• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Consequences for Veterans and/or retirees in the 2021 DC Riots

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Conviction or acquittal, we're going to learn something about where the Republicans stand, which is a good thing. Make them take a position, not try to escape by arguing process.

What do you think Trump's witnesses are going to argue?
But what if process is germane? Indeed, process is vitally important to all proceedings of consequence whether a statutory promotion board in the military to university admissions and, of course, the courts. I understand the visceral need for some to get the most damning accusations, if not evidence, on record. But, most of the election lawsuits brought by Trumpsters were dismissed on procedural grounds. The same people that celebrated those decisions and even misrepresent some of them, are to bristle at the use of procedural arguments now? If trust in the government and Congress in general is a problem, then making short shrift of the process is no way to begin to restore it.
Chief Justice Roberts refuses to preside over the impeachment, citing that the impeachment is unconstitutional on the grounds that Trump is no longer THE president.

Since he is actually a lawyer and makes a living interpreting the Constitution, I'm inclined to take his word for it.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
FIFY

Truth is, neither you nor I can be certain Roberts didn’t say it to Rand Paul/others in private. Period.
But even the article you quoted doesn't say Sen. Paul said the Chief said it. It said the Chief said "he is not supposed to come unless it is impeachment of the president so this is an illegitimate procedure." I don't read that to say impeaching a former president is unconstitutional; it says having the Chief preside when the president is not on trial is illegitimate. That's not the same thing. Maybe the Chief thinks it is unconstitutional to hold the trial at all, but I don't think that's a fair reading of what the Senator is saying he said, given the context relating to whether or not he will preside, not whether the trial should happen.

I also find it very hard to believe Justice Roberts would express an opinion on the constitutionality of the trial, knowing it would likely get out to the public since it would clearly be useful to politicians, but my invites to his cocktail parties have all been lost in the mail (thanks Trump), so of course I can't say. I will note that he is hyper-focused on the legitimacy of his Court (to a fault, imo), and it would be a pretty big no-no for a Justice to just throw something like that out there (not because its correct or incorrect, but because it is awful close to being an advisory opinion with no case or controversy before him). He, more than anyone, would almost assuredly like to stay out of this mess.

SlickAg

pilot
I love how the people who made a hobby out of dissecting everything Trump said, or more importantly, what he didn’t say but clearly meant with his body language, can’t figure this one out. It doesn’t matter if the Chief Justice said anything, his absence from the trial clearly sends a message as to how he views the trial.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love how the people who made a hobby out of dissecting everything Trump said, or more importantly, what he didn’t say but clearly meant with his body language, can’t figure this one out. It doesn’t matter if the Chief Justice said anything, his absence from the trial clearly sends a message as to how he views the trial.

Disagree. For one, he is a Supreme Court Justice. He knows his words matter whether a speech to a university graduating class or in a written opinion. He is not Trump or Biden. He knows how to communicate with precision. As to his actions, it is not clear at all there is any message or what it may be. See the posts above. Read the original reporting. There are very good reasons not to preside at the senate trial beside not wanting to partake in an unconstitutional proceeding.

Since we are mind reading, I'd guess he would not find the trial, especially the Impeachment resolution itself, unconstitutional. What is your case to the contrary?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s the thing about being delusional, you think it’s the obvious truth.

What was delusional about my post?

Trump lied. Trump lost. Then Trump lied some more and tried to coerce officials into overturning a free and fair election. None of that is fake news or delusional, just plain fact laid out (and taped in one case) for all to see.

taxi1

pilot
That’s the thing about being delusional, you think it’s the obvious truth.

One more symptom of your classic TDS.
This would be delusional if Trump actually believed it. Instead it is just incredibly irresponsible.

“The other thing, dead people. So dead people voted. And I think the number is in the — close to 5,000 people. And they went to obituaries. They went to all sorts of methods to come up with an accurate number. And a minimum is close to about 5,000 voters.”

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Seek a mental health professional. TDS can be treated. The first step is easy, ask for help at your nearest psychiatric hospital.