be worthwhile. Like VXC you can bust your butt for an A or skate to a B-. I was in the middle...kinda worked, but not hard, for a B+ in both my courses.

subreservist

I don't think too many here are familiar with the updated JPME at Naval War College. The new version is really just 1 long continuous course that cover 5 "blocks" of study. Once you've started, you really need to stick it out until completion, because it could take awhile if you drop and attempt to come back later. There is also a long wait list for enrollment and reservists are low on the pecking order. The point structure has also been adjusted. Gone are good ol days of using 1 (out of 3) courses to get a good year complete!

Airforce still looks like the "easier" option, but have no experience with them to support that claim!

You are right Subres about my info being outdated; when I did JPME, you could "milk" it for three good years if in the IRR. For what it's worth, I doubt the curriculum has changed that much, and in looking at the AF stuff vs the Navy stuff, I actually thought the Navy stuff was more interesting...which helped me slog through. Looking at the curriculum below, it seems like mostly the same material. I personally enjoyed the Strategy portion a lot (lots of historical analysis), like knowing about (but not learning about) the how we come up with our defense strategy, and kind of phoned in the rest, which many people loved. The current (2021) blocks are pasted below for reference.

Block 1: Operating within the National- and Theater-level Security Arenas | Core Course, Required
Students will learn what it means to be a professional serving in today’s rapidly evolving national and international
security environment.
Block 2: Fundamentals of Strategy | Core Course, Required
Disciplines of history, political science, and international relations, along with military factors from the profession of arms
are integrated into a coherent approach that provides students with a conceptual frame of reference to analyze and
formulate military strategies to address them.
Block 3: Operational Art | Core Course, Required
Provides the student a disciplined, cognitive foundation for solving military problems: Operational Art.
Block 4: Joint Capabilities | Core Course, Required
Students will learn the proper employment of naval and joint capabilities at the operational level of war.
Block 5: Joint Planning Process | Core Course, Required
Students will address the topics and processes necessary for understanding and planning today’s military security
challenges.

subreservist

You are correct also, vxc! They haven't really changed much in terms of content. Actually, they removed material they felt was no longer needed and just merged it all into a continuous format vice separate modules.