• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Consequences for Veterans and/or retirees in the 2021 DC Riots

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They absolutely deserve to be prosecuted, but your claim that they were part of an armed insurrection is a little ridiculous.
I wouldn't call it ridiculous according to the dictionary definition of what an "insurrection" is.
Merriam-Webster said:

The thesaurus then compares several synonyms, emphasis mine.
Merriam-Webster said:
REBELLION, REVOLUTION, UPRISING, REVOLT, INSURRECTION, MUTINY mean an outbreak against authority. . . . REVOLT and INSURRECTION imply an armed uprising that quickly fails or succeeds.
"Armed uprising that quickly fails." People were armed. Definitely was an uprising. Definitely, and thankfully, failed quickly.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Some were armed and it was indisputably a violent uprising against the elected government. What's ridiculous?
Saying that “some” were armed therefore it’s an armed insurrection is ridiculous. It was bad. It was ridiculous. But words have meaning, and it wasn’t an “armed insurrection”.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Saying that “some” were armed therefore it’s an armed insurrection is ridiculous. It was bad. It was ridiculous. But words have meaning, and it wasn’t an “armed insurrection”.
So you don't deny it was an insurrection?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I don't think anyone can answer that question in this moment. A large amount of the folks actually in the building were allowed to simply leave, therefore we really have no idea how many were or weren't armed. But what is known is that there were firearms confiscated from some. Which sounds "armed" to me. I also didn't specifically say that this particular guy was "armed", though who knows what was in his badass operator kit.

BigRed389

None
I don't think anyone can answer that question in this moment. A large amount of the folks actually in the building were allowed to simply leave, therefore we really have no idea how many were or weren't armed. But what is known is that there were firearms confiscated from some. Which sounds "armed" to me. I also didn't specifically say that this particular guy was "armed", though who knows what was in his badass operator kit.

Some were armed and took the Capitol by force.
Some were calling to execute the Vice President for doing the specific task entrusted to him in explicit language in the Constitution.

Whether calling the above an armed insurrection is tough when there is a large mob where most people are not actively doing these things, but “ridiculous” is probably a bit of an exaggeration. It’s fuzzy...but really not that far from the mark.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If you’re arguing that a handful of people in a crowd of thousands is the threshold for “armed insurrection” then I guess we’ve had a LOT of those recently.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There's still a lot of fog of war at this point (that's just a figure of speech!) but there is probably enough video out there that would last weeks if you played it end to end. That'll help.

Speaking of figures of speech and turns of a phrase, a week ago I would have told you "storm the capitol" is just a metaphor.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you’re arguing that a handful of people in a crowd of thousands is the threshold for “armed insurrection” then I guess we’ve had a LOT of those recently.

Yes, our country is in a very dark and unfortunate place at the moment. I'm just talking about the Capitol siege at the moment, since that is the topic at hand.

flgator92

None
Last time I checked, retirees with <30 years of service are bound by the UCMJ as they are considered Fleet Reserve until that 30 year mark where they are moved over to the Regular Reserve List. So, if Air Force policy is similar, he is nonetheless subject to the UCMJ.

More generally, however, military officers- whether retired, active, separated under honorable conditions- all took an oath to support and defend the constitution. Participating in a civil riot/halfhearted insurrection like we saw at the Capitol goes against that oath. I was told at OCS military officers are and ought to be the leaders of the military both in legal function and in spirit. That obligation shouldn’t end when we transition to civilian lives. We should always hold ourselves and each other to a higher standard. Anything less discredits the uniform we wear or have worn.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I wouldn't call it ridiculous according to the dictionary definition of what an "insurrection" is.

The thesaurus then compares several synonyms, emphasis mine.

"Armed uprising that quickly fails." People were armed. Definitely was an uprising. Definitely, and thankfully, failed quickly.
By your post, all the “mostly peaceful” riots of the last year from the lefties, Antifa and BLM were also armed insurrections.

Hypocritical of the mainstream media, Dems and libs.