• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Consequences for Veterans and/or retirees in the 2021 DC Riots

SlickAg

pilot
Again... READ the Twitter Terms of Service... They can ban or remove content from their platform... The above Tweet expresses their condemnation of governments shutting down the Internet.

Apples and oranges...
They sure can, in compliance with Section 230. Once they start removing content they don’t like...they’re engaging in editorial conduct and lose their safe harbor protections. This is, again, why they are pretty careful about how they do it.

Thanks for showing up late to the party, but we’ve sort of moved past this one already.

Mos

None
Sure, I was just pointing out that some people may not have access or ability to post something to social media by the time people looking from the outside-in would require one.
The president is not one of those types of people. The president is the archetype of a person with access.

SlickAg

pilot
Certainly everyone can have an opinion but what says that everyone needs a platform?

Pre-twitter my choice was a letter to the editor of the paper or papers, a town hall type meeting, a street corner, or buy my own publishing company. If no one wanted to publish my screed then it didn't get published. The notion that a platform is some sort of right is a bit... interesting.

To the earlier question as to how to improve where we are i think people need to understand where govt begins and ends and where business begins and ends. And people also need to understand that business, even if doing things that they sell as a public service, is not beholden to citizens beyond what makes their bottom line look good. No matter how noblely that company sells itself it's still selling itself and isn't bound to it's founding principles in any legal way like a government is bound to it's constitution. For instance, despite their purported ethos, there's very little that would stop Patagonia from pivoting to buying land in the Alaskan NWR and to start drilling for oil. Sure, it may shock their past customers but the business leaders may not care as long as they're making money.

Don't think for a second that any media company assiduously watches their market share and who's consuming their ideas. If the current perceived political alignment of a newspaper stopped generating money because that political alignment is no longer popular then we shouldn't be surprised that that paper pivots to whatever the new hotness is to keep their market share. That's why there's a regrettable dearth of media coverage on the US Whig party or the Bull Moose party these days.

Bottom line: citizens need to understand that businesses aren't the same thing as a public park and what that means for rights between the citizen and a business and that those rights aren't the same as the rights between a citizen and the government.
Good on you for being so engaged civically.

Here’s the problem: print media is dying. It might already be dead. Subscriptions are drying up. People consume their news digitally. When they watch the news, a LOT of people don’t do it via a cable provider - they stream it. Through the internet.

I’ve made my argument for how the internet is essential. If it wasn’t before, they government made it essential during the COVID lockdowns.

With social media, all types, EVERY USER is a “publisher” if you will. Everyone has a voice and an outlet. You can engage, share, argue, agree, whatever. That’s how those companies market themselves.

That’s where I disagree with @sevenhelmet. You can make an argument that social media has become essential. Like it or not, it’s become firmly entrenched in our lives.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
The president is not one of those types of people. The president is the archetype of a person with access.
True, but I said access OR ability. I'm certainly not defending how long it took to get a message out but maybe there are reasons why it took that long. That's all I'm getting at.

johnboyA6E

None
re: POTUS, there are reports (alas, unnamed sources in the west wing....) that say Trump was watching it all unfold live and was loving it, and couldn't understand why those around him didn't feel the same way and had no intention of calling them off. it was Jared, Ivanka, et al who finally forced him to text SOMETHING (which ended up being very weak sauce). then a few hours later the second tweet that said 'go home, we love you'

i'm sure more specific/verifiable details, statements from named individuals, etc will come out, but based on what is available that timeline looks like an absolute shit show.

if true, his own VP was in harms way, not to mention the rest of congress, and he didn't do anything about it for hours. it certainly looks like he refused to sign off on the National Guard for a long time. I think he's at least guilty of not "taking care that the laws be faithfully executed"

hopefully the full true story will come out so we're not subject to years of competing narratives

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
EDIT: Just wanted to add that the platform in question is once again turning out to be the bane of our society.

Changing directions here, but goes to the pathology of recent events.

So, I live in the upper midwest and I often wonder where all the crazy talk comes from when I hear it from people I actually know. And I always ask myself where so-&-so got that idea from because some of this stuff just doesn't "Pop up" in idle day dreams while driving their tractor or pickup. BUT, here's a small sample of the kind of "stuff" that is out there. I'm going to link the article to the local paper, Fargo Forum, but if that doesn't work, there's also a link to the Pastor's video. In it, the Shepherd of this flock is calling for some serious stuff. I can't help but think if this guy was in the Middle east he'd be called a cleric...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=486 118752784890

I couldn't agree more. Someone in my family who believes these crazy Conspiracy theories also sent me this video, being spread via the Book of Faces. How can anyone believe this stuff.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
re: POTUS, there are reports (alas, unnamed sources in the west wing....) that say Trump was watching it all unfold live and was loving it, and couldn't understand why those around him didn't feel the same way and had no intention of calling them off. it was Jared, Ivanka, et al who finally forced him to text SOMETHING (which ended up being very weak sauce). then a few hours later the second tweet that said 'go home, we love you'

i'm sure more specific/verifiable details, statements from named individuals, etc will come out, but based on what is available that timeline looks like an absolute shit show.

if true, his own VP was in harms way, not to mention the rest of congress, and he didn't do anything about it for hours. it certainly looks like he refused to sign off on the National Guard for a long time. I think he's at least guilty of not "taking care that the laws be faithfully executed"

hopefully the full true story will come out so we're not subject to years of competing narratives

This is just as bad as the guy in the video I posted, more conspiracy theories with no evidence to support them.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Twitter is a business - a public business that is now selectively and arbitrarily deciding who can and cannot patronize their business. This isn’t a private club where you need nominations and pay member dues; it’s no different than any fast food or retail store. You can’t pull the fire alarm falsely, assault a worker, or shout obscenities in a McDonalds and expect to be let back in again, but you also shouldn’t be refused entry to a McDonalds if you walk in calmly wearing a baseball cap that says MAGA or BLM on it. And Twitter is trying to do just that.